1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are we not talking about the whale's vag--a in the room?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Point being... do the Colts even entertain the thought of letting Manning go if they had finished... 6-10 the year he missed and were picking 6th, 7th, 8th in the first round?

None of this exists in a vacuum. They're not going to just dump Rivers because he's old/expensive. They'd do it because they are positioned to draft his heir apparent and could, in theory, leverage him to address other needs. When will they have that opportunity again?

I mean... they're 46-50 since 2010; most recently 4-12. They're not winning anything of significance with Philip Rivers and this current cast. Why would you NOT investigate turning him into assets for your next franchise QB? In any other sport, that is exactly what the fan base would be demanding; leverage the older/expensive star to help accelerate the inevitable.

If I could land 2-4 top prospects *and* a potential franchise QB and all I had to do was pull the rip chord a year or two early on the Philip Rivers era... That's a no-brainer, to me.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Speaking of ignoring whale vaginas in the room, there was that whole possibly career ending neck surgery thing.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

So Rivers seriously considered retirement after the 2014 season

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

QB's are aging very well these days... especially a guy like Rivers, with limited injury history or arm/neck/nerve trouble.

With quick turnarounds happening every season as well... and teams like the Saints and Cowboys apt to hold on to their aging, expensive, yet still productive QB's... I don't see the Chargers bucking the trend and deciding to get rid of Rivers.

This entire thread, and subsequent made-up narratives and postulations reminds me a lot of the "Astros could trade Altuve!" take earlier this year. That Tony Kemp was on the cusp!

#64 Nick, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  5. Hey Now!

You're the largest, wettest blanket imaginable. God forbid we kick around fun, plausible ideas to try and solve our favorite team's festering wound. We'll all quickly get off your lawn so you can yell at clouds some more, grampy.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Huh?

Nothing wrong with proposing ideas/solutions, but at the same time don't get upset when it's pointed out how unlikely or improbable the idea is from coming true.

You really take things too personally... Much like whoever suggested the Astros were almost assuredly looking to move Altuve, and the made-up narratives and reasons why it could be true, and when that was thoroughly debunked/disproven (not to mention tony kemp wasn't the second coming of Joe Morgan), there was apoplectic response followed by silence.

Regarding this, even if the Chargers draft a QB, they're still better off keeping him around. They're unlikely to get close to decent value in return, and there's still the matter of another team paying his large extension (which wasn't a concern in the 1 year old article you keep drawing from). It would be more probable, but just as unlikely, for the Texans to make a run at Brees or Romo.

#66 Nick, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. Hey Now!

Not upset; why would you assume I'm upset? Because I found your condescendingly pissing all over the thread lame? Nah. Are you upset?

None of this is remotely true. Again, I'm not upset and none of this is personal; I don't know you (or 99.999999% of the other people here) - why would I take anything anonymous people say personally?

And no one suggested the "Astros were almost assuredly looking to move Altuve." You want to talk about made-up narratives... That's such a blatant misrepresentation of the thread, you either have a poor memory or you're acting like a dick. I challenge you to find a single post (at least of mine) in which anybody suggested the "Astros were almost assuredly looking to move Altuve." We speculated on reasons why they might, if so inclined, be willing to move him, and how it might be a good move for them. But other than transparently idle speculation, no one thought they were moving Altuve.

Re: Tony Kemp; nobody mentioned Joe Morgan; more made-up bull****. He caught our attention because his career OB%, through AA, was .408. For a team starving for someone who could get on base, he was an intriguing prospect, especially after Altuve posted a 30-game stretch mid-season with a sub .300 OB%. Frankly, Kemp remains intriguing. After struggling his first 40 games in Fresno, he posted a .374 OB% the final 30 games. He now has a career OB% of .393 in three professional seasons.

As for silence... Altuve turned his season around; a fact owned by those who suggested dealing him and there was nothing left to say. There was no apoplectic response; no humbled silence. In fact, I'll personally defend my position on that: he was struggling such that his 2014 season was beginning to look more exception than rule. He was sensational the rest of the way and they would have been foolish to trade him.

I'd still consider it for the right deal; but that's my opinion.

I don't disagree. At the same time, turning Rivers into potentially 2, 3 or 4 valuable assets, while not jeopardizing their drafting of his heir apparent, is a pitch the Texans should absolutely, positively make to the Chargers and I'm surprised it's a rock I haven't heard more people turn over.

I'd rather the Texans call San Diego and New Orleans (who are not in the same unique position as San Diego) than kick the tires on retread/reclamation projects like RG3.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You honestly thought what I was doing was "pissing?" Develop a thicker skin, bro.

You use a lot of "we", "us", and "our" in these excessive/unnecessary paragraphs... when it was really just you proposing this *idea*, with plenty of people (us) shutting it down. Sounds like you're still considering it for the right deal... which would be a huge mistake considering the production Altuve is capable of and (more importantly) his extremely low salary.

The reason people haven't been talking about it is because the Chargers have absolutely no more desire to trade him... that went away with the extension that makes him virtually untradeable without a huge restructure... and we all know Phillip's reluctance to move anywhere, let alone another state.

Secondly, who do you suggest they trade for him? There aren't many 2-3-4 valuable assets for singular player trades in the NFL (for good reason... as you would likely mitigate any sort of improvement you'd gain with a QB if you weaken the roster elsewhere.

New Orleans, unlike SD, could be looking to restructure Brees' contract due to his exorbitant cap figure... hence why he may be more gettable if they commit to a total rebuild, but again he has to be on the market, and teams have to be actually looking to trade pieces in order to make them possible/probable/plausible (and overall discussion worthy).

#68 Nick, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  9. Hey Now!

(Apologies, ClutchFans...)
    I'm not going to link to every poster that genuinely considered, if not supported the notion of dealing Altuve (you can search the two threads yourself - here and here; there were many) but I am going to post a few examples because, frankly, I'm sick and tired of you blatantly misrepresenting me.

We'll start with Buck Turgidson, who, if you'll note the time stamp, is actually the one who initially proposed the Kemp/Altuve idea; not me
    ...sealclubber1016
    ...rezdawg:
    ...cangrejero51
    ...DaChamp
    ...bobloblaw
    ...rocketpower2
    ...leroy
    Yesterday, I genuinely wondered if you had a bad memory or were just acting like a dick. Pretty sure I have my answer.

But, go, Nick - try and save face, again, with more bull****. Spin away; tell us how all these people somehow translate to "it was really just you proposing this *idea*, with plenty of people (us) shutting it down." I mean, even your little condescending victory lap isn't really true; I didn't count - but there are at least as many people exploring the idea of trading Altuve as shutting it down.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

It's interesting to read comments I made back in the day.

I still stand by that. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Strong work... must have taken you a good chunk of your morning to research all of this. I'm sure it helped you remember all the posts that were staunchly against trading Altuve at the time, for good reason... but yeah stand by quoting guys like Cangegrero and the rest of the knee-jerk reactions to an early slump (everybody needs to respect the 162 game schedule a little more... and Altuve's innate ability to find his level).

In the end, the point was how it would have been a dumb/bad move... but you so strongly believed in it (much like you do here, when you started this thread), and you get so engrossed/obsessed and attached to an idea/opinion, that you do take it personal (or simply just react poorly) when its viably shot down or disagreed with.

Hence why your reaction to me (and others) explaining why Rivers is a long (no)-shot reminded me to your reaction of when it was explained that trading Altuve was a long (no)-shot.

So think about that the next time somebody finds one of your GARM-like trade proposals devoid of much substance... before you simply resort to name-calling and accusing people of "pissing" on a thread. You take things too seriously/personally... when there should be far more wiggle room and ability to concede error for discussing opinions that are largely abstract and not black/white.

#71 Nick, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  12. Hey Now!

ANYHOO...

So, I'm curious... in baseball, to a lesser extent basketball, dealing an expensive, older veteran is not only common but generally encouraged and accepted. But in the NFL, not only does it rarely happen - there's seemingly no traction for it from fans.

I understand some of the potential reasons: football has much greater parity; great QBs are harder to find; and there's a salary cap (although, it should be noted, the NBA cap is, at least in one way, more restrictive, with salaries having to be matched).

Are we just conditioned to say "no" in the NFL; "yes" in the NBA and (especially) MLB? Should we be? If, say... four years from now, the Texans are consistently an 8-, 9-win team, would we not want to turn JJ Watt into 2-4 younger, cheaper assets to accelerate the rebuild? Does anybody regret that the team didn't deal Andre Johnson two years ago (after 2-14) and turned him into a more valuable future asset?

It's interesting to me how often it happens in football; more: how few fans seem to clamor for it.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

The bulk of this thread has been that there is no way the Chargers will do this not that the Texans won't love to do it. I love Philip Rivers. To say he's an upgrade at QB for the Texans is an understatement. I just don't think this is worth a lot of discussion since there is a tiny chance that it happens. As I mentioned before, we discussed the possibility at length before the he signed a contract extension that includes a no-trade clause.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its the lack of guaranteed contracts effect.

A team that no longer wants an aging player can simply just cut him to get out of the last expensive years of the contract (minus the cap hit)... likewise, other teams would be reluctant to give up decent trade value for a player that is on the verge of being released.

There's also a vast difference in what is seen as "valuable future assets" in the NFL vs. other sports. In baseball, you have young/talented prospects... in basketball you have expiring contracts and future draft picks (but only 2 rounds)... in football, a 3rd-4th round pick would be the going rate in most trades, with only a 1st or 2nd round pick departing for a truly valuable player. There's still a huge unknown factor with draft picks, but there's also the fact that NFL 1st-3rd round picks are expected to be immediate starters or valuable future contributors, unlike other leagues' draft picks. But still, the fact that the MLB and Basketball players will be paid regardless of where they end up plays a role... and the only way to acquire that guaranteed contract would be via trade.

Rarely will you see a football team giving up on a young/talented player for an aging veteran... there's just too much day-to-day/week-to-week/season-to-season turnover in the NFL to jettison promising players that are in your control. There's also the injury/depth factor... depth far more important on NFL rosters as its a matter of when, not if, that you'll need to have viable injury replacements ready to go.

15. Hey Now!

I hadn't thought of that... that makes sense. Except (generally), it really makes no sense whatsoever. Why would anyone, in any sport, just give away an asset? That seems like a silly waste of resources, doesn't it? And, once released, the player in question would become a free agent - so there IS incentive for an interested team to deal ahead of release to guarantee they land the guy. Similiar to what the Texans did with Mallett; they could have waited for his release; but the trade removed any uncertainty.

I understand that the NFL is unique, in that they can get out of a bad deal easier. But isn't there an accelerated hit on the cap (I'll admit to not really, truly understanding all the cap ramifications in the NFL)? You're out from underneath the contract, yes; but you pay for it, potentially for years, right? And you have nothing to show for it.

(Or is releasing easier on the cap than a trade?)

Agreed. But let's just talk NFL, then... which is more valuable: a 4th round pick? Or absolutely nothing?

I think that's where my disconnect is; ignore the Texans for a minute - if I ran the Chargers, I'd be champing at the bit to deal Rivers and turn him into cheaper, younger assets. What's the incentive to keep him?

16. Hey Now!

Forget Philip Rivers and the Texans; I'm asking generally: why don't NFL teams deal aging/expensive assets in order to acquire cheaper/younger assets?

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Because of the contract and salary cap. A lot of contracts are set up to allow teams to cut players towards the end of their contracts with not as much affecting the cap. You see them being cut or not being resigned than being traded. It's even worse when it's obvious that a team is ready to get rid of a player. The Texans couldn't even find a suitor for Andre Johnson and likely won't find one for Arian either. Teams would rather just wait for the player to get cut and claim him off waivers. When they are traded, teams don't get as much back for them. See Brandon Marshall (5th round pick), Jared Allen (6th round pick), and Haloti Ngata (4th and 5th).

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Wonder what Rivers thinks about the Chargers and Rams reaching an agreement to share a stadium

19. So Good

So Good Member

Drafting a QB for San Diego maybe smart. But if the Chargers do, they keep Rivers. They can't trade him.

$18M in dead cap if they trade him. The first year the Chargers would save money on Rivers is 2018 and by barely.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-diego-chargers

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I heard he just got his wife pregnant, again.