1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kitchen Remodel - Cabinets

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I bought an older home with plans to remodel the inside over a few years. Due to a broken pipe, which will require a near gut of the cabinets along the wall, I'll be remodeling the kitchen a bit earlier than planned.

Does anyone have recommendations on cabinets? My wife likes Ikea, and I do too to some extent. They seem solid built, look decent, and are the cheapest I've found (less than $2k for 10x10'). My issue is that the choices seem limited (for example, only a few sinks which don't allow for a side sprayer, one choice of wine racks, etc).

Does anyone have an Ikea kitchen and if so, how do you like it?

Any suggestions for other cabinets around that price? Home Depot and Lowes start around $4k for 10x10, which is out of our budget.

Thanks!

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My buddy did his condo with Ikea cabinets and he likes them a lot. They have better modern cabinets than traditional cabinets in my opinion but the quality is very good.

He did not use them for counter tops and sinks. He bought those seperately.

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I used to work in the remodeling industry, not too many places I know of that you can get a 10x10 for that low. In all honestly, usually you get what you pay for. I understand the circumstances are unexpected and I am sure the budget is due to not planning on doing this project yet.

MDF cabinets aren't a bad thing, as long as you know what you are getting and understand the differences between products and pricing, you should be okay. Is that pricing including doors, drawers, handles, knobs, and pulls? Delivery and Install? Sink, faucet, etc? Sometimes what's advertised is not what you get.

Here is a review I found on Ikea kitchen cabinets.

http://www.thekitchn.com/faiths-kit...a-kitchen-renovation-diary-faiths-budg-184072

Hope this helped!

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

We used IKEA in our post Ike beach house. They seem to be fine.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Good friend of mine who is a carpenter used Ikea cabinets for the kitchen in a house he was selling- he liked them just fine for the price and the expedience.

Side note- fun drinking game in Ikea- drink every time you see a couple arguing. Chug when one of them storms off.

6. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

I really like my Ikea cabinets that I installed in our office.

7. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

If you go the Ikea route, take a look at http://www.semihandmadedoors.com/, they sell doors that use the Ikea bases. I don't have experience with them, but read a lot of good reviews.