1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets re-acquire Josh Smith in trade with Clippers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Jan 22, 2016.

?

Do you like the Josh Smith trade for the Rockets?

1. YES

539 vote(s)
    96.3%
  2. NO

21 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

What's not to like? Acquire a key piece from last year, whose loss really seems to have impacted the team, at essentially nothing. He wasn't doing much for the Clips (why they traded him), so he should be anxious to get back. Hard to see any negatives here.

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Either that or they were desperate to get rid of him and Houston was the only team he was willing to go to.

3. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Smith's biggest thing for us was his p&r defense and ability to rebound. We have no power forward that can offer one or the other. Jones sucks at p&r defense, and rebounding. Trez is an okay D rebounder, good O rebounder, okay p&r defender but it's not like our coaching staff teaches positioning.

D-Mo is not a high rate rebounder(or at the rate Smoove is), and was an okay p&r defender.

4. Rio Rocket

Rio Rocket Member

LETS RIDE

[​IMG]

5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

So is he gonna play tonight or?...

:lupe:

6. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

I am buying LP right now!

7. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

Or, when the Clippers disappeared, but whatever.

Gives you an idea of how good they think he is...

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lmao this is the greatest thing ever, pure comedy.

Thank you Clippers, for signing Smith for cheaper then we where offering and trading him back to us. Thank you Smith for going over to the Clippers to mess up their chemistry. I fully hope that in our next game against the Clippers that Josh Smith kills them.

This is great, we can now trade one of TJ or Dmo with no PF in return.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I really like the move... We haven't been the same without Smith. Maybe we will never be the same but this is worth a shot.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Not stupid comments because Rivers made the decision to sign Smith, promised him playing time, knew his style of play and his personality....

11. Rio Rocket

Rio Rocket Member

we got a 'secret' clippers fan

12. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

OMG WELCOME BACK SMOOVE BUDDY OMG YES!!!!!!

13. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with this.... the Rockets are COMBUSTIBLE as any team I have ever seen..... but I would favor them in a playoff series against the mentally weak Clippers and Doc "I don't know how to make adjustments" Rivers.

Harden..... Howard...... Smith....... Lawson ...... that is a lot of undisciplined talent.

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Another teams garbage can be someone else treasure. Still surprising they let him come back to Houston to help its weakest position.

15. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

never...

16. Nook

Nook Member

He should be.... Smith doesn't clog the lane and gets out in transition... this will help Harden's game.

17. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

It was mentioned earlier, but I want to make sure everyone knows my favorite part about this trade:

Rockets offer to re-sign Smith - $2.49m
    Clippers signed Smith for - ~$1.5m

So we saved about $1m by trading for him....but wait! The Clips also sent us $460k. So.....we basically saved $1.5m thanks to his choice to go to the Clips.

I'm too lazy to see what we did with the money we offered him, if anything. But that could be icing on the cake.

Of course, I probably would have given up that $1.5m we saved to have had him on the team from the get go.

18. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

dont forget we also dont have to pay his full salary

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's their fault though.

He may not be right for anyone else, but he's right for us.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

There are no negatives. Smith is a better defender than Jones. He's got a better offensive game than Capela. He's obviously healthier than D-Mo(who isn't other than Dekker?). He fit in great with the team last year and helped them win a lot of games sans Dwight and T-Jones. There are even minor things that'll make a huge difference. Such as Smith now handling the ball in transition instead of Brewer which will mean fewer boneheaded drives to the hoop through 3 or 4 defenders.

Now I don't think this will magically turn the team's fortunes around. But it's definitely an improvement. And if God willing D-Mo can get healthy and Harrell can solidify a spot in the rotation, T-Jones will become expendable and can be traded before the deadline instead of being lost for nothing this summer.