1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm Alumni. I can't call you that because you stated you weren't.
    Why would I be mad if UH goes anywhere? I'm not a UH Alumni.

A UH alumni/student would have said something when a Rice alumni insults their academic program.

but you didn't. Because you are fixated on UT. You are on the Big 12 expansion rumors page, but didn't post any real rumors.

Colleges are different from Pro Sports, they don't move Colleges, UH won't move to Louisiana.

2. shsu33

shsu33 Member

I did respond to BigTexx comments. I said that UH academics is on par with Big12 schools and that laughing out loud was ignorant. Never compared UH academics to Rice academics b/c that would be ignorant. Apples to oranges. Where UH to other Big12 is apples to apples. Old 99er must be losing his mind b/c I typed it, go back and look.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

A t-shirt coog fan?

I'll buy you a beer. Or give you free tickets to one of my remaining Rockets games.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

The only apple tree close to UH is in Lubbock, but it's still ranked higher.
    Other than that, UH is not close to any other orchards in the BIG 12

Ranking UH vs Texas Schools in the Big 12

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...=&spp=25&sort=college_name&sortdir=asc&page=3

University of Houston

Houston, TX
    #187 (tied), National Universities

Baylor University

Waco, TX
    #72 (tied), National Universities

Texas Christian University

Fort Worth, TX
    #82 (tied), National Universities

Texas Tech University

Lubbock, TX
    #168 (tied), National Universities

University of Texas--Austin

Austin, TX
    #52 (tied), National Universities

5. DonnyMost

I always found it funny how we're behind Tech every year in USNWR when we have...

1) A lower acceptance rate
    2) A higher number of applicants
    3) More national merit scholars
    4) More top 10% HS graduates
    5) A higher Carnegie research rating
    6) More ranked graduate programs
    7) A higher average SAT/ACT score

The only metric I know of Tech has over us is a higher 4 year graduation rate.

Tech has been in the low 100s for 20 years now, meanwhile UH has climbed up from "unranked" into the top 200.

The trajectories are pretty clear.

6. shsu33

shsu33 Member

Well those numbers really suck but I do know that only UT, aTm, Rice & UH are the only Tier 1 universities for research. I would have thought that would make them higher on list but guess it didn't. I'm assuming UH would be rising not falling since getting Tier 1 status not that long ago. Obviously UH should strive to get higher on that list but it shouldn't stop them from also striving to have P5 athletics program while doing so. Hopefully they can do both, I'm sure more money could help academics which would be more if they were in a P5 conference.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

The Cougars can't count as part of Houston city sports? I got family allegiance, but for me, if they went to a school outside Houston, I wouldn't have cared that much about it. Not sure if you are sarcastic or not.

8. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

I'm fairly certain that he was being serious. It's really rare to have t-shirt UH fans, especially those who didn't go there.

If you ever go to any of the home games, shoot me a message and I'll show you around all the good tailgates. Glad to have you aboard, brah!

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Tinman isn't gonna let y'all in!

10. tinman

Supporting Member

the 99ers control the big 12 and the sec!

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Cougars are Houston sports. They lose just like Houston sports.

1 person likes this.
  12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

http://collegesports.blog.statesman...ill-take-vote-next-week-on-championship-game/

Boren basically met with his bosses and they told him to shut the **** up. I think he's right about no votes being taken and that they'll have a lot to talk about and discuss. I'm sure all the school presidents are meeting with their regents to find out where they stand given the grant the conference got for the championship game. He also acknowledges he doesn't actually know what the other presidents are thinking (and their regents by extension). We do know that West Virginia is in favor of expansion for obvious reasons while UT, Baylor and TCU are against it. That being said, who knows going into it.

EDIT:
    This article has more quotes and is a pretty good read: http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra...cle_58753a16-e88b-53be-85ed-fe25feee4577.html

#532 Brando2101, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  13. jbasket

jbasket Member

I was saying that...

But they win though ;)

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

SN sources: Big 12 to talk expansion of member schools this week

15. tinman

Supporting Member

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

UCONN has a vastly superior basketball program than UH, and they beat UH in football this year. Plus the tri-state area (NYC) media market. Not much rationale to take UH over them.

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I don't think UH is in any discussion outside this forum, people in Houston and maybe the Texas state legislature. They seem to have moved on from the big 12 anyway since it's not secure enough for them. Godspeed.

I guess Cincy and UConn are the best option. I like BYU but it seems like expanding west after already going to east Virginia is awkward. Plus, they have their own version of the longhorn network which might make the current situation worse. The article doesn't touch on UConn giving the big 12 access to the New York City tv market. Maybe it won't? UCONN is on New York's SNY network but so are 10 other sports teams. Your best hope is that UCONN comes into the big 12 and starts winning which doesn't seem likely in football. Their attendance isn't too great either but the school brings a ton more value in Basketball.

Cincy is a pretty good pickup across the board: Big market, midwest region, decent attendance (37k), good ratings for the AAC.

The playoff picture next year will probably dictate the urgency. If it's like this last year and the champion easily makes it to the final 4 then you might not see much action. If it's like TCU/Baylor for a couple years ago then I'm guessing invites go out next feb.

It's a pretty boring issue really compared to the chaos of 4 years ago.

18. DonnyMost

Coogs gonna be balls deep in that discussion. Git r dun, Renu.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I am sure she will do her best, but it isn't the only conference. Honestly, it is a poorly ran conference; going from A&M, Nebraska, Mizzou and Colorado to.... hoping to add UCONN and CIN....

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Thanks for the haterade bigtexxx, it was just enough to upset #12 SMU, lol