1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Sources: Ty Lawson is being showcased for the Bucks tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

I think the most frustrating part is that we can see Ty trying on the defensive end as opposed to Harden. I don't know how many times I've seen Ty be the only one back and have to take a foul to stop a sure fire bucket. Ty has had some turnover issues this year, but that is to be expected since this is the first time in his NBA career he has played for a new team.

2. Fantasma Negro

Ty for MCW and Jabari Parker

3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Fair. :grin:

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Middleton would be VERY nice.

But I dream...

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

What if we got MCW

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Maybe Ty wants to get outta here.

We get new players who we will never play because we will play Brewer and Terry ahead of them. Who cares anymore?

7. Borneoman

Borneoman Member

Lawson for Middleton or Antetokounmpo or Parker.

HAHAHA.

Not gonna happen :rolleyes:

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

40 games of bad play on a new team vs what he has done throughout his career?

if anything this season is THE anomaly not the norm

9. The_Yoyo

first off I would believe there are at least 4 "untouchables" on the Bucks:

Parker
    Giannis
    Monroe
    Middleton

and a possible 5th in Carter-Williams

So basically given the rest of their roster I could imagine the trade going like this:

Lawson
    Terry
    Cash

for

Vasquez
    Henson

The cash will be then use to buy out terry so he can go back to Dallas or whatever contending team he wants to.

Henson adds some actual depth up front and he has a "poison pill" type contract which is cap friendly (even if actual salary is not) - this could be insurance if Dwight has to be traded if the team feels the wont resign here in the off season. Vasquez provides another PG who can defend and shoot the 3 and is also expiring so doesnt really hurt off season flexibility

10. NeonTiger

NeonTiger Member

I'm good with Bayless and Plumlee

MCW will do too

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Great input as usual Malakas. I understand you wouldn't wanna trade the 2nds but there has to be some give. I would be perfectly fine with just the nop2nd if it meant landing Bayless. If you were to try and swap it with trashquez I'm absolutely asking for both and not sure I take the deal but possibly if Plumlee is thrown in.

None the less I appreciate your insight

12. malakas

malakas Member

Monroe isn't untouchable but the team will have to be way out of the playoffs by the trade deadline to make them think of trading him this season or in the summer. Right now it's obvious they think they can still make it (hence this awful Lawson trade).
    Henson after Kidd went to have his surgery has been geting a more great role and in OT or in the fourth when defence is needed he is the C and Monroe watches from the bench and right now Monroe usual sits very early in the first around the 6th minute or so.
    So Henson is not available imo.

But I don't get why people here want Henson. He is not a starting caliber Center and he is not a combo big only a C. He's incosistent and not reliable and it's not like his defence is phenomenal.
    Just to show you about the value of Henson :There were a lot of my fellow Bucks fans who thought his contract was a serious overpay and a disaster which I didnt' and I still don't agree with because 11 per will be the usual from now on. But it's not like he's underpaid either or he's some kind of hidden gem value.

I don't care about Bayless. It's that I think Kidd will put his foot down. I personally will be glad to get rid of him more than Mayo because I'm afraid that as long as we are stuck with Kidd we are stuck with Bayless as well.
    I don't want to throw out picks and will rather include Plumlee anyway.

Vasquez+ Bayless+ Plumlee I would trade for Lawson. If I wanted Lawson that is and thought he would fit which I am vehemently against.

Bayless has been far more productive on the court than Mayo this year but the important is that the Bucks and Rockets are very different right now in their progress. The Bucks priority is or should be to put the right vets around who help the youngsters to reach easier their potential. Bayless is good for the Rockets but not for the Bucks because he doesn't pass to Jabari and Giannis and he is a little chucker. Mayo is not. Even though he isn't shooting well this year his playmaking is valuable.
    And that's why I don't want Lawson at all. He's not a chucker but he will take both shots from the others and the ball out of Midds hands . Plus he can't be a starter because the starting lineup can't have three bad defenders he will have to come off the bench -> potential problem.

The only small bright side for me here is that cyber said : showcase. He didn't say they agreed on a trade. And it seems that it's the Lawson's side that want to get traded and the Milwaukee side that hasn't been convinced yet and wants to see more.
    I hope they are not convinced by what they saw.

1 person likes this.
  13. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I remember during last year's trade deadline there were a couple cryptic posts...not sure whether from Doc or Cod...I think Doc...alluding to a trade for Vasquez, so there seems to be a history of interest from Morey.

OJ and Vasquez honestly wouldn't be horrible. Neither are nearly as talented as Ty, but this year has shown that fit is just as, if not more important than talent. Especially once you have your superstar in place.

I'm still think we could get much more out of Ty. He's having a bad first half, but has been much better his entire career, not that different from what the Bucks are experiencing with OJ this season.

However, even though the return in talent isn't equal, it's pretty clear that this team has some severe chemistry issues, so maybe we do need to shake up the roster. Since OJ and Vasquez are both expiring, we will still be in position to make some moves in free agency.

I wouldn't hate this move, but I still think we're better off letting Ty find his groove. If nothing else, at least "showcase" him until the trade deadline so he actually has some value. He's been playing much better as of late.

14. The_Yoyo

thanks malakas! I dont watch the bucks too often so its good to have your insight.

I agree though that it seems we're losing Lawson for very little - though we gained him for very little I dont think he was ultimately the root cause for the problems this team has had so far this year

15. CCapps

CCapps Contributing Member

malakas, is there anyone in the league you would compare Mayo to? I've never paid much attention to him and I'd like to have a better understanding of his skill set. Thanks for your insight!

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Don't discount the possibility that Les Alexander could be asking for a pure salary dump here. Dealing Lawson for Mayo plus a small contract as filler would likely drop the Rockets back below the luxury tax threshold and save/make Les $7-10 million.

AND I WOULDN'T BLAME HIM!!!

He's got to be extraordinarily frustrated with this team's level of play this season. He's already eating $12 million in McHale's salary. Why should he have to be a taxpayer for THIS team?! (Remember, the Rockets don't really have the option to ADD much salary to improve the roster due to the hard cap, so it's hard to label Les a cheapskate for going in the opposite direction and cutting his losses this year.)

We'll see whether any trade materializes and whether the Rockets actually get anything of value in return. But this being a pure salary dump is a distinct possibility.

1 person likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't blame him for dropping salary this year, but Bima - I don't give him a pass on McHale either.

Les has been a cheap owner for years, using Yao's insurance money to buy draft picks at times (but never really going all in and over the lux line) - but cheap nonetheless.

And that is his prerogative - and this year, as you said, can't blame him for getting below the tax.

DD

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Eh.... I don't like it. I would rather we start Lawson for the rest of the season and see if he can integrate.

19. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

A younger version of the player Terry is now with better D

1 person likes this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

Vasquez said to the Venezuelan (spelling?) media outright that the Rockets and the Bucks were interested in him I think about a year ago. This came straight from the horse's mouth.
    I find it very interesting that Vasquez also just changed agents. Why? Perhaps he is interested too to get traded to another team one where he will fit better in and get more playing time since it's his contract year?
    Er I don't know. Maybe a little Terry as someone said. He's a sg who can playmake and likes to share the ball and he is a streaky shooter. His defence in the past was not good but now it's better up to average. He can make shots even with a defender's hand in his face and when he gets hot he can win games. He can make big shots.
    He has some mental issues. He sometimes gets angry with the refs. Last year he got ejected in Toronto when the team had only 8 players available due to injuries and some games ago this season he also got ejected because he cursed the ref. Two years ago due to his grandmas death who raised him he got fat and basically tanked his season completely. But then he started new and lost an incredible amount of weight in the summer and got back to being very productive and this season he was even starting as a pg for a while.
    But he's a good lockeroom guy he has taken young players under his wing and mentors them (Giannis, Vaughn) and has been very supportive. He was even the team captain (lol). Almost every game you will see him giving advice and cheering guys on in the timeouts.

The difference from his time with the Mavs is that he has accepted his role finally and he doesn't think he should be a star or be the main guy. And I guess he got a bit more mature. Hes' not like for example Morris who gets a tech every game or anything like that.

1 person likes this.