1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is your definition of gun control

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Falcons Talon, Dec 4, 2015.

?

What is your definition of gun control

1. Disarm all

15.7%
  2. Limit amount of weapons and ammo

38.0%
  3. Extensive Background check

62.0%
  4. It's fine as it is.

11.1%
  5. Remove all gun control. It's a right to bear arms.

13.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think the situation is LOL worthy. Rather sombering actually knowing there are idiots like you who think its acceptable.

2. fchowd0311

Now imagine how irresponsible the layman private citizen is. THAT is truly frightening.

3. fchowd0311

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Because cops are so much more responsible? Let me go back and read your thoughts in any of the police shootings. A million people in Texas have a CHL, shoot way less people than the cops.

5. fchowd0311

Yes, I have much higher standards with LEO to handle stressful situations than an untrained civilian. ****ing sue me.

Empirically, does the average CHL holder in Texas place themselves in high stress situations as much as an officer?

Keep on believing that the average CHL holding American can handle themselves in a high stress environment. Getting your CHL is a joke in most states. What? Fire off some rounds in an indoor range for four hours... boom, you are qualified to handle a firearm at your own discretion upon the American public. ****ing insane...

It's akin to how stupidly easy it is to receive a driver's license in the U.S. At least in most European countries, you have to pass the driver's test in a stick.

#405 fchowd0311, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Another dumbass gun nut argument.

7. fchowd0311

FOUR HOURS... It takes four hours of training to deem a private citizen competent enough to conceal a loaded firearm amongst the American public in Texas.

WTF

8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I wonder how it is that Canada's gun ownership is so similar to ours, and yet their incidence of adverse events related to guns is drastically less.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yep and it's not gun training like most people seem to think, it's education on the law. I've been to training classes with people who had CHL's that didn't know how to to clear a malfunction on their own gun. The guy who taught my CHL cass told me that in seven years of teaching the class, hundreds of people, the only person that didn't pass the course was someone who couldn't read English well enough to pass the written exam. The shooting test is so easy that a blind person could probably pass it. The class is essentially a rubber stamp. Fortunately, I don't think most people who have CHL's actually carry regularly.

10. Bandwagoner

And yet the results speak for themselves. Man these cops must be complete fools. We should never issue every single one of them guns.

11. fchowd0311

Or you could use that grey matter between your ears and realize that the average CHL holder will not be in as many high conflict situations as an LEO?

Is that too much to as on your part?

12. Bandwagoner

High conflict like a kid with a pellet gun? Yeah I really should think harder. These cops are our absolute best trained people. I wonder why they seem to lose all of these army rifles and handguns that end up in criminal hands? Weird.

13. fchowd0311

They are better trained than a CHL holder. Do you think an LEO is only required 4 hours of gun safety courses to carry their firearm?

There are definitely issues with the minimum requirement to authorize deadly force amongst LE departments across the nation. However, how does that translate to: 'The average citizen is better trained with the use of firearms than a LEO.'?

#413 fchowd0311, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  14. Bandwagoner

My experience with cops, and statistics, tell the opposite. Keep blaming racist cops though, I'm sure that will solve the problem. Keep giving them all guns they can't even be bothered to keep track of between donut naps.

15. fchowd0311

Well, your experience is ****.
    There is no comparable empirical data between a private citizen and LEO to determine who is more 'efficient' in firearm use. So I'm assuming those 'statistics' you are referring to are coming from your bung hole.

Raw output of deaths by CHL holders and deaths by LEO's is a **** metric and you know it. It's an LEO's career to place themselves in hostile situations.

16. Bandwagoner

Clearly. Just between 97 and 99:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...-weapons-program-cops-military_n_1585328.html

That's even before all of that sweet Iraq surplus started rolling in. After they did an audit and realized the police weren't keeping track of ****, and had lost a **** ton of it the last 15 years, hundreds of departments were suspended from the program. Now a guy in philadelphia is shot with a stolen police weapon. Fortunately they "disciplined" that cop tho

I'm sure the punishment was BRUTAL.

17. fchowd0311

Did I suggest anywhere that I'm for the militarization of LE?

We're talking about 9mm glocks here. Yes, an average LEO is more competent in using that sort of firearm than an average CHL holder.

18. Buck Turgidson

I agree. Step One: Ban all handguns.

You in?

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Canada's gun laws are stricter than the US. All firearms must be registered and owners licensed with background checks including mental health. There is also a national database of all firearms making it easier to track firearms used in crimes.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes this argument of citing Switzerland as an example of an armed utopia ignores so many basic issues that Switzerland apart from the US and many other places.

If simply having an armed society led to safety then Iraq would be one of the safest places on earth.