1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

close...im hearing it is austin myers the OT from manvel. 4 star commited to TCU. Imagine how pissed their fans would be if we take a 3rd player from the, LOL

1 person likes this.
  2. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Well I don't think he is consider NFL talent yet but he has the size. He needs a place to play the next 2 seasons. He's gotta think UH can provide the open spot at tackle for him and the coaching has done a great job with the 3 freshmen so they should be able to coach him up too. It could be a really good fit.

3. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

What happened with the 3 felony charges? I couldn't find anything. Did they get dismissed, plead to lesser?

He sounds like he got a wake up call from it all, whether he becomes a Coog or not hopefully he can be a productive member of society.

4. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Charges are still pending. He had a hearing two weeks ago to request permission from the court to travel out of state to meet with schools regarding his transfer (see link). He still needs to finish up classes this term in Michigan to graduate, so I don't think he'd be transferring till summer (i.e., he'll miss spring practices). And that's all up in the air anyway depending on his court case. Not sure when trial is set.

http://www.wcvb.com/sports/exmichigan-ol-gets-court-permission-for-transfer-visits/37131870

5. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Tom Herman addresses "combative interview" and talks with other schools.

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-coach-Tom-Herman-Talks-with-other-schools-6744031.php

I take what he says about building a program with a grain of salt, but as stated previously, you don't just say things like that and go off and become another program's head coach like nothing happened.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I believe in Tom Herman.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Oklahoma State offensive analyst &amp; former Texas co-OC Darrell Wyatt named WR coach/recruiting coordinator at Houston</p>&mdash; Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/685284264150044672">January 8, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">. <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachTomHerman">@CoachTomHerman</a> on hiring of Darrell Wyatt as wide receivers coach <a href="https://t.co/hZW18f19be">pic.twitter.com/hZW18f19be</a></p>&mdash; Joseph Duarte (@Joseph_Duarte) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/685284748625707009">January 8, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't see it. He knows the baggage that comes with the larger schools and he is seeing firsthand what can happen to coaches like Sumlin and Strong when you jump at the money and go for a deal like that. Both of those guys are about to get fired fairly soon and they'll have a lot of work to do when it comes to rehabbing their image.

Herman is building a program at UH that will be competitive for many years to come and he'll have a lot better time of it winning at UH than he would elsewhere.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Glad he admitted some wrong and apologized. That was big of him.

12. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

When I googled Austin Myers i got 19 year old sentence to death, I was like wtf are these dudes talking about. lol wrong Austin Myers

13. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Why do you just love to think that he will leave? Even after quotes from him and words that shows he will not leave once a "big" offer comes:rolleyes:

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

A coach can leave even when they are signed?

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Yep, college football is not sane.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I hope that's the case. But fans always tell themselves that right up until the coach leaves. I'm not saying that would happen necessarily, but no one should be shocked if it does.

Because again, coaches ALWAYS say that right up until they leave. Would you really expect any coach, regardless of whether they're looking for greener pastures or not, to act like they aren't committed to their current job? I've been around long enough to know that their words don't mean jack. You can always hope that they're telling the truth (and the might be, only to change their mind later), but it's hardly a guarantee.

Seriously, I hope he stays. The amount of money UH is willing to spend on a coach of his caliber should help. But you have to be a little cynical. With the exception of only a small handful of programs, any school can be a stepping stone if the right program comes calling. There's a lot to be said for loyalty but even Chris Petersen, who had as much success as you can have at a non-BCS school, eventually left Boise St. for Washington.

#3036 Cannonball, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

No ish, Sherlock.

Let UH fans enjoy the ride. Smh.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Dude, what is your damage?

I'm pretty encouraged by the fact that Herman turned down South Carolina before we even offered to raise his salary.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

why do you guys keep entertaining tmacfor35..?

20. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks DaChamp, gotta love traveling to Ole Miss with a GPS locked on his big ankle.

I imagine the charges well be reduced to misdemeanors that he'll plead to, pay his fines, do his community service and take his therapy/treatment while on probation. That might be the best he can do since there is video. Kids these days don't respect how easy that phone will bust them.