1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

i dont even think he's worth 2.5 mil

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

2.5 is more than fair value for Carter.

He's still relatively young.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

For a team like Milwaukee which doesn't have expectations, that's a great investment. He has averaged 35 HR/90 RBI per 600 PA over the last 4 seasons. He has done it in a wildly inconsistent way.

Because of that he's too dangerous for a contender to give AB's to, but for a team like Milwaukee he could turn into a good trade chip with little risk.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

no doubt. Basically he hasn't grown enough in 2 years in Houston, but he still has potential--so they're doing exactly what we did when we sucked heading into the season

5. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

He helps them toward their goal of all out sucking to start rebuilding. Growing up as a Brewer fan, I love it.

6. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

No risk with Carter. Still young, Brewers can give him the at bats he needs to hit homers and drive run, maybe walk a little.

We could not afford to have him playing 1b and the long dry spells he gives us. We are contending.

Brewers did good, and contract is fair.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

Crazy how Utpon/Cespedes/etc. are still unsigned. So many game changing players still on the market.

8. Jay713

Jay713 Member

You forgot to mention "strike out more than any player in the NL"

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Too many players became free agents at the same time as Dodgers and Yankees have good teams and appear content not to exceed luxury tax line by too much. Phillies are probably going to cut payroll as well. About 7 other teams (rough eyeball) have already spent more than last year with estimated arbitration and players on minimum factored in. New CBA next year probably makes some franchises reluctant to have too many years on deals.

Upton, Davis, and Cespedes probaby get paid, but there looks to be a few guys that will end up like Rasmus last year.

10. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Would anyone be opposed to offering Upton or Cespedes a 1 yr deal for 20-30 million?

It could allow us to move Rasmus or one of them to DH for day off.

11. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Not gonna happen

12. awc713

awc713 Member

I'm not the biggest Cespedes fan. He got really hot towards the end of last season, but I wouldn't expect him to repeat those numbers. I'm not opposed to adding Upton, thought I seriously doubt we do that.

An Upton-Gomez-Springer OF would be flithy, especially with Marisnick and Rasmus as backups/defensive replacements/DH.

13. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

I think in that Scenario Rasmus would play left and Upton DH

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Opposed to making a move that would push Gattis or Rasmus to PH duty only, when we could instead spend that money in a place that doesn't require that type of shift (solid player-->not playing).

(Trading Gattis for a guy on a 1 yr deal also doesn't make sense.)

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would be extremely hesitant to give Cespedes a huge deal. He was awesome last year, even before the trade he was having an excellent year.

But the previous 2 years he was just another low OBP, good pop guy that people here are constantly complaining about. He's also 30, not a young buck who may have figured it out. Somebody will sign him, and he may be able to repeat last year, but give our financial situation I wouldn't have wanted us to be that team, even if Rasmus had walked.

I would have felt better about Upton because his numbers have been consistent, but he too seems like a guy that's gonna be overpaid relative to his production. I think you can always find a solid corner OF who can maintain an OPS in the mid - high 700's without taking a huge financial gamble.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Honest question, what is it about that financial situation that would make such a signing unpalatable? Especially in the scenario described, which was a one year deal. There's no reason the Astros couldn't afford such a contract, and by definition a one year deal wouldn't tie their hands in future seasons.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The amount of complaining on Clutchfans should not be much of a factor. I don't think Cespedes will be getting paid to repeat last year as I think most GMs took it as a great year that may happen again, but not to count on it. That said, he's very risky considering age and how he gets his value.

On Upton, he's not the best left fielder, but he's above average. If Rasmus didn't sign QO and Astros had a little bit more payroll, Upton would be the guy I would want Astros to get among position players outside of Heyward this year. Davis and Cespedes are very risky long term...though would likely be very nice this year.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I was speaking more in general than responding to the one year deal.

If we had let Rasmus walk, I would have been thrilled to give either guy a one year make good contract. I love players in a contract year. But with the Rasmus deal in place, I imagine (whether we agree with it or not) that we don't have a lot more money to spend. That money would be better spent elsewhere than on a superfluous highly paid outfielder who probably won't hit much more than Gattis will.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think he was referring to the one year scenario which is not very likely, but on the more likely on the scenario of what it would actually take to sign him. Cespedes is likely signing for 5-7 years for around 20 million a year.

If Cespedes did sign a 1 year deal, it would likely be in the 50+ million dollar range as he is taking all the future risk.