1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jan 6, 2016.

?

What would you do?

1. Trade Dwight

20.5%
  2. Trade James

14.6%
  3. Keep both guys and try to acquire a great two-way player

43.7%
  4. Keep both guys and simply recycle the role players

21.2%
  1. Zergling

Zergling Member

Kyrie Irving also had zero playoff success but then helped get that team last year to the finals before getting hurt for good.

Well Davis' won't be taking his team to the playoffs this year. Does that mean his play downgraded?

Logical people know you shouldn't judge an individual's performance by his team's success. TEAMS make the playoffs not players.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh ive taken into consideration plenty of those factors but as the supposed "star" I'm looking at him all these years as the common factor and still wondering what has he done to change anything to help himself or others. he's still the same head case that can put up numbers from time to time. none of that will warrant me calling a player a star let alone a "legitimate star" until he can prove it can even start translating to some success.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Other options:
    -Get a new coach
    -Get a new GM

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

I never believed kyrie could be the best player on a championship playoff team and he proved that. he couldn't even make the playoffs in the east before lebron came. Kyrie isn't considered a legitimate star either.

You're bringing up Davis who again has already taken his team to the playoffs and not to mention very early into his career. They're also only 4 games out of the 8th spot with 49 games left.

And logical people understand that if you consistently year after year are just putting up numbers but not translating those into W's then the problem isn't likely those around you. You just aren't as good as advertised.

5. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Let Morey continue to draft well and retain flexibility. I think firing McHale was a mistake. The Spurs have been contending for a while, but they haven't always been successful. They've had first round exits many years, had the Memphis upset as the first or second seed, and were seeded lower some years back, but they never panicked. They drafted well, kept their system in place, and it's paid dividends. Firing McHale nine games in reeks of a franchise that isn't well-run, and it was a mistake, regardless of McHale's coaching quality. Threating trades, and firings is a sure-fire way to build resentment toward an organization among it's employees, and I think we have a team that's playing with no pride showing us that now.

6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I'd trade Harden. Especially to Anyone with the first pick. I don't even know if he's even worth that now.

7. basketballholic

Plenty of folks were saying the same things about Lebron before his Miami days. And plenty of folks still view his 2 rings as products of the Big 3.

The "until he does it" argument isn't forward thinking. James needs to continue to evolve his game. There's no doubt about that. And he could really help himself so much by becoming humble and developing the mindset that in the pursuit of greatness we are all role players. But when we view Harden through the scope of guys like Duncan, Kobe, Shaq, Wade, Lebron, Pau, etc. there should be no doubt that he (and Howard) are championship caliber.

This why I believe we've got to acquire a young star player of the ilk of Kawhi, Bosh, Lamar, Rodman, Grant, Horry, Worthy to augment them.

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

If Cousins comes to Houston in a years time we'll be wondering why he's shooting 8 3's a game.

9. basketballholic

Wouldn't take a year. If James has trouble doling out touches to Dwight I'd think DeMarcus would go bezerko here.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Lebron doesn't fall into what into what is being talked about here. the minute he stepped foot into the league he showed he could make a team better and translate his production into W's and improvement year after year. The same cannot be said about the players discussed in the previous posts.

11. basketballholic

So Lebron has improved every year and James hasn't improved every year?

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

James? he is not one of the players being discussed here. Well not in my conversation to be specific.

13. basketballholic

I'm sorry. My bad. I thought you were talking about our core. I see you're talking about DeMarcus. Agree with that.

DeMarcus strikes me as a big man version of Odom/Rodman. A supremely gifted player that's simply not mentally capable of carrying a franchise to wins because of his volatility, mental weakness, and lack of leadership skills. He needs a team with a dominant personality and leader like MJ/Kobe that he has to respect and a coach like Daly/Phil/Calipari that will love him but also crank down on him when necessary to get his attention. A guy like Thibs might do the trick if Thibs has the full support of the front office over him. But I don't know if Thibs has the soft side DeMarcus needs to match the unbreakable boundaries of discipline he's going to have to have to be successful. And we do not have such coach coaching us right now. And it's highly unlikely either one of our superstar personalities would have the right affect on him.

14. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

Step 1 : Bring Thibodeau and staff in as all new hires. Hire Sam Cassel as assistant.
    Step 2 : Shake up the squad now with a good trade, suns need a pg and lawson has expiring contract. Morris is having problems in phx, and could contrubute here and wants to be here. Houston gotta pay Tjones, or Dmo, i say dmo... K.j Mcdaniels will probably be 6th man in phx.

Why hasnt these 2 things happen yet... :confused:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jk4era7

It would be nice to trade howard, but houston wont get the maximum value for him in trade now.

15. Rox42012

Rox42012 Member

The Howard/Cousins trade only sounds right to Rockets homers. I'm sure they would laugh at a Howard/Cousins trade, and probably wouldn't trade WCS for Howard. Cousins isn't available and they might not do a Harden based deal

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

actually some of us would laugh at a Howard/Cousins trade particularly me because Cousins just isn't that good, especially as much as some of you may believe.

17. juanm34

juanm34 Member

We need a new system for this group of players.

18. Rox42012

Rox42012 Member

They wouldn't do Cousins for one dimensional, soft, ball dominant Harden

Cyclical

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

That's fine. they can keep Cousins the soft 3 pt shooting cry baby, who can't even win what more than a 1/4 of the games in a season.

If you're going to try and go that route you're going to lose. Lol at calling harden soft when he goes to the basket more than anyone in this league

20. Rox42012

Rox42012 Member

First, they might not take Howard's contract for free and might not give up Koufos for him

As far as Cousins shooting threes he should be praised. Maybe the most versatile big in the came with one of the sweetest strokes. He's playing in Karl's dribble drive which keeps the lane open. If you hit a third of your shots and pull the D out it helps, and he's learning, but that's Karls system

The Kings with Cousins have a better win % this year than Rockets