1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm pretty sure it was reported by Brian Shaw (or maybe he was Lopez's source) and he has now been fired from the station.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

I can think of a couple reasons why Herman would make that statement and come on the show. One is avoiding NCAA punishment.

3. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

John Lopez is just a fkin lame aggy homer.

And I'm not even a UH fan.

4. the shark

the shark Member

Who's parent is relevant to THIS specific story? Kyle Allen's. What did his mom say after reading Lopez's FALSE story KNOWING her son was at home with them in Phoenix, and NOT in Houston?

If it were my kid I'd see that this coach is straight up and would have my kids back.

Again Lopez and Wright are NOT advocates of UH. Never have been and NEVER will be!!

This made me respect Herman even more, because you know why they had a special season? Herman instilled in them that every single detail matters. NO MATTER HOW SMALL. Something Lopez (a so-called journalist) could give a rats ass about!!!

Go Coog's!!!

5. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

The whole thing stinks and makes everyone look bad but if I'm Tom Herman I would also be pissed. How does a local a local radio guy report a possible NCAA violation without picking up the phone and talking with Herman? Oh, that's right John Lopez graduate of Texas A&M.

It's entirely possible that John Lopez did this with malicious intent.

This is the thing that will always hold UH back. There are people in your own city looking to stab you in the back at every opportunity. Do other major programs have to deal with this?

#2925 Xenon, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  6. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I don't like what Lopez did, but it's par for the course for sports talk radio. There is also a lot of wrong information that circulates among the people who follow college football recruiting religiously. I think Herman would have easily won the day if he had kept his cool; taking it to these lengths was somewhat unprofessional. For the record, I like Herman a lot as a coach, and I don't really like Lopez.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't disagree with that. I just think the statement he put out was sufficient. Getting on the radio was unnecessary IMO.

8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Lopez is a moron. Herman can say what he wants, I would to. I'm glad he's full on boss mode with this program.

Nick Wright just shouldnt haven't been involved. He's a good guy tho. I've met a few times, I respect him & he knows a lot more than most ppl on that station. (Not Saying Much ..)

9. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

If u still think herman an idiot for what he did, **** yourself. if someone lies about me without any sources or proof u better believe im going to talk my **** to defend my reputation.

people tend to forget these clowns did the same thing to andre ware a few weeks ago.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

They did the same thing to Sumlin back in 09. Lopez said that Sumlin was negotiating with Arizona State. It wasn't true and it hurt UH and his recruiting efforts. Sumlin called into the show and blasted Lopez.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Dude. Chill.
    I haven't seen anyone call Herman an idiot on here. No one is blaming him for defending him and his program. I just think his statement was sufficient and didn't need to go to the radio to defend himself. Reminds me of the saying "Never wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

12. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Exactly. I doubt Lopez and 610 will lose any sleep over this. It's entertainment. Generating controversy and getting a rise out of people is part of the job. They'll probably have a good laugh about this whole Herman exchange with their colleagues and friends.

It's understandable that Herman was pissed and he absolutely should have defended his reputation. However, Herman needs to learn how to channel his fire, passion and balls in a more professional way...which includes knowing when (and how) to engage directly, knowing when to let the PR team handle it, and knowing when to let things drop. His media inexperience showed in that interview. Herman also should tell his wife to stay out of it. Lopez is just a clown jack**s...no need for Herman to give him a lot of attention or give a damn about him.

With that said...some of the barbs Herman said were pretty funny. Loved the "lunch" bit.

I suspect that the higher ups at UH may have quietly pulled Herman aside today and gave him "friendly advice" to cool his jets a bit in the future.

Today's radio incident tells me that it might be good for Herman to stay at UH for a couple more years to help improve on the PR and "CEO" aspects of being a head coach, before departing to a bigger and more prestigious school and football program where he'll be under more national scrutiny. It seems like he could benefit from a bit more maturity and seasoning.

13. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

You might be right about that, but Herman is definitely gone 2 years from now.

No reason for him to stay at a school like UH past that.

14. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Why no reason? UH is on the rise, possibly going to P5 any time soon. Recruits are coming in - first 5 star recruit in G5 ever - 1 reason he should stay? to become a legend of Houston, to be the next Bill Yeoman. Plenty of reasons to stay

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Herman came to enemy territory and gave them what they wanted.

Equivalent to what I hope Alex Smith does this Saturday.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I didnt like herman's analogy to people getting killed... but i think he has a right to be upset.

I'm pretty sure i heard Lopez admit he never called Herman for a comment. Isn't journalism 101 that you report both sides? Try to get the other side's comment? So if you consider that, along with them not really trying to be involved with the program this season, and of course the coach would be upset. It's lazy reporting.

And then nick said he's behind Lopez, whether he's right or wrong...that's cool "bro code" and all, but terrible professionally. Your inner circle may love it, but when **** breaks loose like this, you're only screwing yourself. Really stupid thing to say, just stay quiet.

And Coach also mentioned the recruit asked him about the report, so that's reason enough to be upset. He has to explain himself because of lazy reporting.

And are we sure it would've been a violation? It sounded like Herman waived off that possibility, but i probably misunderstood that part of the interview. :confused:

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

His contract is set up in a way where UH has to meet certain criteria every year or his buyout is less. It all really does seem like he's perfectly content with staying, as long as the university does their part. He believes he can make everything else happen, with the right tools. I seriously doubt UH is going to drop the ball on their deadlines and risk losing him over that.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I bet Texas offers him a fat contract offer next year.

And Herman will be very much gone.

And all these fans in here that are all about Mr. Herman will soon be bitter souls.

Writing is on the wall.

Texas needs a fiery personality to remove them from the abyss.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Kyle Allen says otherwise. I don't see him leaving him hanging.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Meeting someone is semantics. LOL