1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. rocketry

rocketry Member

CTH is a master marketer, fellas. Prospective recruits got to hear a fiery coach who isn't afraid to take on anyone.

But who really listens to sports radio? More importantly, he got alumni and casual fans fired up. My buddy just called me up letting me know he just reserved his season tickets. He didn't attend UH.

You can bet we just saw an uptick in season ticket deposits.

You hear that sweet melody? That's CTH playing that funky piano.

#HTownTakeover

2. Aware

Aware Member

lol herman's wife taking shots at nick now?

this made for an interesting morning

3. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

HAHAHAHA good luck with a comeback on that one Nick.

4. Victorious

Victorious Member

really? i think sports radio is still pretty big. maybe not as much with podcast and such but i don't think its dying or anywhere close

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Daaaaaamn, Michelle Herman with the finishing move outta nowhere!

6. rocketry

rocketry Member

:roll eyes:

You didn't do too well in English, did you? No where did I state . . . Not even going to waste my time on someone with poor reading comprehension.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

So will this have the same affect as when Josh (can't think of his last name) had Morey on a few years back? Tom Herman currently has a weekly show on the radio station. Does he keep doing this next year or will the other hosts on the station stick up for their fellow employees too?

8. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Herman's weekly radio show is on 950. He had a short weekly segment with the afternoon guys on 610 though I believe.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know.

I don't think it really matters because there is other radio stations and outlets.

What you are seeing is Herman grabbing even further control (which is why he may very well stay at UH long term). Herman is setting the narrative as to what will be said about his program and more importantly who gets to break the information.

I don't think that people realize how controlling Herman is and how smart he is. He already has complete control at UH, headed into a situation like Paterno at Penn State.

In fairness he isn't typically an ass about it, but he views it as his program, his football team, and it should be in a cocoon.

10. Victorious

Victorious Member

lol wtf why so damn uppity? you said "who still listens to sports radio?", which i assumed you were implying that nobody listens? so i replied with my comment.

calm down cool guy, you are not tom herman

11. rocketry

rocketry Member

Dude, you used quotation marks, which means you're quoting verbatim but you erroneously insert "still" in my statement? I said "But who really listens to sports radio?" NO "still" in that statement.

Fail.

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

Listened to the entire segment. Everyone involved was really pissed. There really was no need for Nick to even be involved in this conversation, and he was really annoying.

So, the whole deal is that Lopez claimed he had multiple sources saying Allen and Herman met face to face in Houston, and Herman says it was not face to face, but a phone conversation.

Lopez seems to think he did nothing wrong because he was just reporting what he was told. I think Lopez just needs to apologize and admit his sources were wrong. Lopez seems to still want to believe his sources.

I would also tell Herman, that in the future, when the media gets something completely wrong, to just issue a strongly worded press release with all the facts. Getting down in the gutter with the press isn't the best way to handle it in my opinion.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lopez is a local radio host, not a journalist. He's failed miserably at attempts to break stories numerous times. Almost as many times as his buddy Pancakes. Tom Herman is a hero and a legend and his wife is a goddess, apparently.

I'm buying UH season tickets now. Has the price really gone up that much? I guess they're probably $8.99 now for decent seats for the duration of the season? No way they've doubled in price in just a year.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I didn't know Lopez had a personal fluffer. Both of those assclowns need to be punched in the face.

1 person likes this.
  15. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

they will now since OU game comes with your season tickets, but not that much.

16. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

you can place the 50 dollar deposit on season tickets now and get first crack at picking ur seats before they go on sale to the general public

17. le081488

le081488 Member

People who say Herman is angry for no reason are idiots.

He agreed, speaking to Allen about UH, but that's not a violation, you report that, he probably doesn't care.

Lopez and Wright then say that's what they reported and even if they didn't meet IN HOUSTON, FACE TO FACE the grounds of the story are true. That's absurd, that's the part that would get UH and Herman in trouble with the NCAA, that's Herman's main point.

Idiots. Good for Coach Herman though, stand up for your morals/integrity and most importantly the program. NCAA investigation is bad publicity, even if we are found with no violations later on,

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

My thoughts exactly

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Eh...

I see both sides here. I'm certainly no John Lopez fan and I do root for UH, but I think Herm was kind of all over the place with his argument.

First he claims the story completely false or some other definitive statement to that effect. It wasn't completely false. The nature of the meeting may be wrong, but the major point of the story was actually true that UH was talking with Kyle Allen.

He then says on the radio broadcast that his only issue is that John said they met in person when they didn't but the argument kind of goes all over the place from there with Herman intimating that Lopez and Nick don't have enough ties to UH to be reporting on this, attacking Nick for "attacking" the reporters that do cover UH and apparently being mad that those guys got in trouble for not having information that Lopez reported. He spins that with saying they didn't have the information because it wasn't true, but Lopez is actually right here that the juicy story in the report was that Kyle Allen was talking to UH NOT the meeting in Houston part. Their bosses weren't upset because they didn't know he was in Houston, they were upset because Lopez scooped them on the interest between UH and Allen at all.

Herman seems really angry about this and it probably is because it would be an infraction if Lopez's story was 100% accurate, but Lopez was actually getting a scoop here. Clearly he had a source on this who told him that Allen was talking to UH. Now, maybe they lied about a face to face meeting, maybe they misheard/misunderstood where the conversation took place, maybe there really was a face to face meeting or maybe Lopez embellished that for some reason, but no matter what part is true, he did have the scoop. He even said in the interview "I'll take you at your word that you didn't meet face to face."

I'm not 100% convinced that there WASN'T a face to face meeting honestly.

20. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

If someone publicly implies that I am a cheat, you better believe im going to confront them to defend my reputation. Imma be in yo ****.

I find nothing wrong with what Herman did.