1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Texans Front Office This Offseason “Will Be Interesting”

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rawbrah, Nov 29, 2015.

1. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, RG3 just wants to have a job, and a chance to play, but Houston should have a better chance for him to be OK or good. As Texans, having RG3 is a low risk, high reward signing, I think he should be better than Leinart who was 4th round pick, do you agree or not?

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't catch the entire conversation, but Charlie Palilo just said it's BoB's decision if Smith keeps his job this summer.

Anybody else hear of this?

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

4. The Stig

The Stig Member

Is there a possibility of signing Lamar Miller this offseason? I don't know what our salary cap situation is like and I don't trust any of the RB's we are carrying.

Just wondering.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If he does. . .. then I hope he doesn't get GM duties added to his job

Rocket River

6. Mr. Clutch

That's the scary part

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Instead of taking chances on bad effort guys, perhaps we should try some questionable character characters.

8. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Didn't we do that 1 draft, and they all ended up getting cut?

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

What is it with people wanting to go after criminals. Being a bad person off the field doesn't make you a good on the field.

I swear some of you are like some stupid ass women that want the bad boys for no good reason other than looking tough.

10. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Not a horrible idea. But I would do it with a veteran. If an Incognito/ Hardy type player becomes available and they play a position of need I say go for it. I think the Texans locker room could absorb and assimilate 1 character.

Of course structure the contract in a team friendly manner.

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I'm a big Lamar Miller fan but I really hope we dont... I wouldn't ever sign a running back coming into FA. It's not hard to find one on the draft of they feel like the need one.

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Incognito I can understand but Hardy will never play here and I'm glad... That's the difference between us and Dallas. We actually have a team that you can be proud to support.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We're hearing <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> will move GM Rick Smith into upper mgmt role (Pres.?) and elevate Brian Gaine to GM. Timing unclear; may be post-draft</p>&mdash; Neil Stratton (@InsideTheLeague) <a href="https://twitter.com/InsideTheLeague/status/682261880367263744">December 30, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Long-time Texans general manager Rick Smith, who has had a great run solidifying the franchise and leading its personal department, is likely to have an expanded role in the organization in 2015, beyond football operations, with someone else taking over the GM title, according to numerous league sources. And a general manager change is possible in Buffalo and Tennessee as well, sources said.

Houston coach Bill O'Brien, who has already tripled last season's win total in his first season as an NFL head coach, is expected to have a significant say in who takes over the general manager position should this transition take place, with sources pointing to Eagles personal man Tom Gamble and Patriots college scouting director Jon Robinson (who worked with O'Brien in New England) as top external candidates who have ties to O'Brien. Patriots personnel man Nick Caserio would also be the top choice of O'Brien's, sources said, though if he were to leave that premier organization it likely wouldn't be unless they won another Super Bowl.

Also, Texans college scouting director Mike Maccagnan and director of pro personnel Brian Gaine are seen as top internal candidates should the Texans end up reshuffling from within.

Smith is thought of very highly by owner Bob McNair and has played in a key role in developing the organization, but a shift in roles would not be a surprise at this point with O'Brien primed to take on more responsibility. The Texans parted with several long-time scouts after O'Brien's arrival and began bringing in new faces, and that process could well continue.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24919505/front-office-shake-ups-texans-titans-and-bills-likely-to-make-changes

15. Mr. Clutch

That's a year old

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Yea, sorry. The article is old, but the tweet isn't

17. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . . with a playoff win . . . is the off season still interesting?

Rocket River

19. jxl92182

jxl92182 Member

I happen to have met Gaines before and spoken to him couple times and he is a very smart guy. He got that commanding presence as he is like 6'5" and speak very well.

I hope they make the change.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bill O'Brien said he anticipates Rick Smith remaining the general manager</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/686212021533069313">January 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>