1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our trade assets ranked by value sans H&H

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jan 3, 2016.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Toronto for lac 2017 first rounder.

2. basketballholic

Good lord man. If Terrence is worth a low first then DMo and Clint are each worth top 10 picks, KJ is worth a low first, Harrell is worth a first in the teens and Dekker is worth a low first. Let's be real here. That's not how the trade market works.

I'm going to bed. Keep convincing yourself without doing any homework that Terrence is worth a low first. I'll be so glad when he's gone. And I can only dream that you be right. Because reality tells me different. Peace out. Go Rox. And whatever coach we finally settle on. (Hint).

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Do you work for a living? Do you have a boss or bosses??? Have you ever been put on an assignment and done all this research and come up with a number that your boss questions as too high or too low??? Do you just dismiss their questions, because they haven't done ALL of the research you have??? Seems like that is what you're saying you do. Haha. I am not going to spend the 80 hours a week you do preparing my internet bball forum posts, but I can tell you from my 2 decades of following the game that a late second rounder is a weak ass haul for Terrence Jones.

4. basketballholic

1. weak-a__ haul for a weak-a__player.

2. I can tell you from my 4 decades of following this game and because I have done research on the 29 teams that a low second round pick is about all he's worth.

3. I offered to respond to you if you named a team. You won't name a team. I'm not dismissing the question. You are.

4. You're not my boss.

#64 basketballholic, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Some people on here will never change. They will not admit they were wrong on certain situations. Case in point: T. Jones will never play any meaningful minutes in the NBA. What happens, dude becomes a solid starter the following year. Then since he's a starter, said person comes up with this bogus statement about Jones will never be a PF on a championship level team.

Basically meaning they don't like being wrong so said person comes up with blanket statements to cover up for their flawed assessment in the beginning.

6. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

I don't know if any trade will significantly help this season. Its starting to dawn on me that our season is over. If we scramble into the playoffs we will either get the 6th to 8th seed meaning we will either play GSW, SAS or OKC..

We are not getting into the second round this year, guys..

Even last year, we were incredibly inconsistent in the playoffs (barring the first round against Dallas who happened to be more inconsistent than we were due to Rondo).

7. basketballholic

Agreed, with the current roster.

With that in mind, do we want to tank? I can't see that myself. But......I can see a major overhaul very easily. So why not consider the idea of dumping salary to give us a ton of cap space to work with this summer, while combining some of our best assets in a trade for a good-to-great two-way player on a rookie contact? That might get us to the 5th seed where we could at least have an entertaining playoff stores and maybe with a little luck pull it out to the second round.

My basic premise is we need a good-to-great two-way perimeter player either at the 3 or the 1 alongside Harden. Why not go after a guy like Smart or Oladipo or possibly somebody else I'm not even thinking about right now at the 3 that can be our Pippen next to Harden?

Worst case, if we're going down, turn some of these assets into a raw rookie like Hezonja and give him the rest of the season to learn on the job while clearing out salary and getting set for this summer?

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Ariza is a "win-now" piece. If he's moved in a trade for non-superstar type player, then we'll know it's rebuilding/reloading time.

9. basketballholic

Ariza, Capela, and our lottery pick that turns into unprotected 2018 pick is a very attractive package of assets. Their in another piece or two....could that net is Oladipo or similar?

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is kind of turning into a "Random Trade Thread 2.0 AKA BBHollic's Random Trade Thread", but that being said I don't know if I would trade Capela straight up for Oladipo. I personally think Capela is going to be one of the better more versatile bigs in the league 3 years from now. His physical abilities, and natural grasp at the game really project well for where the league is going. Tear down, or just re-tool, I see Capela as a major future building block.

Also I have no freaking idea why the Magic would want to trade him especially if he's that good.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Short of getting a bonafide 3 (LBJ, KD, PG, Kawhi) we are not getting into contention as long as Harden remains a complete no show on D and continues to hold on to the ball and play ISO style. We have surrounded him with 4 plus defenders for a reason and yet we remain trash on D. Part of it is the defensive schemes but a lot of it is just Harden losing his man almost all the time. Can't play 4 on 5 in this league.

This teams problems start and end with Harden. And Oladipo or Smart or whoever will not move the needle from 1st round busts to championship. Neither are these young guys going to tell Harden how to play. Not to mention your proposal has us giving away way too much for a Smart or Oladipo, neither of whom are 3's in this league

For this team ti come close to contention. 3 things have to happen mainly:

1. Harden has to play defense at all times and on offense not be a ball stopper
    2. A coach who will get Harden to play the right way
    3. A playing veteran who can get up in Harden's grill (least likely)

12. basketballholic

I think the best way to get Harden to play defense is to challenge him by acquiring a young, good-to-great two-way perimeter player that can make plays on both ends. Harden could then accept the challenge to be great on both ends or we can move him out and have our other young star take over the perimeter.

Add Winslow and Hezonja to Oladipo and Smart for the argument I am making here.

And for maximum impact to James I'd move out his buddies (Ariza/Bev) while simultaneously firing the entire coaching staff and bringing in a new outside coach that is specifically hired to fix this team on the fly. And I'd do it while I've got Les breathing down my neck so I could simply tell James I had no choice.

In the process of all that I'd use those trades to step down out of the luxury tax and use that tax savings to pay Coach Fix-It-All 2-3 million dollars for a half season of work.

#72 basketballholic, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  13. malakas

malakas Member

Smarr is not a three and neither oladipo nor smart nor wi slow can shoot. Hezonja is no two way because he cant defend.
    Moreover orlando has NO use whatsoever of ariza. They are looking to consolidate their assets for a good pf not to trade them away for more quarter pieces.
    Boston would be interested in Arisa ONLY if they managed tl trade for a star in his prime and to do that more than likely Smart will have to be included.
    Riley would never trade Winslow for Ariza esp since Winslow is much much cheaper.

So all of those ideas dont make any sense for the other teams.

I would trade Capella in two seconds for any of those guys because according to my opinion Capella doesnt have star potential. And bigs who cant stay on the court for long because of fouling or cant shoot at all are not so valued anymore.

As for what team would trade a first for Jones I already many many times ago have given multiple examples that the op conveniently overlooks.

14. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

What team? Please do tell.

15. malakas

malakas Member

Scroll up and read the first post of this page. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There isn't a good team in this league that probably couldn't use depth to their big rotation, and versatility.

-GSW really values versatile players at the 3/4/5 and could very well see him as an upgrade to what they thought Thompson would provide off the bench. Thompson has played a grand total of like 100 minutes this season. With Harrison Barnes being injured, and losing David Lee you'd be crazy to believe they wouldn't welcome a versatile big to their rotation.
    -Clevelands bigs, other than Kevin Love, have a disposition of being very big bigs with little versatility. I think he'd be a great fit to them off the bench when they want to speed up, and go smaller with either Thompson at the 5, or even smaller with Jones at the 5 & Lebron at the 4.
    -Dallas has to give minutes to Charlie Villanueva for crying out loud. Do you think they wouldn't love to have Jones?
    -Miami - How old is Haslem now? Do you think that Miami has a chance to add depth to their roster in free agency? What better way then to trade for a young RFA with a low cap hold.
    -The Wizards big lineup of Gortat/Nene has been unreliable, and they obviously want to speed up with John Wall being such a great transition PG. Do you think they believe in Dudley as their longterm PF solution?
    -Indiana - Jones would be a great addition to their big-less team. Great addition to continue to play small but add some size where George isn't playing the 4. Less Jordan Hill & Mahinmi is probably a good thing.
    -Pelicans - R. Anderson is likely gone this Summer/traded, and is almost always hurt. Their only real backup, or small ball (AD at the 5) 4 is Dante Cunningham. Jones would be a welcome addition, and would get significant PT.
    etc. etc.

Its not a given that these teams have first round draft picks (like Miami not having one till 2023) but they do still have abilities to trade picks, or pick swaps. For some of these teams trying to win (case that I made for the Rockets keeping Jones back this Summer when the Rockets were trying to win), you can do alot worse than Terrence Jones in your rotation for the needed role he gives you. Fans here just really gloss over the needs that teams have for versatile bigs who can play fast, have the ability to at least stretch out the defense some, and can make some plays.

Nobody is giving up a reverse protected lottery team lottery pick to get him, but teams will get creative to give what they can to get him if they feel they need, or could benefit from him which I believe, warts and all, he can really help THE RIGHT TEAM in THE RIGHT ROLE.

17. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

By saying you won't go through the 29 teams doesn't mean you have given examples of which team would trade a 1st for jones. Your assuming one will and one might we've seen Morey rob GMs nasty before, however it is a far stretch. You have more of a chance to get a late 1st for Capela. I'm a DMo fan, but I don't even think DMo gets traded for a late 1st. Not the way this season is going for our PFs

18. Solaris

Solaris Member

Trade DH for Bosh

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's part of the problem. Immediately upon entering the NBA, he's having back surgery.

20. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

Now this post I like. Great written. Those examples do show teams that can benefit from a player like Jones. I won't get into the flaws of the team's picking him up, that's another topic. My question was directed at Malakas, and you in a way also supported me here.

In bold can mean, these teams have to see Jones as the missing piece, and then getting creative can mean if it's as easy as Malakas sees that sending a 1st would be why haven't they done it. Jones is not a complete scrub as many haters think, but if a team wants I can see a package of expiring 30Yr vet + 1 or 2 2nd Rd picks.