1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

YAO MISUNDERSTANDING

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Sep 4, 2003.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

I think a lot of the "YAO needs rest" "YAO needs to stop playing for NT" talk comes from not understanding chinese culture. In America there is no tradition of international competition, either from geographical isolation, since USA pretty much dwarves all its neighbours and also because most of the popular team sports do not have international competition such as football, baseball.

In most european, asian and african countries, where sport and usually soccer is the dominant way of showing national pride in ones country, playing for one's country is the most important achievement in one's career. Let me say this again, in non-american team sporting circles, playing for one's country is the most important achievement in one's career.

If you read anything Yao says regarding this, it is clear that playing for CHINA is more important than playing for the Rockets. I think slowly this is also going to infect US basketball because already if the US did not lose int he world championships, we would not have the plethora of superstars asking to be on the olympic squad. So these superstars volunteered to give up there summers to play for america. I think you can easily imagine a situation where America was constantly finishing 2nd or 3rd behind yugoslavia and argentina in international competition, where playing for one's country takes much more importance than now, since america easily wins against any opponent.

So anyone that thinks Yao ming will someone how "rest" by not playing for the national team will be severely disappointed, in soccer it is de rigeur for players to miss club matches to attend international matches, country before club, even though it is the club that is paying the wages.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't mind him doing the tournaments but the stupid training practices and endless exhibitions are just plain dumb.

4. rocketsball2003

there is international comp for baseball.... although most are from north american nations(cuba, puerto rico, mexico...), there is strong comp in asia as well( korea, japan...)

the question is not national pride... its the mentality of overworking a guy, and a lot of people think that the chinese NT is overworking yao...

if our soccer NT hires a lot of european coaches i know it will help them out, i mean who knows more about soccer than the europeans. so why doesnt china hire more american coaches, it will help not only yao but all of the chinese players that want to take there game to a higher level.

5. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

heypartner,

I have total confidence that Yao fully understands how his name is on the back of his jersey. He went from having "Yao" to "Ming" on the back of his jersey at the beginning of the season. Yao is their number 1 draft pick and cornerstone of the future. Im sure he had his name put the way he wanted it without the organization shoving it down his throat.