1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite NBA fights.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JamesC, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Oh wow, I remember watching this on ESPN Classic. It was crazy cause Laimbeer got called for a personal foul!!!!!! All he did was get punched in the face a few times and the refs call a foul on him. The NBA fighting was crazy back then. Streetball toughness and the crowds loved it.

2. BERSERKER

BERSERKER Member

I don't remember KJ vs MJ. What happened?

Akeem, I think you might be referring to Greg Kite ca: 1990 (Kite was on Sacto). Kite fouled him hard and Akeem punched him and got ejected.

3. BERSERKER

BERSERKER Member

Shaq dunked on him, Dudley had a hold of his waist thru the whole play. Shaq took exception and shoved him to the floor. That's why Dud threw the ball and hit him from some 40 feet, yet he couldn't hit a free throw. There was also a fight between Kurt Thomas and Rodman in the same game.

4. BERSERKER

BERSERKER Member

Shaq punched Robertson. Other way around. They looked like they were just talking and laughing and he said something Shaq didn't like and Shaq gave him a stinger. You could tell Robertson was completely taken by surprise.

I think you're referring to Akeem and Kupchak (in the Sampson shot game).

5. BERSERKER

BERSERKER Member

Yep. Parish cleaned Laimbeer's plow. Closed fists. Got him about 4 times. Laimbeer fell on the floor and covered his face lying there in the fetal position.

6. BERSERKER

BERSERKER Member

Although it's a sore spot for Rockets fans, the cleanest punch I've ever seen in sports was Kermit vs Rudy T.

Earlier that same season (1977-78), Kareem punched rookie Kent Benson (in his first ever game). Kent gave Kareem a forearm shiv in the solar plexus and Kareem stood there huffing while the play unfolded. When Benson tried to run back up court, Kareem nailed him in the face and gave him a black eye. Kareem broke his hand and missed 20 games. He jsut got back in time to be involved in the Kermit/Tomjanovich affair.

Another funny as hell one was Sedale Threatt vs Danny Ainge. This was in '85, iirc when Sedale was with Philly. Ainge came towards him talkin smack after a foul or something and Sedale stuck his hand out and accidentally hit Ainge in the chin. Ainge staggered backwards like a zombie and plopped down. There was also the one where Tree Rollins actually bit Ainge.

There was a good one between the Lakers and Sonics in 1993. Rick Pierce ran over Threatt and stood over him staring down. Christie got in Pierce's face and Pierce started choking him with both hands. Peeler came from behind and yanked Pierce off with an LAPD chokehold and Kemp came behind Christie and did the same thing. That was a big mess, but Kemp didn't get ejected for some reason.

7. JamesC

JamesC Member

I dont know what happened. I saw it on that reel ESPN showed a few years ago. It was one of the better fights on the reel. They went after each other like mad men. They both had to be separated.

I also remember them showing Larry Bird and Dr.J goin at it too.

Also dont forget that scuffle Kenny Thomas had with Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

8. JiggajAMzZ

JiggajAMzZ Member

that doug christie/rick fox fight. classic.

9. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I'm kind of torn here. I'd either have to say that Derek Harper and Randy Brown fight in Chicago. I still remember the look on Stern's face. Or I'd have to say the Tmac and Bobby Jackson fight. That **** was intense. At the end a fan threw a beer at Jackson.

10. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Anyone remember the one where someone named Rudy T got knocked the ***** out...LITERALLY...????

or when...

Mad Max went up into the stands against the Blazers and punched a fan for talking about his daughter(who died at birth) named Amber(I think)

11. westbury44

westbury44 Member

holy crap did that really happen....someones got to give me the details, fo real

Hey RocketForever my friend told me he saw a lil icon just like that. except it parodied Kobe's sprite commercial and it shows Kobe when hes watchin the TV and rewinding it, except its him fighting Childs on the TV. So its like hes training for the fight.

If anybodys seen this please post it

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I got a kick out of the Karla/Byron Scott shoving match two years ago, but I guess that wasn't really a fight.

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Yeah, and I hated Danny boy even more after that.

14. DreamMachine34

I think it was during 92 or 93, Karl Malone pushes Sleepy Floyd to the ground. OT pushes Malone in retaliation. There was no fight, but in the next play, Malone tries to prove his muscle by pushing OT, but nothing happens. OT stands there like a rock, and I'll never forget that look Karl had. It was like, "O-kay, back to the weight room."

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You're right, on both points.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Calvin Murphy, former amateur boxer, was renowned in his day for being the NBA's fiercest fighter, he legendarily beat up some power forward for the Celtics once, whose name I forget, by grabbing him by the fro and pounding him repeatedly; they actually used to play the video before games in the summit but the Celts and the league made them stop.

Apparently after Rudy got punched, Calvin said that divine intervention caused him to be rooted to the floor and unable to move or else he literally would have beaten kermit washington to death.

17. bhanchod

bhanchod Member

knicks suns 1992 december at the GAHDEN
    everyone got fined except barkely

18. mrfrancis

mrfrancis Member

T- mac and Bobby Jackson. Mac was going up for a shot and was fouled. before he even hits the ground he hits bj with the ball. but what makes it funny, after beanin bj, he just throws his hands up as if to say so what. i like vangundy vs. zo's leg as well. any coach thats willing to wrestle with his team has to coach my squad.

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Wasn't there a huge fight between the Miami Heat and Atlanta Hawks several, long years ago? I remember that one vividly.

The Kermit vs. Rudy T. thing was not a fight. It was in fact a horrible incident. I think Rudy was coming to break up a fight and then got sucker-punched.

20. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

Yeah, Rudy tasted his own spinal fluid after that punch (which fractyred his skull and most of his face). Don't think I would call a blind punch that ruined one man's life and almost killed another, one of the "greatest fights" in NBA history.

Those guys are too big to be fighting. Can you imagine if Brad Miller hadn't seen that punch coming from Shaq? He would be eating from a straw and Shaw might be in jail.

Same thing with Chuck throwing the drunk ass through a window.

Could have ended much worse.