1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson on trading block

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Dec 18, 2015.

1. basketballholic

heyp,

you are perhaps the worst member here at misinterpreting posts and putting words in posts that aren't there.

I never said Lawson and Dwight's situations were tied together. I said they were the same type situation. Both players agents are going to be doing things to try to help their clients get paid. And they're both in the same situation in that they are both essentially expiring contracts and they are being marginalized in their current situation.

And the rest of the post was information about Relativity Sports, Fegan, and Walters, who were both with Relativity up until a couple months ago, when Walters left and Fegan became their president. It is not wild speculation to speculate that Relativity Sports is banging on Lawson trying to keep Lawson as a Relativity Sports client. That's a common occurrence. It would be wild speculation to speculate they weren't banging on Lawson.....since agents routinely bang on players that are not their clients, not to mention clients that were a part of their agency until an agent decided to leave.

:rolleyes:

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

malaskas and Batman Jones,

Let me try to translate, as I think there's a misunderstanding going on between the two of you.

malaskas, I think you are interpreting BJs comments as saying Lawson needs to drink to be loose. I somewhat did too, so maybe I'm projecting my initial interpretation into yours. But regardless, I don't think that's BJ's point.

Lawson could be at a crossroads with himself, whether he is still in continued sobreity since July or not, making him mentally off...not himself...not loose...thus "tight." If so, it likely stems from is off-court issues surrounding the DUI and drinking problems. He could have returned to drinking and still be distracted enough (mentally off) that it is throwing his professional life off. It is definitely true that alcoholics new to sobriety aren't themselves for awhile, as they really never were themselves before, but rather in an alcoholic version.

And BJ, I would also agree with malaskas that him not fitting well with the Rockets to the point of sucking like never before could arise from reasons separate from his off-court issues. He has never been in a situation before where he didn't dominate the ball and run the show -- from HS to NC to Denver. Maybe he's not coping well with that...plain and simple. The Diva complex.

I'm not disagreeing with either take, but I can accept both as valid reasons.

3. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Ty Lawson betta ask us, this is my dawg malaskus

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

You misread my posts. My take on this situation is just as I said it is and it is the same as basketballholic's.

I don't think this is about ancillary issues. I think it is about the change that every ex-drunk goes through when he or she quits. That's all.

5. Batman Jones

As for malakas, my only issue is him insisting that he knows for a fact that Ty's drinking. I'm sorry but that is just stupid.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

She***

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And I said I can accept that as the de facto reason, no? I thought I agreed with your take.

My comment that you might be misunderstanding malaskas was this comment of yours:

The Diva complex is one explanation. That's all.

You go from offering your take to discrediting other explanations. I don't see that necessary.

The Ty is still drinking comment of malaskas was part of me saying she's misunderstanding you. I said he could be sober or back to drinking and still be off due to his drinking issues as you stated.

I can accept both your take and a pure basketball take. A pure basketball take actually still fits in with your comments about functional alcoholics, no? Just because he's an alcoholic (or not) doesn't mean there might not be a purely basketball reason.

I'm not locked into one explanation.

The analogy to your profession would be if you (as a "functional alcoholic") had to change environments to be an assistant director in another group, and couldn't make the change from having ultimate control as you did before. Hopefully that's not a bad analogy. But you get my gist regarding Ty having to change his role on the Rockets.

#227 heypartner, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  8. Batman Jones

I hear you now, heypartner. That makes sense. And you're right that discrediting other theories isn't necessary. Or polite for that matter. Apologies for that. "God isn't finished with me yet." :)

What doesn't make sense is declaring that because he went to some clubs Ty is definitely drinking. malakas is way off on that.

And I think your analogy to my situation is off too. I spent 4 years driving around the country directing for other theaters where I wasn't in charge. I didn't like it much -- I prefer being in charge. But I don't think anything is really analogous to what happened when I stopped drinking except Ty's situation. I stopped going out drinking with my cast and so ALL of our chemistry is developed in the rehearsal room now. If I hadn't had such a strong bond with so many of our artists (esp. actors), having developed that bond over more than 20 years at rehearsal AND at the bar, I don't know that I'd be able to bond as necessary.

And I think that's part of what's up with Ty. I said back around the start of the season that I thought that if Ty was still out drinking with Harden they'd probably be playing a lot better together.

9. malakas

malakas Member

Yes exactly thank you hp.
    I am sorry I don't know for sure if he drinks or not. All I was trying to say was that exactly. I dont' take for granted that he has stopped drinking.
    And so I don't put his regression to not drinking alcohol as the only possible reason. There are other reasons players regress even so suddendly.
    Esp pointguards. They statistically have the most early age regression when they peak early.

If he has stopped drinking I fully support him in this very important life decision. I think he has a real problem with his relationship with alcohol (something I insisted on when he first got here,while others said it was just accidents that he got so many DUIs)

Lawson is out of the door of this team, but hopefully he will find a good path in his life that will bring him happiness wherever he ends up and after his carreer is over. Alcohol is not happiness. Hopefully he has taken the very important step in realising this and trying to put his life and his well being in order.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

To be honest, Lawson was really only a "backup plan."

I think it's obvious the Rockets were really hoping for Sergio Llull and when he pulled back, the Rockets had to re-group and find an alternative 2nd playmaker/scorer.

I still feel like the Rockets will target Llull again this offseason and his buyout is much cheaper. Rockets will have more money to offer and a good role.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I also agree with Batman in regards to Lawson being tight without alcohol. That makes the most sense.

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I can show you someone's snapchat from last night. Lawson and Jones drinking. Also one of those Harrison twins brother. NBA players go out multiple times a week. They may grab a few drinks. This happens on every team.

13. malakas

malakas Member

please do. This will stop the discussion once and for all.

14. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Add @ StickyPromo on SC. Just skim thru the videos. He took off the snap of Lawson and the bottle of champagne but you see them out n about. Funny thing. Klay Thompsons ex gf was in town. U see jones all behind her haha. Lawson's been on his snap the last 3 nights. He's a club owner, brings harden and most of the celebs in town.

1 person likes this.
  15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Honestly I really could care less if he still drinks occasionally. What I care about is if he has himself under control, still keeping himself physically there to play 82 games (can't play & practice hung over, etc.), and if he's stopped drinking and driving... which is a danger to society, and something I need to be better at myself.... check that....

WE ALL NEED TO BE BETTER ABOUT THAT... Uber folks.

If we start snap-chatting, gossiping, and judging Ty and whoever every time we see a drink in their hand than shame on us. We still don't have the right to judge. We have no idea the context and to the extremes of his behavior and how they put himself and others in danger.

Not trying to play the moral authority card here, but we have a sick "Gotcha" generation here that looks for sh#% to judge people about. Its bad.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Thanx...I saw them. Jones is stupid =_= Most of them esp the guy taking the sc and Jones seemed pretty drunk.
    Not actually showing Lawson drinking , didn't show the champagne, but if nothing else I can't fathom how anyone who is supposedly "tight" because of his not drinking in the first TWO months, goes out in clubs like this , surrounded by wasted people and the smell of alcohol.
    Maybe you missed the conversation in the last three pages that people were speculating and some assuming that his perfomance was based on him not drinking.

As long as he's not court order not to drink he doesn't do anything illegal. But it also doesnt' help with the credibillity of the argument that is all due to not drinking alcohol.

17. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Les must be furious with Morey.

18. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Lawson you make me so angry why can't you Lawson on them boys and then **** boys like old times

19. Batman Jones

Yeah, Nick Johnson was the future.

20. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Damn I remember people were hype about Nick Johnson

Is he still in the NBA?