1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opening Liquor Stores on Sunday?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Johndoe804, Dec 18, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In Colorado, liquor stores are 7 days, open until 11pm (if they want). But grocery stores and convenience stores cannot sell wine or beer greater than 3.2 beer.

In Texas, you can buy wine and beer at grocery stores and convenience stores until very late -- just not liquor. I actually don't see much of a problem, since it's fairly easy to stock up on liquor. And for football, no problem getting wine and beer.

The grocery stores might be the ones lobbying to keep the laws in place.

By comparison, in CO, liquor stores were closed on Sunday as recently as 7rs ago. Enough complaining about not being able to get beer refills on Sunday, that CO changed it, but kept grocery stores and convenience stores at 3.2.

#21 heypartner, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I have no problem with it. Free markets are overrated.

3. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

But I'd presume you have a problem with poverty. A policy limiting the hours of business limits demand, and that demand becomes somebody’s income. I'm not sqying blue law causes poverty, but in an incremental way this type of market restriction not only hurts consumers, but it hurts the folks out their who could use those hours on their paycheck.

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

If some of you are so afraid of being able to stock up enough to make it through a 36 hour period each weekend without bingeing out and running out of hard liquor, which you are terrified will bring on the DT's and a case of hard withdrawal, perhaps what you should be advocating is a law consigning people with these characteristics to a mandatory stay in a withdrawal clinic or hospital.

Just saying.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Alcohol is the most damaging drug in the world. It should be totally prohibited, and pot should be legal.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone has made that argument. The argument is more about freedom and dignity, both things which you nanny-staters either do not understand our despise.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yet again, another D&D post where I can't tell if it's serious or sarcastic. I'm all for pot being legal, but alcohol prohibition? Seriously?

Takes like this should be totally prohibited.

8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The liquor stores do not want this, yet you people are trying to impose it on them anyway. In fact it is you who is the nanny-stater.

These people enjoy a day off every week. Give it a rest.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You realize they would still have the choice to be closed on Sundays? :confused:

Here in GA, alcohol sales were banned on Sundays until a few years ago. There were some localaties where you could drink at restaurants (because drinking and driving is better than drinking at home I guess). Now that has changed. Most localaties you can buy liquor, beer, etc on Sundays after 12:30. It has been a wonderful change.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Wanting to repeal a law meant to change people's behavior makes me a nanny-stater? What? Do you know what words mean? Like, any words?

Apologies if you're just pretending to be this dumb and I'm just missing the obvious troll job.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Awful high and mighty for 7 am on a Saturday. No one is making you go to the liquor store. No one is making them be open. There's no laws restricting when fast food joints can and can't be open, yet Chik-Fil-A is closed on Sundays.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

For the most part that is correct. But COs laws have to do with a ban on chain liquor stores in the state. Grocery stores and such CAN sell all alcohol, but only at ONE location in the entire state. For instance the Boulder Whole Foods does sell alcohol or the Trader Joes, Target, and RiteAid on Colorado Blvd or King Soopers in Glendale

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

And nobody is stopping the liquor stores from lobbying for this change, which they are not doing, or forcing them to lobby to keep the restrictions as they are, which they are doing.

It is the liquor stores choice to push against this and not for it. Until they choose otherwise, which is not likely to happen, this change is not likely to happen.

14. Major

Major Member

Some (generally smaller) liquor stores want the freedom to be open or closed on Sundays. Other (generally larger) ones want to restrict it. "Liquor stores" are not a monolithic entity. Interesting that you would come out on the side of restriction.

15. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

If so, it is an epically slow jerk of the knee, I've held this opinion since the '80s. This article clearly says it is conservatives pushing for repeal or modifications of the laws...

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/article14422340.html

The above article also quotes a representative from the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States, I would call that a "significant lobby from the liquor store industry."

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Yes..should, by evidence of the social damage it causes.

Alcohol is a debilitating drug, it facilitates violence and stupidity, impairs judgement and physical skills and destroys vital organs. It's absolutely insane that it is condoned, no celebrated.

17. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

We, the People should be able to accept the liability.

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

if there is a will there is a way.

19. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I am fine with the hours for the most part. I wish you could buy beer all day Sunday though. And liquor stores should be open till at least 11pm on Friday and Saturday

20. dmoneybangbang

Silly Baptists.... They can't stop me from dancin'!!!!!