1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is NOT Daryl Morey's fault

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 16, 2015.

1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Well we have had more success with Moreyball than we have had with Rick the Ruler....

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You can't be the man in charge and pass the buck.

The McHale hiring led us to here. And the Bickerstaff promotion continues a culture of enabling.

So gonna disagree this is his fault, and he has to fix it.

DD

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

It's not your fault. ;)

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Can you list a few 2-way players?

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

LeBron
    Anthony Davis
    Chris Paul
    Klay Thompson
    John Wall
    Kyle Lowry
    Paul George
    Kawhi Leonard
    DeMarcus Cousins

For starters

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LMAO

Morey has his fair share of blame. it starts and ends with him

He is the one who believes he has solved basketball. he believes coaching does not matter so he hires and persists with a lackey in McHale for 4 years. And then goes on and keeps McHale's assistant who has learned all the bad habits under McFail

He institutes Moreyball without the shooters needed to play that system effectively. he hands out stupid contracts to once in a blue moon guys like Brewer

He makes busty pick after busty pick in the 1st round, latest being Dekker. He talks about high character team a nd goes and acquires Lawson which is fine but you need a coach to handle all these egos.

Honestly, Maury is vastly over-rated out here. He is not a top 7 GM, perhaps not even top 10

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't know who's fault it is that we are now a bad team. We won 56 games last year with the same players and coaches that started this year. What changed? I don't know. But, Morey is the guy that has to try to fix what's wrong.

I think the problem is more player related than coaching related. Morey is the guy that has the power to make changes. I don't know if trading a few minor players is going to change the course of this team. So, if big changes are needed, I say go for it.

8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Yes it is.

This is his system. He picked Mchale and JB. He's to blame just as much as the players and coaching staff. Once Houston gets rid of Morey they will be better off. His system is an absolute fail

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's partly his fault. Yes, he's done a very good job rebuilding this roster without the team tanking for high lottery picks. And he did put together a seemingly very talented team heading into this season.

But he cannot be absolved of all the blame. He(and Les) hired McHale 4 years ago. At the time, it was an acceptable move since the Rockets looked like they were going nowhere and no respectable big name coach was gonna take this job. But once that Lillard 3-pointer went in a year and half ago, they were at a crossroads and needed to think long and hard about whether McHale was the right guy to lead this team to a title. Instead they didn't even let 24 hours pass before announcing his 4th year option was being picked up.

And while McHale did a very good job with the team last season given the hand he was dealt with injuries, a lot of the same problems persisted such as taking weak opponents lightly, defensive lapses allowing other teams to get back in the game, careless turnovers, ISO offense with everyone standing around, and a failure to make adjustments during games. Yes, they made it to the WCF, but they were extremely fortunate to do so considering the Rockets no-showed in Game 4 vs Dallas and Games 1, 3 & 4 vs the Clippers(not to mention Game 3 vs the Warriors). So now this season when Harden and several other players were no longer playing well enough to cover up these problems, the team is in a freefall.

Morey is also responsible for blowing several first rounders(Morris, White, Dekker). He's implemented a 3-point shooting offense without stocking the team with reliable outside shooters. He's emphasized getting to the foul line while burdening the team with horrible free throw shooters. He's signed, drafted, and traded for players who suck as individual defenders(or flat out refuse to try on defense).

Bottom line, Morey shares some of the blame. And between now and next summer(assuming Les gives him that long), it will be the most pivotal period of his tenure as GM with this organization. He and Les need to decide what to do next(rebuild or retool) and how to go about doing that(free agency, trades, tanking). And now that McHale's already been fired, it's no longer the coach's fault if things don't go well. Now it's all on management.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ariza has been averaging 14 or 15 pts per game in Washington with Beal and Wall on board but he is only considered a 4th option here at best.

Not that he is an allstar but he could do more. I think we can get better two way players at the 4 and 1 position but also let Harden rest and go with Thornton(what the heck the season is almost at halftime and I do not care about stats padder Harden at this point no matter how great he seems to be on the surface)

get better ball movement, defensive rotations, ......just win some games or develop other players

11. steady

steady Member

This is not all Moreys fault but he definitely shares some of blame

1. Re-signing a coach who clearly had weaknesses and did not have great reoutation in the League (not on Byron Scott's level but not highly regarded either). No matter how much players "like" him, withiut respect most relationships -- especially coaching relationships - are going to founder

2. Not understanding the importance of coaching and reportedly wanted a coach who would be a pupoet. Coaching matters. See Steve Kerr. See Brad Stevens.

3. Not understanding the importance of character in building a good team. I remember when Rockets were going through rebuild Morey saying something like yeah character was important and if you were the Spurs you could prioritize it. But Rockets did not have that luxury now. They just had to get key pieces in place.

You have guys who are not like Olajuwon or Duncan to begin with, add in a players coach who lets them do whatever they want, things might work fine for a while when they are all playing well. Harden was more locked in last year after his World Cup summer etc. but now you throw in a weird off season for Harden, lot of celebrity coverage, a new PG who is supposed to fix a lot of problems, who iturms out to be disappointing, a couple of key players injured, some losses, leading to bad morale -- then you are suddenly in middle of tail spin

This roster and players are still so much better than they have been playing. But so e of the problem does go back to how roster and coaching staff were constructed - and that is in Morey

12. Victorious

Victorious Member

this is his coaching staff though. even brought in chris finch

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What's the difference between last year (when he apparently did a very good job) and this year?

1 person likes this.
  14. Victorious

Victorious Member

ok so name 10 GMs since we've had Morey who did a better job of putting together a contending team

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So what do you call only foreplay and the inability of not finishing? :grin:

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

judging by how long it's been since his last radio interview, he must think this mess is at least somewhat his fault....otherwise he'd have no problem facing the public

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ah maybe i stand corrected, apparently he just did an interview

18. ibm

ibm Member

good question. and a great myth. why the team w/ basically the same personnel can be so drastically different. a rarity that's mind-boggling.

if i have to guess, it's harden. but i am just speculating w/o any inside info...

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I won't enumerate my pet peeves or where I think the team might have gone wrong. It doesn't really matter. Morey might have done nothing wrong at all. But, he's the boss so the buck stops with him. Sometimes bosses get axed for random idiosyncratic misfortunes that befall their organizations. That comes with being the boss.

Not saying I want to see Morey fired. I was leaning that way the summer before Harden, but not now. Just saying that whether it is his 'fault' or not, he's the man who wears responsibility for the way this season is going.

20. ibm

ibm Member

sometimes it's pointless to figure out who are to blame. a far more important question is what to do from where we are.