1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any interest in Joe Johnson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BackNthDay, Dec 13, 2015.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

If only ClutchFans had a thread specifically set up for ideas like this one, a place where these "Random Trade Ideas" could be posted.

Get on that, moderators!

2. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

my bad, you're right

3. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Look at that contract.

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Ok, guys any interest in Corey Brewer?? Oh right he's on our team already... With his play this season I thought he was against us.

On a side note are a lot of threads around here real or all jokes??? Who would seriously think Joe Johnson would be a good pick up?? Come on OP, you're better than that :) his salary alone is terrible, let alone some of his play.... **** with this line of thinking let's get JR Smith too!!!

5. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Ty Lawson

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You do realize he has to play against other teams if he plays for us. He's averaging 11.4 ppg on a .368 shooting percentage. We gut the team for THAT? You're not smart.

Oh and he shoots .287 from the 3 point line. What a great deal at 25 mil! Do you even know how to look at stats? I'm guessing you are judging who he is based on his play against us only. That doesn't work.

7. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

6th man of the year.... on an MVP contract.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I was going to say the same thing. When he gets bought out, pounce.

Maybe make a trade for Bojan as thanks for the Nets waiving him

9. hakeemthagreat

Why wouldnt a team that relies on 3pt shots every nite
    not want a proven 3pt shooter? Doesn't seem like much of a theory imo:rolleyes:

10. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

He's shooting 28% this year. He's 34. Why would it suddenly go up? He's been trending downwards. I don't care about how he shot 3 years ago. This year he sucks.

11. basketballholic

The answer to that question may be:

1. Because it's hard to find an equitable trade given our hard cap restraint.

Johnson makes $24.89 million. You're looking at a deal something like Johnson, Markel Brown, and another low salaried player (probably Bargnani) for Lawson, Brewer, and Beverley.

There are other variations of the trade that can be put together. For instance, we can put Ariza in the deal and take out Bev. But it's very difficult to find a combination of outgoing players to go along with the Nets incoming players that makes sense for us.

or

2. Most likely there's a better deal to be made than Joe Johnson.

====================================================

I can envision one scenario where we would trade for Johnson. And that's if we are out of the playoff picture at the deadline and are packing it in for the season and moving out payroll while the Nets are going balls to the wall to make the playoffs. We might do a salary dump deal under those circumstances. But I seriously doubt those circumstances materialize this season. I suspect we're going to be fighting tooth and nail for one of those bottom 6-8 playoff seeds.

12. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

wtf is up with these dumb ass fans? take away the rockets game where even kobe went off against us, joe is 36fg% and 28 3pt%. why the **** would you want him here, with that contract and his age? wtf? 11pts on 11 shots

13. hakeemthagreat

Hmmm. I recall Josh Smith being called one of the worst 3pt shooters before coming here (only to save our season with clutch 3pt shooting:rolleyes:).

I honestly think some of you don't follow the game and just chase boxscore stats. Joe Johnson role in Brooklyn's offense is TOTALLY different on a team with James Harden doing 95% of the creating potentially providing WIDE open looks for him. Stop following boxscores study players actual skillset

14. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Harden for Joe Johnson? Who says no?

15. rockets13champs

U know he makes more than dwight right

16. rockets13champs

If he was bought out then he would be anther marcus thornton

17. hakeemthagreat

100% agree. Hes actually s a MORE proven 3pt shooter than Thornton and would be getting better looks than he's getting in Brooklyn. The Rockets should be the 1st team calling if JJ gets bought out. If Thornton can come here from Brooklyn and improve, I'm 100% sure Joe can make the same transition

There is nobody on the team I'd trust more than Joe Johnson taking a wide open 3

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Hell no... At least throw in Lawson ... Deal

19. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if this team trades for another wing, they need a combo 3d player, not just someone who can shoot 3s. jj's defense wont be that good at 34 years old and listed at 240, which is too heavy for an old wing for defense. and his shot is now suspect.

im hoping they look to trade jones and brewer for a 3d wing to backup ariza. thornton's role shouldnt change.

20. malakas

malakas Member

To be fair to Joe Johnson he plays too many minutes for someone his age, if he went as he will NEXT year to a team that he can come off the bench and play 20 minutes he will be much better. Players dont' forget how to shoot and it's not like he was seriously injured.
    Right now because of his contract everyone says he is awful, but when he gets paid a normal contract next season with less minutes and not to be a second option of a team everyone will want him.
    It will be interesting if he will go again for the money OR he will ring chase. Lebron really wants him in the Cavs. If he doesn't ring chase he can get a 8 per /2 years easilly.