1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey - this is your mess - get to work fixing it!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 11, 2015.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey is closer to Hinkie than to Kerr. Good thing Les stepped in and fired Mchale. Just like Silver stepping and putting a stop to Hinkie's bull****.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Hinkie..Kerr..Morey

One of those is not like the other.

3. a711

a711 Member

huh???

4. a711

a711 Member

Harden is playing largely the same way as last year. It's hand-waving BS to say that he was playing more 'team-oriented' last year.

5. noppeper

noppeper Member

The things is, action WAS done. It's just that you disagree with the action, because instead of giving the reins to an unproven young coach, you'd rather it be given to an established task master like Thibs. But really think about it, JB has been part of this system and the players know him, so making this move makes more logical sense than bringing somebody else with a completely alien system that might require a complete shift in the identity of the team. And this is (almost) the same team that has proven to be very successful for a longer period than just 1/4 of a season. So why completely change it up?

IMO, getting rid of McHale was almost a symbolic move by management to tell the players to get their ish together. If the problems are deeper than that, then having a full season as empirical proof is needed before you make any drastic changes.

Leadership requires more than one thing, and being reactionary based on emotion, and basically giving up the season by completely changing what has proven to work in the recent past, with essentially the same cast, IS an emotional reaction. The path Morley took is definitely the logical path, so right now we have to see how it goes and evaluate once the season is over.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I believe that trying the same thing that is failing over and over is not logical, it is stupid.

You are making assumptions that changing coaches would not work, it might, but imho, Bickerstaff is more of the same - and that won't work.

There is no ONE WAY to go, and you are correct, I can't stand that we hired McHale in the first place, and think ultimately Morey will need to hire a top notch coach - which may not agree with his analytics 3s philosophy to win or to win big.

Whatever though, I will cheer for them, but coaching, IMHO is not good enough on this team to make that much of a difference.

DD

7. ibm

ibm Member

"daryl, if we let kevin go, what's your idea of our nex thead coach? whom you think its gonna be?"

"sir, i think jb should do just fine. my confidence in moreyball and my belief in statistics are unshaken. so no need to get a coach from outside, les."

"ok, then. get it done. i will call kevin tonight. and you give jb a call, alright?"

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The "thing" did work.

We got to the WCF last year.

No "good" coach is going to disagree with the taking the best shot selections.

9. DaDakota

Getting to the WCF is not the goal - we were not competitive in that series at all, got lucky to get by a crappy Clippers team.

And we are NOT taking the best shot selection, having Harden massage the ball for 20 seconds and then jacking up a contested 3 is not good shot selection.

A good coach would have the team MOVING THEIR BODIES, and MOVING THE BALL to the benefit of the entire team.

This team has the talent, it lacks the direction to compete for what the talent should be competing for.....

Aim higher.

DD

10. larsv8

The Clippers were not a crappy team last year, they were excellent.

Yes we are taking the best shots. Harden contested threes are probably less than 5% of our total shots taken. We simply are not hitting good shots.

Since Harden has been here we have had the 6th, 4th, 12th, and now 13th rated offenses. You may not think it is pretty, but it is effective

The Rockets direction is fine.

Stop complaining.

11. DaDakota

If all you want is the 2nd round, then sure, we are fine......

Complaining is part of being a fan, heck half of your posts these days are you whining about other fans, which, ironically is complaining.

DD

12. DreamEarlNolan

I disagree that the Rockets weren't competitive in the Golden State series. The first two games could have went either way, and game two was literally lost at the buzzer on a turnover. If Harden scores on that last possession who knows how the series might have changed.

1 person likes this.
  13. larsv8

We were in the WCF 25 games ago. 25 DD, 25 games ago. Twenty five. Last season. The most recent post season ago. Less than 6 months. We lost to apparently one of the greatest of all time teams.

The coach got fired after ten games because it looked like we might not be on the same path. Ten. Ten games, they gave him.

You are ranting, I get it. Rant away. Rant to your hearts content. Be mad, be angry. Be upset. Be disappointed. I can accept ranting. I am not okay with you using your frustration to start making broad and inaccurate statements about what is right and wrong with this organizations, especially given your track record. And when you do that, I will be there to put facts against your absurd claims.

And yes, I do complain, a lot. Unlike our organization, our fans are downright pathetic. They haven't earned any credibility and they don't deserve patience. If you say something stupid, you deserve to be chastised for it.

1 person likes this.
  14. DaDakota

Well that is your opinion - there is nothing stupid about expecting excellence from your organization, and BTW - I said when we hired McHale that it could ultimately cost Morey his job, and here we are, it looks like Morey's job might be on the line because of ...well....that poor choice.

Morey is very good at winning trades, but he undervalues chemistry, and coaching (He has said as much), which are crucial to winning championships or building championship contenders.

And, the philosophy of avoiding the midrange game is not something i personally adhere too, particularly when your best player...HARDEN is great at the midrange game and not so great at the long ball.

Yes, this is a rant, and I believe it is accurate. You don't ...que cera cera.

Morey only fans....SHEESH!

;)

DD

15. dmoneybangbang

This. For whatever reason(s), coaching, chemistry, effort, injuries, laws of mathematics, or some combination of those things, it hasn't worked out so far this year.

Mathematically the law of averages seem to be swinging back into our favor after baffling team shooting slump. We still have to go through a trade deadline (to address the need for a legit secondary guard and maybe a better wing) and the West is baffling weak in the middle so there's a shot for us to go into the post season as a dark horse contender.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Are Les and Morey pathetic for firing McHale?

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

"Part of" it? For you, it's practically all of it. You complain and you overrate white and European role players well after they've been proven to be flops. Those two things add up to 100% of "being a fan" for you. That is why this thread is so annoying.

And the revisionist history is amazing. We underperformed according to you last year? The Clippers were bad? We overperformed in every way last year and to a man everyone here (excepting b-holic complaining about Jones) was thrilled with the offseason.

You have taken "what have you done for me lately" to a new level. Nobody, most especially including you, saw this year's problems coming. And no GM could have reacted more quickly or aggressively in addressing them. That makes this thread ridiculous on its face but probably the worst parts of the thread are your suggestions for how to turn it around.

Never has cf.net had a poster that believed so strongly he knew better than the GM. If only they'd listened to you maybe all those players that returned to Europe or went to languish on the bench of another team would be all-stars, right?

If you included one good suggestion in this thread it might have been worth something at least. Instead all you do is tell Morey to do his job as if he didn't know he was supposed to be doing that. Among your incredibly many armchair GM posts, all filled with solutions that rely on players that failed to make anything of themselves in the league, this is among the silliest.

1 person likes this.
  18. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Lol "crappy clippers team" that knocked off the spurs

19. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

lol morey god

20. DaDakota

That is why I created this thread, he made the team, he needs to fix it..

I am not saying I know more than Morey - where do you get that? This entire thread is me asking him to ADDRESS the issues so that he doesn't go down with the ship too.

I like Morey - a LOT - but I don't subscribe to everything he does...still think he is good for the Rockets though.

So much butt hurt and lack of reading comprehension.

And yes, I do complain, when the team I LOVE is underperforming because management failed to understand the value of good coaching and I have been saying that since the day they hired that clown McHale - that he could be Morey's downfall - which again, I don't want.

Carry on trying to make it personal - and I will continue to care about the Rockets and call for Morey to clean up his chemistry spill.

DD

#160 DaDakota, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015