1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeMarcus Cousins contract vs. James Harden contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Clutch, Dec 9, 2015.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Said it before. That's no longer an excuse. nobody forgets that sometimes because it really isn't true at this point in his career. He's at the point where results are what ultimately matters. There's no new learning experience that he needs to go through. He's had way more than enough of it by now. Questions of his effort especially defensively shouldn't continue to be brought up like they do. The team has been built around him with plenty of input from him since the beginning. So no I don't think the he still has alot of learn because hes still young excuse is valid

2. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Only in his 4th season as the guy...LOL.

3. photojoe

photojoe Member

Yes. Results are all that matter now for James Harden.

Last season, he led a Rockets team that struggled with multiple injuries to multiple key players to 56 wins. The third most wins in a season in Rockets history (behind 58 wins in 93-94 and 57 wins in 96-97). He was second place in MVP voting and had a legitimate argument of why he should have won it outright, as well as winning the first season of the player's choice MVP award. He led the Rockets to the Conference Finals, the farthest they have been in the playoffs since the 96-97 season.

Before the James Harden trade, the Rockets were looking at being led by Jeremy Lin, Kevin Martin, Chandler Parsons and Omer Asik. They were universally picked to end that season at the very bottom of the Western Conference. We traded for Harden right before that season started and instead went on to make the playoffs.

I get it. James Harden can be wildly inconsistent. Sometimes his 3-pointer and step back jumper are falling and his offensive game is beautifully unstoppable. Sometimes his defense is passable and he gets key steals and isn't caught ball-watching. Other times his shot isn't falling and he frustratingly flails around looking for fouls that aren't being called and he looks like he isn't even trying on defense. I understand how he can be such a frustrating player to root for.

I also understand how hungry the Rockets fan base is for a championship. Getting to the Western Conference Finals was nice...but I want more. The last time we won a championship was 20 years ago. I was in early elementary school and barely have any memories of it. As a Rockets fan, I desperately want more than a ~50 win season and making the middle of the pack of the playoffs. I desperately want even more than the successes of last season. I want to buy the corny championship t shirts and hats and sports illustrated magazines and DVD playoff runs that are dedicated to the Rockets championship. I desperately want to brag to my friends that are Spurs and Mavs fans. I want to finally hang a new championship banner up in Toyota Center. I want to know that there would be a championship run that I would never possibly forget. And I know that watching Harden play, it can be easy to wonder if he wants that as much as I and other Rockets fans do. And we can speculate all we want, but there isn't any way for us to know if he does or not.

I firmly believe that the Rockets organization is at a point where they will not trade James Harden unless they decide for certain that they won't be able to compete for a championship as currently constructed. I believe that any trade of Harden by the Rockets would be for young players and draft picks in an attempt to blow it all up and start the rebuilding process. But we don't need to do that. Harden last season showed that he is good enough and talented enough to lead a team through adversity. I don't know what happened this year, but I don't have reason to believe that he won't be able to turn it around and get back to that same place and even surpass how he was last season.

1 person likes this.
  4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Well his results have been pretty damn good.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I think DMC is a downgrade and I'm not giving up on Harden yet. JB needs to hold him more accountable or get a real coach. If real coach doesn't work, bench/trade Harden.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

same can be said for Cousins so what's the point

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Same can be said for cousins? False. What has he accomplished? Nothing much really

8. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Are we seriously discussing a harden for cousins trade? I know Harden has been frustrating at time, but the pastures are not greener on the other side. Cousins is a head case. If Harden pissed you off, Cousins will make you break your TV screen.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Here's what I think the Rockets should have done to Porzingas. He was also shut down on offense:

DeMarcus Cousins tosses Kristaps Porzingis right out of his way, throws down monster dunk
    By Jake Whitacre

Kristaps, you've had a really good rookie year, but you've gotta know your limits. For example, when DeMarcus Cousins has you on the low block, just run as far as you can the other direction. If he has the ball there, the only thing you will experience is destruction.

https://vine.co/v/iZe2peBBUUL/embed

#109 Mr. Clutch, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  10. photojoe

photojoe Member

Should have been an offensive foul.

No amount of vines would make me change my mind that trading Garden for Cousins would be a terrible, terrible idea.

11. photojoe

photojoe Member

Harden of course... Silly autocorrect

12. Mr. Clutch

Spinning past someone isn't an offensive foul

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

no but hooking them with your elbow is

14. Mr. Clutch

Hooking with your elbow? What's that?

Hooking is when you extend your arm

15. brunojb5

brunojb5 Member

The only difference between them is that Harden makes you win, which is pretty significant. Doesn't it?

Support your team and stop putting Harden on imaginary trade blocks.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That DeMarcus dunk on Porzingis was impressive. Definitely convinced we have to trade James Harden for him, now.

17. a711

a711 Member

all that needs to be said.

18. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

Lol. That was a travel and an offensive foul. Nice dunk though. Still no way in hell I'd trade harden for his ass though.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

must be extremely difficulty to make a move on a 20 year old kid. doesn't surprise me that your standards are that low and are pretty impressed easily.

20. Mr. Clutch

Yeah, the 20yr old who put up 24, 14 and 7 on the Rockets