1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Weekend work/side jobs for extra money & new skill learning if possible

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Dec 10, 2015.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I became a registered piano tuner a few years ago and made some extra cash doing that ($100/hour). But there's too much competition out there from people who do it full time and have all that time to market themselves - time that I just don't have. Plus, fewer and fewer people have pianos in their homes these days. And if they do, they don't play them. Damn shame.

I may pick it up again after I retire. And it's a decent backup plan in case I get laid off or something.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

2 hour window. Took me 30 minutes to drive to the warehouse, and 90 minutes to complete the 2 drop-offs and return home.

The usual rate is $18/hr + tips, but $18 is the minimum rate. It increases during busy times and Holidays.

Basically you sign up for it, they email you an invite to join their little webinar thing, you attend that and scan a QR code to download their app. Then you submit to a background check and if you are approved you can start doing deliveries.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

I guess the idea of strangers possibly messing up my car bothered me more.

It is a caution though for driving jobs. I only have a rav 4 that eats up gas. Im only considering amazon flex, not 100% yet.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

Def. Still open to hearing about more jobs other than driving too. Keep em coming fellas.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think Amazon Flex is a good source of residual income. The job couldn't be easier. It is 99% driving. Tips are included through the app like with Uber. You don't even have to see customers unless they specifically request they be home to receive their items.

The only thing that is a little strange is their scheduling system. They release open shifts at midnight every night, or you can schedule availability in advance. If you de-commit from a block once scheduled, it is likely to hurt your chances of being priority for scheduling.

I don't see how anyone could really do it full time though. I was doing the math on how that would work and you'd probably be putting 60k miles on your car in a year easily, and that doesn't include the miles you drive off the clock. So if you're making $20 an hour doing it, you factor in gas and vehicle depreciation and you're probably somewhere closer to $13/hr.

Note: You have to have an Android phone right now. iPhone app isn't through dev yet.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

not being able to start until 6 or on the weekends is limiting yourself to very few jobs. Our drivers make around 18/hr, some more some less. We have other positions available... But no way people could start that late in the evening for those.

Www.waitrapp.com

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

I wish i still had my 04 civic.:(

8. Rockets2K3

Rockets2K3 Member

I thought Amazon Flex would be a great side job since you have your own schedule, but in the end, it isn't worth it.

Going to the warehouse from my house is 25 miles. Then I have to do all the deliveries and then come back to the house from the warehouse. I would be pumping once every 3-4 days. On top of that, I have to pay for tolls. Oh, don't forget the wear and tear on the vehicle, plus paying for oil changes early, getting tires sooner than you think, etc.

When you factor all that, the $18/minimum is really $9-10/hr.

9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Where is the Amazon flex warehouse? How big are the packages you deliver?

10. Rockets2K3

Rockets2K3 Member

I live in Dallas (I know) and it's located in Irving. I live in North Dallas.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah close proximity to the pickup warehouse is a huge factor in deciding how profitable if will be for you in the long run. You should average at least 2 bucks an hour in tips, which would help cover the gas depending on your fuel economy.

I calculated I drove about 60 miles on my 2 hour trip, which with my fuel economy being about 30mpg means I spent around 4 bucks in gas. I did receive 4 dollars in tips. So it is possible that if you average in your tips, it could cover your gas, but even if that is the case you have to factor in tolls and vehicle depreciation coming directly out of the $18/hr rate.

12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Heard doing car detail pays well if you're willing to cover the upfront cost of materials. Think it's in the range of 60+/hr.

13. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Be a runner for Favor.

Do a search for gig apps and do the one you like best

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Was thinking about robbing convenience stores. Sounds easy enough.

17. body slam

body slam Member

Try a towing company changing tires and unlocking car doors

Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, HEB

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I just looked it up and the warehouse is located off of 290

There is also a pretty good discussion about the Houston gigs over at the Uber forum

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

PM me if you're interested in washing dishes.

There are also implicit costs of wear and tear on your car and risk of car accidents.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I heard selling heroin is a good side job; you learn to hustle and flow, set your own hours, and meet interesting people.