1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is TJones so bad?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by a711, Dec 4, 2015.

1. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

he's a backup forced to be a starter. last season dwight and dmo were injured and the same this year, cept we got capella so when dmo is back and dwight is still dealing with old geyser issues, jones can finally come off the bench.

2. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

its not that he is bad, we just hyped him too much and expected a lot from him, hence our disappointment....

3. calcium

calcium Member

Funny, but I get that impression too.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Jesus Christ, Clutchfans will move mountains to nitpick Jones to death.

5. omgTHEpotential

Jones has been shooting the three-ball very well this season.

6. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

He played good against the Mavs. Hopefully he keeps it up.

7. basketballholic

Once again, look who we were playing. Once again look at their big man rotation. Terrence was playing in the middle against Zaza and Dwight Powell for most of the night. He defended Dirk some but not very much and when he did defend against Dirk it was the same old story. Dirk ate him up.

Terrence Jones is an undersized center that has a handle. He's the same player he was in high school except his body is 6 years matured and he's playing against bigger, stronger players every night.

Last night Terrence got major burn playing center in mostly small-ball lineups going up against Zaza and Dwight Powell. And if you go back and look at the video he accumulated over 90% of his numbers in those lineups. And he should pick up some nice numbers playing 5 against Zaza and Powell.

Terrence is not a 4. He's an undersized 5.

8. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Leave this board right now.

9. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Anybody have the little skirmish between him and Felton last night?

I heard Bull talking about it, but didn't see it.

10. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Bold= box score fan.

The rest of the story is this, watch him play and see how he misses as many defensive coverages as Harden, and is extremely inconsistent on the boards/shots.

He's a great athlete, and he's got great talent. I really believe that, he's just not well put together. Cash out on him. He's not worth securing a large contract for.

11. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Another stats guy here.

First two seasons= MUCH SMALLER SAMPLE SIZE.
    First two seasons= How much PT with Dwight IN THE LANE WITH HIM?
    First two seasons= How much PT WIHOUT Dwight in the lane with him?

When you bring in stats, I want similar comparisions. I want similar sample size, similar personnel, similar opposing teams, and MOST OF ALL similar variables(meaning defensive matchup/strategy/rotation/injuries). None of these are, therefore, your statistics are really just viewed from an absolute value not as a trend. I'm tired of this ****. As someone with an applied math/econ degree, these "analytics" and "stats" stuff NBA fans spew is really disgusting.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I got one for you.

# of games with 30 points or more.

DMO = ?

Jones = ?

13. OpenLayup-Why3?

# of games with 50 points or more.

Howard = ?

Brewer = ?

1 person likes this.
  14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

[​IMG]

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

1.) No, he doesn't miss as many defensive coverage as Harden.
    2.) He was good on the boards yesterday. I recall one play he helped on defense then managed to get back and sky for the rebound at the apex. Worrell even acknowledged it. He was on the boards pretty well last night. So no, I don't agree that you could nitpick his rebounding last night.
    3.) As for shots, Jones has been more consistent shooter than over 75% of the team this season, so why would we single him out?

16. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

lol.

Only the Rockets defense would let Brewer score 50 against them. ;)

17. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

1) Yes, he does. You'll see he's every bit as bad.
    2) Yes, yesterday he was pretty good. I mentioned consistency, so again where's your argument here?
    3) That is not saying much

18. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

I'm perfectly aware of the limitations of those stats, or "stats", whatever you prefer. There is just no better alternative. If your requirements for acceptable statistics were met every time, there would be very little stats oriented NBA discussion, if any. "Too much noise, sample size is too small, etc. etc. "

However, when almost each and every one of the numbers closely connected to atletic ability (finishing, rebounding, blocks, dunks etc.) are down, there has to be some concern. And in my opinion, "the eye test" seems to support those numbers. He just doesn't look as explosive as before, can't finish in traffic, gets stuffed constantly, rebounds badly, doesn't block jump shots any more and often looks scared near the rim.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What does this have to do with Terrence Jones?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You really don't get it? Okay, I'll spell it out for you. The number of 50+ point games between Harden and Brewer doesn't say they are of similar value just as the number of 30+ point games doesn't show that Jones is of similar value to DMo.