1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[help] refrigerator frozen water line

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by itony, Dec 3, 2015.

1. itony

itony Member

help please!

guess it is a problem since it's gotten cold bc it just started happening. (moved in over the summer)

The water line somewhere inside the door is freezing which is preventing the water from being dispensed.

Does anyone have experience with this and have a solution better than turning off the fridge and letting the freezer defrost?
    Did that last time and it worked only to have it freeze a day or two later again:mad:

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hmm... This could be a couple of things, my best suggestion for troubleshooting something like this is to look for known issues with that model, I suggest using Google with the make and model number of your fridge, along with something along the lines of "waterline freezing". There's some really great forums out there and even specific schematics/instructions to fix something like that usually. I'm pretty technical, so experience level and expectations will vary from person to person, but I've been able to fix all kinds of things by finding service manuals/schematics online. My latest project is fixing an led tv (all it needs is a $1 diode), so good luck with your fridge!

If you can't find anything, or can post the make and model... I can definitely see if I can find anything. My personal expertise is fixing electronics/computers/cars etc but I have done fridge repairs too, so can definitely try to help.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

put everything in an ice chest and unplug it over night
    maybe it won't happen again

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Keep a hair dryer handy.

5. Buck Turgidson

Is your model equipped with a quick release water line?

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Let it defrost, then keep it on a lower/ warmer setting.

7. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

I had a similar problem earlier this year. My fridge had a clog in the pipeline so I poured vinegar down the tube in my freezer that empties out to the back. I tried warm water but vinegar worked faster to unclog the line. I had a pan to catch the vinegar on the floor where the end of the tube was.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Add anti freeze

9. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I had that happen on my GE fridge...I emptied the ice bin and that let the line thaw just enough to work.

10. itony

itony Member

Sorry for the late reply.
    Yea this is the third time it has done this. I'm thinking its freezing behind the door so I emptied the freezer and blasted the blowdryer for a while and waited like half an hour. The line started to run again.

Apparently this is a common problem with not many solutions for this brand and model. Stupid GE

I'm pretty sure I set it on the warmest option but not 100% so i'll try that. Another annoying thing is that the ice maker keeps making ice until it is packed to the top and I can barely even pul out the ice box. I'm hoping if I keep the level of ice to a lower amount that that may help...

GE GSH25JSTASS

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I 2nd this

12. itony

itony Member

If this were a rare occurrence I wouldn't mind but if this is something that is going to happen over and over, I'll get annoyed at the time it takes to empty the freezer and have things hazardly defrost and refreeze and lose the ice etc.

13. The Boz

The Boz Member

I think if you find a real crafty repairman he should be able to disassemble the door and insulate the water line to keep it from freezing. Kinda like you would do for your pipes in the attic. I know it's a pain to pay someone to do it, but if it is common on that model then you really don't have a choice.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

There it is... another valid reason for carrying concealed weapons. Frozen waters lines damn it.