1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden says he plays too much to maintain defensive focus

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Dec 2, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

what's wrong with that quote is it sounds like he's proactively conserving energy so that he can last 40 mpg.

The best way to conserve energy is to sit and rest. Star players' minutes should be dictating by when they are exhausted, and ask to come out, mixed with the Coach knowing when that usually occurs, so he builds a rotation around that.

Something tells me Harden isn't really all that exhausted when he comes out.

2. ApuN

ApuN Member

Harden has a sixth man mentality.

In a perfect world that would be his role on a championship team.

But the reality is that there are too many deluded almost psychotic clutchfans thinking that he can be superman every night and "lead" this team to the finals

While he is a problem defensively, their just too many crappy offensive players on this team to maintain any consistency

Along with Moreyball, its just too much to overcome, even with his matador defense.

This team needs another "go-to" guy

3. tdo

tdo Member

Maybe not, but he is clearly the best chance we have at getting a title in the immediate future. We know how hard it is to find a guy with his talents, and now everyone wants to trade him over a lousy 18 games? That is so ridiculous to me. We have a better chance hoping that he matures whether it is internally, or from an external force, than trading him and being forever mediocre again until we find another guy like Harden. Like it or not, this team is Harden's team. He is not going anywhere soon. It's not like no player has ever matured... even Hakeem had his issues before learning how to be a true leader. If this trend continues, then yes maybe we start looking to a future past James, but as of right now, we have to figure out a way to get him to exert more energy defensively, which absolutely requires him playing less minutes.

4. basketballholic

In 2005-06, at age 27, Kobe played 41 minutes a game for 80 games with a usage rate of 38.7%....and he made All-Defensive Team First Team.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

and this was early in the game his arse shouldn't be to tired to get a rebound. I've seen this from him too many time this year and it's making me not like the dude as much. He wants everyone else to pick it up on the defensive end so he can focus on the offense but his offense isn't even the same. Maybe we should sit him every other game like we do Howard. See if that makes him feel better about the minutes he is playing.

6. MistaK

MistaK Member

Look the way Harden (and the Rockets) came out to start the season - there is no excuse for that. But the effort has been there for some time now.

Now should Harden play better defense on a more consistent basis - Oh sure (so needs the rest of the team btw - because every single player on this team has regressed).

As for Harden's statement: It is understandable - the sad part is, that Harden has had to carry more of an offensive load this season than in years past. This is not what anyone expected after the roster-moves this offseason.

As for the argument you made - how about this?: If the role players could regularly hit shots at league average, we would be able to win games with Harden playing only 34-36 mpg.

This team seems seriously out of sync - it is not one person's fault; Every single player on this team has things to work and improve on and maybe more importantly, coaching needs to change too.

7. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Sorry but Harden ain't Kobe.

8. ibm

ibm Member

i dont disagree. actually i think what you think, which i saw in a couple of good posts of yours earlier today, in that it's not and cant be all on harden - whatever the problems are.

otoh, it all starts w/ the leader. this is proven true both in bball and life, no?

elite talent is rare. leaders w/ physical talents are much rarer. that's why i dont expect my team to win a title every so often, 'cause i know how hard it is. all i want as a fan is a good fight - at the minimum. is that too much to ask for?

there's no fight in harden. or maybe i am too blind and cant see it. but to me he's way too "cool".

(btw, his talent is elite and his fundamentals are very sound. but i never see him as a top notch talent in bball.)

9. heypartner

Two things need to happen:

Harden needs to play to exhaustion like Westbrook, and Coach needs to sit Harden for rest like Westbrook is getting (34.5 mpg).

Not only does playing to exhaustion usually elevate your effectiveness when on the court, but playing to exhaustion builds more stamina, so you can play more. All NBA players talk about it: You can't get in NBA game shape without actually playing NBA games.

10. tdo

tdo Member

Come on, that was all reputation that won that award. Their defense was way better when he was off the court.

As for no other "elite" players speaking about too many minutes, here ya go.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/25801090

The great Lebron himself discussed this very thing multiple times in 2010 when the Heat were struggling to find their identity. This is only being seen as an "excuse" because it is Harden that is saying it. If any other star says it, they are being an unselfish team leader that is sacrificing their own minutes for the good of the team.

11. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

#whatexcusenext?

12. malakas

malakas Member

You don't have to be Kobe.
    Harden is supposedly the top sg in the league. Why can't he even try to do what a lesser sg than him does Butler? Who STILL defends even when he plays the same minutes as Harden? And before anyone says anything, Butler IS the main guy in the Bulls. The one who carried his team last year to the playoffs.

Please. Are we comparing now Lebron's falling from elite defence to mediocre?
    Harden doesnt' even try. There is a wide margin between not even try at ALL and become an average defender from elite.

It's not like anyone is asking Harden to be elite. All they are asking him is to give a minimal effort.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol definitely false

14. ibm

ibm Member

a mcgrady, you mean? :p

harden has not yet quit this team, for sure. but seriously, i'm starting to see some striking similarities.

15. heypartner

true.

But the NBA is changing wrt mpg. No players are getting over 37 minutes now. Not this year and not last year. Butler being the one outlier last year. Most offensive stars are in the 34-36 mpg range now.

So, reason dictates, if the opposing team is resting their star, doesn't that give us a chance to rest Harden, too? And game clock minutes is much less than real rest time. Rest time is probably double the clock minutes.

16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Talk about lazy.

17. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

This guys is a freaking joke...

Mentally weak and doesn't give a crap about anyone but himself and his own personal achievement.

you want to know why we can't get a coach... because none of them one to put up with weak @$$ piece of crap... yeah go ahead and call me a harden hater...

This guys has no reason to be in the same breath as Curry, Kobe, Durant, LeBron, Westbrook, etc....

Here's a insert for you

The other knock on ____ was his poor reputation as a teammate -- allegedly he was not a team player, unwilling to sacrifice shots & touches for the greater good, and prone to a bad attitude when his scoring numbers were threatened.

So who does this sound like...

T_Man

18. malakas

malakas Member

I should prob check but I'm pretty sure that Wiggins also played more than 34 mpg last year. As the main offensive weapon of his team and a rookie on top of that.

But the answer to Harden excuse is simple I agree with you. Lower his minutes and DEMAND defence.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Rockets are -6 with Harden on the floor, defensively, on a /100 basis.

The Rockets are -17.8 with Harden off the floor, offensively, on a /100 basis.

Which is a more important area for Harden to expend energy?

20. heypartner

No one played over 37 mpg last year, except Butler.