1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you believe in Time travel?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ToyCen428, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So this means we can roll back environmental regulations? Pollution isn't hurting the ozone; it's those damn time travelers.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I don't know, but I do love bunny holes!

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

"If time travel is possible, then where are the tourists from the future?"
    Stephen Hawking

Great book by Michio Kaku called Physics of the Impossible discussed this a while back.

From the above pdf link go to page 216 in book for his chapter on time travel.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Here are a list of other things people once thought were impossible:

Flying
    Speaking to someone in another town without being there
    Putting a man in space
    Sailing around the world
    Breaking the speed of sound

http://goodguyswag.com/5-truths-to-achieve-the-impossible/

Rocket River

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

None of those things shattered our understanding of physics, and what we perceive to be the physical world. They all work within the confines of space and time as we know it.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I believe time bends.

7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

What happened to ToyCen?

8. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Aliens

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think "forward" time-traveling is very possible or fathomable over the next 200-400 years.

Forward equating the ability to go forward into the time by seconds, minutes, hours, days, or years.Definitely by breaking certain universal or inter-spatial barriers within the space-time continuum, but in a very quixotic. I think will be tough to go to a specific time period, though.

Problem, I don't think a person, group, or machine will be able to go back to its initial time period. I'm not sure how it would work for one to jump back into their "actual" time period. Unless, we create some type of time warp holes where we have an almost thorough knowledge of universal time. Then, translating it to our present Earthly made concept of time. That's almost unfathomable.

10. cebu

cebu Member

Michael J Fox just arrived from the past, he was on tv.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Now.
    Remember alot of people thought you would sail off the edge of the world
    before it was done

Rocket River

12. Nero

Nero Member

Any alteration of the past does not 'alter' the past events which have already occurred. The timeline simply branches from that point, existing simultaneously, an infinite number of times. However, the more times the branches occur, the weaker the fabric of time and space becomes, until eventually it shreds, losing cohesion, and causing all to fall instantly into oblivion. This cannot be allowed.

The solution is to 'cull' the 'orphan' branches from the primary trunk, like pruning a tree. Certain dimensional timelines would create catastrophic endings, having no actual future, and thus being eligible for culling. This is accomplished by special application of the time dilution process to both cause and prevent the 'dead branch' simultaneously, generating an infinite loop which exists completely separately from the Prime line.

Only denizens of the Prime line are eligible to request traveling into the past; denizens of secondary or residual lines are ineligible, and in fact are not aware of its existence at all. Once a special permit has been granted, usually at the cost of culling five orphan lines, or one 'live' line, the Owner of the permit carefully creates a new custom line in which to dwell from that point.

It is important to note: time travel is 'one way only'. It is impossible to cross lines, as it is also impossible to return to the Prime Line once a new line has been created. For that reason, it is rare for permits to be requested, and even more rare for them to be granted.

Denizens who undertake this task do so knowing they shall never return. The technology to move into the past exists only within the Prime line - it is an impossibility in tertiary lines.

Do not make such decisions lightly.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Unless you are a Slider
    Then you can enter alt time lines but only at the time in which you currently reside

Rocket River

14. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

forget about time travel ,anyone notice the feet on that woman ? Looks like this dude may have discovered Sasquatch

15. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Reminds me of Michael Chricton's book "Time Line". Really awesome book for anyone.

16. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

DMT is a hell of a drug mate.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

quantum entanglement "seems" to defy faster than light in our current model of physics. so never say never. also in our universe(maths), it appears that space and time are mathematically the same thing i.e. un-recognizably interchangeable. how much space between two objects or how much time between two objects. This will allow crazy almost unimaginable possibilities if/when we figure out how to manipulate either one of them.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

Does the events in Interstellar count as forward time travel? We stay young while everybody else and Murph dies?

One of my fav books. A very fun read.