1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've Grown to HATE Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SportsWorld, Nov 30, 2015.

1. SportsWorld

SportsWorld Member

This guy is beloved on our board but what has he done? Last year was his best year here and he couldn't keep it together.

I hate the fact that Morey is this know-it-all genius that is better than everyone else. Guess what? Everyone else is winning and Morey is the dumb one.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Come on, he is a good GM - these guys are not playing hard, period - for whatever reason - who knows, maybe they quit on Moreyball and not McHale?

But something is wrong and it is not Morey.

DD

3. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Morey's hands are not clean in all this. These are his players, his philosophy.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If you look at this team on paper its a good team.
    Maybe its his fault for enforcing a philosophy, but he got the talent on the team, nobody could have predicted they would suck this bad.

He got Lawson for nothing.
    He got Harden for nothing.
    He fielded a good enough team to draw Dwight here.

We went to the WCF because of the TALENT.
    He's a good GM.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, you have one of two choices.... change the GM/philosophy.... or change the players.

A Morey-rebuild is probably going to take another 4-7 years.... and still will require some incredible luck/good fortune to obtain the best possible players.

Or, you find a coach/philosophy that can get the best of what is left of these guys... ride it out for Harden's contract... and re-evaluate where you are there.

I prefer the latter... mainly because we've seen more examples of that working vs. the previous scenario (and TBH, I bet Les just decides to go another direction altogether... regardless of whether these current players have it in them or not).

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

"Offenses should shoot as many 3's as possible"

Solution.... acquire as many non-good 3PT shooters as possible

2 people like this.
  7. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Lawson ended up being a net negative. We didn't getting him for "nothing". Les is still paying him isn't he? What's he making 10 million? He also got mcHale fired so tack on another 12. We also KNEW we had a below average starting PF going in to the year and did nothing about it. We have stuck with Jones way too long.

8. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

9. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

I have grown to hate the I Have Grown to Hate ______ threads

2 people like this.
  10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Lawson ended up being a net negative.
    True.

Who could have predicted that? GMs aren't fortune tellers man.

I'm with you guys on the philosophy; not a fan of it, but Morey's ability to acquire talent from trades + draft is real.

11. Ns575

Ns575 Member

Same gm that got Harden for nothing.
    Same guy who drafted dmo in the late picks
    Same guy who got howard here
    Same guy who traded lawson for nothing
    Same guy who got a STEAL in patrick beverley

But he is the same guy who...
    Drafted mook over kawhi
    Cut robert covington
    Took jeremy lin over goran dragic/kyle lowry
    Same guy who implements moreyball on a poor 3pt shooting team.

Pick your poison; everyone makes mistakes. But he figures it out

12. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

Last breathe of a MOF.

13. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

If you love Daryl Morey you're a blind homer. He has been horrible at drafting talent and banked on other teams woes to collect 2 super stars (pretty much 1 super star and 1 role play now).

He implemented a stupid system and traded for players that didn't even fit it. He kept Kevin McHale around just because he was a puppet coach.

Daryl Morey doesn't care about efficient offense and efficient defense. He just wants to be an arrogant analytic geek and I wish no team this GM because it's clear as day: YOU WILL NEVER WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP WITH DARYL MOREY AS YOUR GM/PUPPET MASTER

1 person likes this.
  14. Badrose

Badrose Member

I've Grown to HATE I've Grown threads

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Morey brought back the team that made the WCF and got a point guard who was, at the time, thought to be a huge upgrade.

He has some noticeable flaws, but people who think Morey is the problem are crazy.

16. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

We have too many guys who have regressed as players during what should be their prime years.

Howard looked fine during last year's playoffs but the knee injuries and his recent back injury have probably robbed some more of his once legendary athleticism. He is just another athletic center nowadays - not the freak of nature he once was.

Jones has lost a ton of athleticism, probably because of injuries. His dunk rate was .181 during his first two years, no it's hovering around .100. His block-%, rebound-%, and finishing near the rim have all taken a dive.

Beverley has lost a step. He just isn't quick enough any more to really harrass quicker guards. He might do fine from time to time (or on guys like Calderon) but it looks unlikely he'll ever regain his form.

Brewer and Ariza can't hit the broadside of the barn any more and both are nearing the end of their physical prime as defenders.

D-Mo is injured and coming back from a back surgery. There's no guarantee he'll regain his form of last year ever again.

Lawson is a mess.

Some of the blame should be on Morey, but we really didn't have much options. We could have let Brewer and Bev walk but what would that have accomplished? We might have a better cap situation but we probably wouldn't be any better currently.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

18. Ubigman

Ubigman Member

I want to make one of these threads but all the popular players are taken

19. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

I have grown to like the I Have Grown to Hate ______ threads

20. J Hard

J Hard Member

You dont get it.

Too much to break down for you to understand but its over your head.