1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ford: Grades the Rockets' offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matador, Aug 28, 2003.

1. egn

egn Member

It's obvious that Chad Ford watched few to zero Rockets games last season. Someone ought to grab him by the tie and slap the **** out of him to wake his ass up.

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Of all the aspects of being a small forward--including defense (man and pressure), offensive and defensive rebounding, finishing, FT shooting, generating fouls, shooting within the arc, and shooting beyond the arc--Pike is better than Posey in exactly 1 area--the last one. To say they are anywhere near equivalent players when Posey has a wide edge in the majority of these other areas is not reasonable. The same can be said for Griffin to, except maybe he is a better man on man defender than Posey (Posey is much better at pretty much everything else you judge a player by).

I think Pike and Griffin are fine signings for the price, but neither in isolation or in combination get a SF good enough to start in the NBA or keep from the 3 spot suplanting the 4 spot as the major team weakness--and that is what Posey did for you. Further, the longer term contract made sense for Posey because he is only 26/27, considering Posey would finish his contract at 30 where you could still sign him for another productive contract if warrented, where Pike will finish his deal at 36, now which seems more like building toward the future even if the total costs are a little higher?

I just hope we can land S Jack for the other 2.4 mil. Now if we get S Jac to start with Pike/AG to back-up--they I would say we are in better position at the 3 spot than when we started this offseason (I would def take those 3 over Posey). But we have to find a servicable starting 3 somewhere first.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

ok, perhaps i should have specified. prove that that's all we offered to pay posey in negotiations. yes, officially the only thing we put on the table was the QO (which was required) and then we let the market set his price, meaning there would only be two official offers ever made. our QO and whichever other teams offer that we could match.

but what i meant was do you really think we A) slapped 2.445M on the table, said take it or leave it, and said don't call b/c we're not negotiating, or B) made the required QO and then had discussions in which we made real offers (maybe 4 yr/18M or 3 yr/14M just to throw something out there) which posey turned down to test the market. when memphis discussed with posey, they came to a 4.9M starting salary agreement per posey testing the market and we said it was too rich for our blood and declined to match.

i absolutely don't believe we did A and posey was simply displeased with whatever offers we were throwing out there. now of course those offers were just negotiations and aren't some official thing with papers that beat writers get ahold of and can publish.

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I agree with you 100%. 100%.

#44 RIET, Aug 29, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2003
  5. SaVeThEpIgS88

SaVeThEpIgS88 Member

Trust me.. the spurs got some good players over the summer... They have Tim Duncan which dominates everyone in the league... They have Parker which is a great point guard... They have Manu which by the way i think he is going to be a great player in this league.. BTW he was a steal in the draft, i think he was drafted like 57 or something like that... Hedo Turkoglu... My goodness they got a great player in Turkoglu.... Turkoglu showed signs like two seasons ago, that he was going to be a great player, many ppl believed he was going to be a superstar... But when the Kings got JJ they just completely stripped Turkoglu of his minutes... Rasho great center right there for you... He is some great talent they got in him and I know playing next to Tim will only make him better... Ron Mercer, well Ron a couple of seasons ago he was averaging 17 points a game... Robert Horry is still a decent player and although he is old and he seemed to lose the three point shot he is still going to hit those clutch threes... And Malik Rose is going to be the 6th man of the year.. He is going to get more playing time and he is going to dominate a lil more... No im not saying he is going to dominate everyone but he has a very big role on this team... Anthony Carter and Devin Brown are okay I guess... not much to say about them.... BUt trust me the spurs knew what they were doing, they tried to get Jason Kidd but it didnt work out... So San Antonio is still the top... and im guessing that next year is going to be an all international line up.. Dam the spurs are going to be killer...

PG: Tony Parker/Anthony Carter
    SG: Manu Ginobili/Bruce Bowen/Ron Mercer/Devin Brown
    SF: Hedo Turkoglu/Ron Mercer/Robert Horry
    PF: Tim Duncan/Malik Rose/Robert Horry
    C: Rasho Nesterovic/Tim Duncan/Kevin Willis

WOW the Spurs are ready.. they have so much firepower now...

6. riggs

riggs Member

Rudy was not the problem last season? Rudy was the problem the last 7 years. I feel bad for his health but, clearly his one dimensional, predictable offense was cleaerly a problem. Also his spineless coaching style made this team run like a ship without a rudder. Do you remember that when we had Akeem, Charles and Pippen mostn of the time they did not even include him in huddles.
    Wake up and smell the coffee!