1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if DM didn't implement his philosophy in coaching

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atwood, Nov 28, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Doesn't sound correct.

Rockets shoot the least amount of 2s in the game at 61.8% of all shots taken, obviously because we shoot the most 3s by % of all shots. Out of that 61.8%, we shoot 46.2% of our shots from within 10', leaving 15.8% of 2s that are beyond 10'. That leads the league as fewest by any team. That's the best data we have from NBA stats.

Do you have data for a more refined definition of mid-range at like 15-20'? I'm not sure what the excepted definition is, but NBA Stats provide tracking for inside 10' and beyond the arc.

#21 heypartner, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I feel like some people don't know when morey actually started working for the Rockets.

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I don't have a stat. It's 'truthiness.' I just feel like I'm seeing them shoot more from mid-range than they usually do. Maybe I'm wrong.

4. Hmm

Hmm Member

That's the problem... It's in the past...

Sure he initially hired Mchale because he perceived it to be the "best option" for non-competing team... but then he, along with Les approved a multi-year extension... claiming McHale + roster as assembled was a winning foundation...

Can't have our cake and eat it too...

5. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. This has all been covered on this board before.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Batman are you saying it's not true that Morey wanted more control over the coaching staff than Adelman was willing to concede? It seems like that is what was reported at the time.

7. heypartner

Hey Batman Jones, maybe you can tell us what you believed before, and we can read between the lines.

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

DM probably should ease restrictions on shot selection until some of our guys get hot . There is no reason thorton , jet , Ariza etc shouldn't aim to get a little closer and take open 15 footers . Some of this is the players being idiots and on the coaches . Some of it is probably an adherence to DM's philosophy

9. Batman Jones

I posted about it a lot at the time. I wanted to keep Rudy, JVG, and Adelman and I didn't approve of letting any of them go. I learned more about the Adelman situation and it made me believe that letting him go was the only option. Knowing the background changed my mind and the background is not consistent with the conventional wisdom. I'm sorry but I can't give hints to what I was told anymore than I can come out and say it. Either way I'd be violating a confidence.

Since I can't say why I believe what I do maybe I shouldn't post about it. I wasn't sure if I should or shouldn't. Probably I won't about such things in the future because I can't explain myself and it's probably just frustrating to be told that what you all might believe is wrong without me being able to say how or why. For any frustration that might have caused, apologies.

10. Batman Jones

I feel like I can kind of reply to this. I'm not saying one way or another about that. What I'm saying is that it wasn't the reason for not keeping him and that whether it's true or not I don't think it would have been a good idea to have him back.

1 person likes this.
  11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LMAO at Moaury being one of the best GMs. He is a good GM but far from one of the best

One of the best GM's doesn't hire a crpa coach in McHale and then persist with his clueless self for 4 years before finally realizing he is a garbage coach

One of the best GM's doesn't repeatedly fail in 1st round picks like Royce busty White or Royce and TJ over Draymond or highest ceiling Mook Morris over Kaawhi or his latest bust the scrub Dekker

12. heypartner

OK, so here's my guess. It was all about a feud with Les, who wanted Adelman to pay more attention to him and teach him about the offense over lunch dates

Adelman wanted more money on his contract extension
    Adelman refused to tutor Finch (who Les wanted to hire so Finch could give Les video lessons of Adelman's brilliance)
    Adelman wanted to make Patrick Patterson and Chuck Hayes untradeable without his OK
    Adelman wanted closed-door practices without Les
    and finally
    as a final token of submission by Les, Adelman wanted Drexler replaced by Calvin

13. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

"One of the best." So, like, top 5%? I'll be generous, top 10%.

So which of these teams do we knock out of the 10%?

- Spurs
    - Warriors
    - Hawks (yeah, yeah, inb4 "but, but, but they're in the East")

That Lebron James dude has also been a pretty good GM, lol.

Speaking of LBJ, I must have missed Pat Riley's obituary (inb4 "but, but, but they're in the East" and "look at the contract he gave Bosh").

As matter of fact, even with all the wheeling and dealing, how have we been any better off than the Grizzlies?

14. TheFreak

According to Clutch, Leslie was really pissed about Rick violating the Yao minute limit I think.

15. heypartner

No, no one is going to say "but they're in the East. They are going to ask, "Are you talking about Danny Ferry, who was let go in January? Or are you talking about the his replacement, which is a combination of Wes Wilcox as GM and Budenholzer as Pres of Bball Operation and Coach?" Either way, you're talking about a rookie GM/Pres, replacing Ferry.

16. heypartner

hmmm...that doesn't sound right.

The 24 minute limit was announced on Sept 10th, 2010. Yao played only 5 games that year, before developing another stress fracture again. He never played over 24 minutes.

Here's Feigen's article announcing the limit.

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...ted-to-24-minutes-in-each-Rockets-1703796.php

Maybe he blamed Adelman for Yao getting injure in the Lakers series and having to sit out an entire '09-10 year (only playing those last 5 games in 2010??)

#36 heypartner, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

i'm pretty sure morey's philosophy doesn't include not playing defense

18. TheFreak

You need to dig a little deeper into Clutch's insider posts to find that. You won't get it from a Feigen article. He said something about Leslie getting up and leaving a game in disgust when Yao wasn't pulled at the appropriate time I think.

19. heypartner

dude, the Feigen article is mainly just a press release explaining the 24-minute limit. It was before training camp.

He never played over 24 minutes in any of those five games, though. That would be ridiculous of Les, if he got pissed. Are we to believe he overplayed Yao in pre-season. That usually never happens. Doctor's orders are followed carefully in preseason.

20. TheFreak

Not going to argue. Clutch went on record about Leslie wanting Rick fired long before anyone suspected it and mentioned something about Leslie being pissed in public at a game. You can dig it up, or don't. I'm good either way.