1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hillary Running

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MadMax, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

That's a really interesting question. Have we ever had a one-state ticket? And would it hurt the ticket? Considering a Clinton-Clark ticket could count on the NE, most of the NW and California, probably not. And, in most ways, they balance each other perfectly.

2. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if the debate moderator will say her name like this . . .

Hillary . . . . Rodham . . . Clinton

I'm not sure if I like the idea of Hillary in a presidential debate. While she's smart, she's also tends to be visibly condescending, cold and arrogant (especially if she thinks the other person is stupid). My biggest fear is that the press would pay more attention to her facial tics than what she's actually saying.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

John you sure are sick a lot. Have you seen a doctor?

I have serious doubts about Hillary. While she would most defiantly fire up her base, I'm just not sure she would be the right choice.

4. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure if I like the idea of Hillary in a presidential debate. While she's smart, she's also tends to be visibly condescending, cold and arrogant (especially if she thinks the other person is stupid).

This (and what MadMax said) is essentially why I'm not a fan of hers. She doesn't come across as very inspiring, I don't think.

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Oh, I guess I see that... I have the same opinion when it comes to Dean (I just never really paid attn to Hillary before to have reached the same pov concerning her).

I think that my view that Dean is a jerkface is somewhat unfair; as unfair as you guys' attitude towards Hillary...

but you can't change first impressions I suppose.

6. Kimble14

Kimble14 Contributing Member

By Amendment 12 to the Constitution, a one-state ticket can't get any electoral votes from that state. "The electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves."

However, since Clinton presumably inhabits New York, my guess is that that wouldn't apply to a Clinton-Clark ticket. I could easily be wrong, though....

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

And I have a confession to make.

I kind of shot myself in the foot with Hillary.

When she voted for the war resolution, I emailed her office and said I would never vote for her again.

must...learn...to...control...emotions...

sigh

8. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Oh, please, let her run. I can raise $10,000 on my block alone -- for Bush -- since she will polarize the populace. All my moderate neighbors will bolt for the bank to get funds to the GOP.

All the wonderful White Water stories will resurface. The legend of the death (murder or suicide?) of the guy in the park because of the rumors he was going to do a tell all. Oh, all the truths, half truths and innuendoes will fracture the Democratic Party like never before.

Whew. Run the bimbo.

#28 thumbs, Aug 28, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  9. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

As we saw in the 2000 election, the residency thing is fairly easy to dodge. But I guarantee that Hillary would be a New York resident for these purposes, at least based on her current residency.

For that matter, I don't think Gen. Clark is an Arkansas resident any more, even though he grew up in Little Rock.

10. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Interesting stuff. At this point, the only Dem I'd vote for is Dean, but adding Hillary and Clark to the equation is interesting.

Really, all three would have a shot. Combine any two of those on one ticket, and you have the makings of a solid team.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Really, I can't see how you can be happy about this (if it is in fact true) if you are a Democrat. Everyone knows how conservative voters feel about even the word "Clinton".

If she does run and wins the nomination, we'll see the highest voter turnout in the history of the country IMO. Most moderate conservatives (like myself) will show up in droves just to vote against her.

12. thumbs

Uhhh, ima_drummer2K, trust me. I am not a Democrat.

Sen. Clinton showed her diminuative political stature after 9-11. She would galvanize the pro-life women. I could on and on. I salivate over all the ways to absolutely skewer her based on her record.

13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Yeah, I remember how bad that hurt the Democrats in 92 and 96. And don't forget how the rest of us feel about the word "Bush." There are more of us every day.

Salivate while you can, babies. Clark, Dean, Clinton and Kerry would all be strong for the Democrats. Especially now that the majority of the country wants Bush out.

14. ima_drummer2k

Oh I know, man. I would never insult you like that. :D

I wasn't talking about you, I was just quoting your phrase because it's so true.

15. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

I prefer her over anyone but Dean, Clark, Sharpton, Kucinich or Moseley-Braun. I'm sorry but while I do respect her and have admired her for a decade, she voted for and supported the war. That is not something that I easily forgive. As long as there is an anti war candidate on the primary ballot when Texas votes, they are getting my vote.
    As of today, that person is Dean.
    But when it comes to her versus Kerry, Graham, Gephardt, or Edwards it's all hers.
    By the way, I know Graham voted against the war, but I just don't like him.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I hope she runs so that the conservative tantric hate orgy that will ensue exposes them for what they are: wierdass hate prophets who are obsessed with two people from arkansas.

17. SamFisher

By the way, to all you hilary haters out there: Why are you so threatened by some middleaged cuckolded junior senator from New York with fat ankles?

Just wondering.

18. ima_drummer2k

A lot has happened since 92. Hell, even I voted for Clinton in 92 because he played the sax on Arsenio Hall. :rolleyes: 96 was a result of Dole more than Clinton. Don't forget what happened in 94. House and Senate.

As far as "the majority of the country" wanting Bush out, time will tell. See you in November 04.

19. SamFisher

how quickly we forget, the majority didn't want him in. There is such a thing as sentient life outside of Harris County.

20. thumbs

Batman, you're a good man, and I've always enjoyed your posts. On this one your view of Hillary Clinton through rose-colored glasses will be your party's undoing.

My neighborhood is a wonderful example of moderates, conservatives and "southern" liberals -- but there's not a one of them that can stomach the Clintons because of their unseemly conduct in the White House. Heck, they even looted the place on the way out.

You would propel Bush back into the White House with both hands if you could get Hillary the nomination. Hillary has so much baggage that she would drag down the entire party and fortify Republican numbers in the House and Senate. Also, Bush is not as unpopular as you think.

I know people who have met her. They say she is cold, unfeeling and insensitive -- unless the camera is on.