1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hillary Running

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MadMax, Aug 28, 2003.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Hillary Running?

I know nothing of the veracity of this...but it's on Drudgereport right now...just thought I'd share it:

INTRIGUE AROUND HILLARY '04 OPTIONS
    There is said to be some fire to the smoke this Labor Day weekend over a report that Hillary Clinton has set a date to discuss a run for the presidency... Hillary and her advisers, including her husband the ex-president, her money-men and pollsters, will meet shortly after Labor Day -- September 6,- to discuss whether or not she should go for it!

#1 MadMax, Aug 28, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2003
  2. Major

Major Member

Oh please no ... the only chance the Dems really have in '04 is to have a broad-based candidate that's hard to make into a divisive candidate. Hillary isn't that person.

I can see why she might be changing her mind though... if she really was counting on '08 when she could face a new Republican candidate, she may get stuck with a Democratic incumbent, which would kick her to '12.

Besides, it may be wrong, but a woman is just not going to get credibility with a lot of men with national defense being a major issue in '04.

3. johnheath

johnheath Member

I could not disagree more. I think Hillary is the Democrats best shot by far.

If she runs, the race will be close no matter what happens in Iraq.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Here's the original author, linked from Drudge. http://richardreeves.com/

It seems to me that the Dems have a good thing going with Dean. The Clintons wouldn't put their own personal interests ahead of their party, would they?

5. johnheath

johnheath Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, LMFAO..........

was that a serious question?

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Nope, not serious at all. ;)

I think we know what happened to Democratic control of Congress and the state governorships while Bill was in office. Not to mention all their "friends" who were taken out by scandals and/or fired as scapegoats.

7. MadMax

Hillary is a uniter. Please run her. Thanks.

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I actually posted that poll last night after reading a similar article referenced by glynch.

None of us knows how a Clark candidacy would take off... but intuition suggests that he would have a higher ceiling than Hillary.

Hillary, however, has the immediate advantage (if you're a DLC centrist) of destroying Dean's surge. I respect her; I'll vote for her... but I'd rather see what Clark can do.

ps, Max... it's funny that you mention 'uniter'. It's the only thing that I can say about Dean's candidacy: Bush the uniter.

9. MadMax

would you vote for her over Dean???

10. Achebe

Well, since I live in UT my vote doesn't matter....

but hypothetically if I were the sole primary voter that decided who would run in the general election against Bush, I would opt for Hillary, to be honest. I think that Dean would give Bush a better run, but so far Dean strikes me as an *******.

And I've never really understood the right's hatred of Hillary... so maybe if she was the top-dog candidate, the right could once and for all enumerate the reasons why they truly despise her (ie, she is a woman; she is a strong woman; oh yeah, she is a woman).

11. MadMax

MORE... 'I have learned from two staffers for current presidential candidates that they were approached by Hillary associates about discussing her possible 2004 bid for the White House,' CongressionalQuarterlyMSNBC's Craig Crawford said late Thursday...

achebe -- the right loves condoleeza rice...she's a woman...a strong woman..and, oh yeah, a woman. clearly there's more to it than that.

12. johnheath

johnheath Member

Is anybody surprised that even considering this proves that Hillary's pledge to New York State was a blatent lie?

Did anybody really believe that she was a true Yankees fan?

uugh, the people that believed her are shallow dolts. Hillary is so transparent....she makes me SICK (not Sam Fisher sick, but pretty damn sick).

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I'd vote for her in a heartbeat. She's smart, and that'd be a nice change of pace.

Optimal would be Powell vs Hillary. We win either way.

14. Achebe

But honestly, Max, what is it?

Rice doesn't have political ambitions... do you dislike Hillary because she does?

15. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Will wonders never cease, I agree with johnheath.

;)

16. MadMax

honestly, i didn't know rice had no further political ambitions...how about Elizabeth Dole...i don't think anyone on the right dislikes her.

i don't know..it's a combination of things for me personally...she's amazingly smug and we share different views...that's not a good combination! :) but she has a long record of things at which many people roll their eyes at...the new yorker stuff is so typical of how conservatives portray the clintons...that they'll say anything to attain more power...the whole "right wing conspiracy" thing during the clinton impeachment...nationalized health care, which many conservatives feel very strongly about...the list goes on and on. she doesn't exactly exude warmth..my dad never voted for bill clinton, but he likes the guy...he felt some level of sympathy for the guy during his rough times...hillary doesn't give you much to like, quite frankly. she's smart...smart like a computer...but that's not real compelling, quite frankly. she seems less than human.

17. MadMax

please stop calling yourself a moderate.

18. Timing

Timing Member

I used to really despise Hillary and her smug, uncompromising manner but I think being in the Senate has softened her up a little bit. And I think as a woman she neutralizes a lot of that Bush good ole fratboy Texas nonsense that got him over on Gore, particularly in the debates. I'll make the prediction that if Hillary gets the nomination she will beat Bush. She's the big name that can overshadow his disaster/war popularity which is sliding anyway. I dunno if I'd vote for her though.

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

First: The thread title is misleading. She's considering a run, not running. Like Clark. I think they'd both like to run and will if they think they can win, but they're not running yet.

Second: Wow. I f**king love it, man. If Clark and Clinton both get in, that makes four major, serious candidates that I could very enthusiastically support. Clark, Clinton, Dean and Kerry would each give Bush an extremely serious challenge. And I would love any of them as president. I don't remember a time when there were so many strong candidates in a primary race. And that's leaving out serious candidates like Gephardt, Edwards, Lieberman, Graham. There are EIGHT credible, serious candidates on the Dem side (again, four of whom I could get seriously excited about). How long ago was it that everyone was calling a second Bush term a sure thing?

Third: I'd also like to know what the beef with Hillary is. I love her. If she gets the nod, she'll be the first Clinton I've ever voted for.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Actually I have seen things that say that the Clintons and Clark are perhaps close. Clark is from ARknasas.

Hilliary-Clark, Dean-Clark, which is stronger.?