1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephan Curry is unguardable...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sugrlndkid, Oct 31, 2015.

1. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

He is one of the better shooters in the game, even better than Curry at some nights. The problem is he is so inconsistent, you can count his good games since the end of regular season last year, that's a far cry from "2nd best player" on a championship team. And to top it all, he regularly makes some dumpiest mistakes I've ever seen, just watch him when he turned the ball over, or didn't get the call after being stripped.

Keep in mind that we are not talking about an average player, but someone who was all-star last year, with a max contract, and billed as the 2nd best player on a dominating championship team.

In my mind, he was/is the most overrated player in NBA.

2. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

i miss me some Baron Davis. I'd love watching those teams, especially when the beat the #1 seed Dallas in the first round

3. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

If it was that easy then Yao would have been a bum in the NBA. You're analysis is comedy. Just stand in front of him and Yao vanishes; cool story bro.

4. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

This is why I love lurking on clutchfans... a thread about Steph Curry turns into a fascinating debate about Draymond Green guarding Yao Ming.

Yao always had problems with smaller quicker guys fronting him. Tbh, he'd probably have an easier time going against Dwight Howard than Green.

5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

At this point, Curry can pull up from half court and you'd expect it to go in. Plus he only has to play 30 min per game because the rest of his team is so damn good.

6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

To be fair the truth is somewhere in between. Yao, when fronted by a good, strong defender, was comically ineffective. But when a center tried to play him straight up, he would often was unguardable.

7. dream2franchise

Watching Curry off the ball is impressive. That whole GS lineup is constantly moving, looking to free up team mates.

Steph makes it his personal mission to throw off his defender and run him through a gauntlet to get space.

Even if a set isn't designed for him to score, he makes sure the defender feels like it is. Other scorers will take the play off if it isn't called for them, but Curry moving and cutting the way he does just increases the threat levels.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

... and to tire the defender. Chasing the guy through screen after screen is no fun, especially when he drains shot after shot after you have made maximum effort to get to him. It's very demoralizing. A weak minded defender would give up the fight.

9. verysimplejason

Well, we've seen them running 2, 3, even 4 screens just to free Curry. Ouch!

10. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

even illegal screens

Michael Jordan, LeBron, and James Harden dont need screens to beat their man and get an open look at a 3.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

His entire team is unselfish when it comes time to play ball. They set screens for each other. Ive never heard any of them complain that they lack enough touches. They trust each other, and know that if they give space for their two best shooters by setting high screens...they get rewarded with easy buckets.

I have to say that talking about Green vs Yao totally doesnt need to be in this thread and it is irrelevant.

12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Until James wins us a ring you can't even begin to put him in the same sentence as LBJ and MJ.

Curry may make history with his record-setting season if he keeps this up, and I don't see why he couldn't. James needs to take a step back and figure out what he can do to fix this dysfunction. He's the guy, it starts with him.

13. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Also, Curry hasn't need screens either to get open. I don't know if you've been watching them, but he can beat almost anyone in the league off the dribble. This is Stephen Curry's world, we are all just living in it. I've not seen a player look so unguardable since LBJ in his 3rd season with Miami or 95-96 MJ.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Curry would still be a beast without the illegal screens.

15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

You're reaching. Just give Curry his props.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hahhahaha

You know why this troll hates curry right?

17. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

carlos boozer also took yao's soul.

18. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Yao's feet took Yao's soul.

19. glindog

glindog Member

Yao's sole took Yao's soul.

2 people like this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd much rather guard Harden and Curry. To defend Harden, you don't really need to run. Just stand there, catch your breath, while he dribbles for 15 second before he makes a move.