1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Homeless around Toyota Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rivaldo2181, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Before this turns into some crazy debate, let me just say that I have made the suggestion that the Rockets involve their charitable arm - the Clutch City Foundation - in aiding either the relocation of the homeless there or, at the very least, the homeless shelters in downtown through a food and blanket drive.

I am a VERY strong believer in being a supporter of your community, particularly your neighborhood. The Rockets are now going to be living in the neighborhood with Star of Hope and other homeless shelters. This would be an opportunity for them to provide some much-needed support to a very worthy cause.

2. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

'Bothers' and 'Sisters'?

3. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Any man or woman who is hungry can be feed by any number of soup kitchens. Any man or woman who need shleter can go to a shelter. I'm tired of everyone worrying about the homeless. Undoubtedly they've had a rough time but they still have choices. I'm tired of giving away 40% of my paycheck and still having to hear about how we aren't doing enough for some people. I'm tired of being made to feel guilty for working my ass off and getting a good job. I had choices along the way and I made enough good ones to have a good life. I'm sorry if some poeple have it bad, but seeing as how they contribute NOTHING to this soceity, then I don't think they should have free reigh to eat, ****, and sleep in public areas taht our tax dollars are going to to be kept nice. THAT'S WHY WE PAY FOR SHELTERS!

4. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Why is are they Homeless? Isn't there any homes for sale?

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This isn't about taxes. This is about helping fellow human beings. Since the homeless shelters in downtown are funded through private charitable donations, NOT federal tax dollars, your tax argument is irrelevant anyway.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I really hope no one believes that the "40%" taken out of your paycheck is going to the homeless.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Where are they live if they cannot afford home? Is are they fomfotable?

8. rothdaniel

rothdaniel Member

People can be so self-centered. Most homeless people are mentally ill. If we can spend millions fixing up the park we should do something to help the people living there

Rudy G. in New York didn't get rid of the homeless he just chased them away from places where people can see them --- out of sight out of mind but not a solution

9. jkg123

jkg123 Member

The mental illness comes from drug and alcohol.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Not always true. There was a report recently that stated that as many as 40 percent of homeless populations contain people suffering from varying forms of post traumatic stress disorder and dillusional psychosis enduced by physical and/or mental trauma, not drug or alcohol use.

No question there are higher percentages of addicts among the homeless, but it is a misleading to define them as mentally ill because of drugs and alcohol.

11. jkg123

jkg123 Member

If your 40 percent is correct, that is still the minority of homeless people.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

That park has always had a large homeless population residing in it. The reason why someone would rather live in a park than a shelter is because shelters are extreemly dangerous. Theft, sexual assault, and other crimes are rampant. Houstons climate (8 months of the year) is very livable. Given the two choices, I'd live in the park.

I think that someone involved with the charitable arm of the Houston Rockets will see the wisdom in making sure that the people living in their own back yard are taken care of. It could be a PR wet dream, or a PR nightmare depending on how they handel it.

Weather you are conservative or liberal, helping your fellow man is the right thing to do. It pains me to understand how people can think otherwise.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You buy a Rockets ticket....you're taxed.
    You buy a beer...you're taxed.
    Get a souvenir...you're taxed.
    Go to the parking lot...you're taxed.
    Drive past the homeless shelters near the stadium...you're not taxed.

Tax...Tax...Tax...Tax...not Tax.

People are tired of it.

While you're complaining Rocketsauce...you mind parting with some more of your money for the Tip Jar. Or does that remind you too much of your taxes, too.

14. jkg123

jkg123 Member

I think Rocketsauce may have been making a general statement regarding having 40% of taxes taking out. The problem is how our current taxes are spent. I would much rather my money go towards a homeless shelter than some grant to a research firm wanting to know about the sexual habits of the woodchuck.

15. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

LOL! True... True....

16. heypartner

Didn't Halliburton get that grant?

17. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Does anyone know what %age of homeless persons are veterans? I read the stat a long time ago and it seemed ridiculously high...

18. jkg123

jkg123 Member

You obviously voted for Gore.

19. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

No we had to give it back b/c of a conflict of interest. Go figure.

20. heypartner

this says ("conservatively speaking") one out of four homeless males as "put on a uniform."

Most Often Asked Questions Concerning Homeless Veterans

Who are homeless veterans?

The U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) says homeless veterans are mostly males (2 % are females). The vast majority are single, most come from poor, disadvantaged communities, 45% suffer from mental illness, and half have substance abuse problems. America’s homeless veterans have served in World War II, Korean War, Cold War, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, Lebanon, or the military’s anti-drug cultivation efforts in South America. Forty-seven percent of homeless veterans served during the Vietnam Era. More than 67% served our country for at least three years and 33% were stationed in a war zone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.