1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Steve's crossover takes Iverson out of the game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cato13, Feb 8, 2001.

1. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

Did you all check that crossover that Steve had on Iverson? It was early in the game and Steve crossed him over so bad Iverson strained his side or pulled a muscle. I couldn't tell. Anyway he had to leave the game for about 5 minutes after that. Bill Worrell said he had heard of crossover breaking ankles but never ribs.

Then when the game was tied at 15-15, Steve had George Lynch on the left wing and he had Mo in the post but he waved him off. Steve then proceded to dribble, dribble, crossover then crossover then a step back jumper...swish in his face. (I saw him do the same thing against Kobe in the last Laker game) I woke up my infant son because I yelled so damn loud after that.

That kind of s*** just makes me know that this KID is something special. Just think, we get to watch him and Cuttino grow right before our eyes.

I might be a little biased but I think Stevie has the best handles in the NBA right now. Did you see how he was clowning at the end of the game? I thought it was the Harlem Globetrotters.

This was great because everyone had a great game, even JACK(per Alum). A good game for a BAD team.(Per Jeff)

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

[This message has been edited by cato13 (edited February 07, 2001).]

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

The crowd sure loved it at the end. You could see them all jumping up yelling at them. They really liked it. I think its great to have a team like the rockets , they entertain you everynight and we get to see them all the time. Other cities I bet love it when Houston comes to town because they know they will put on some show.

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

3. cato13

double post

[This message has been edited by cato13 (edited February 07, 2001).]

4. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Man the Globetrotter stuff really got me excited. It was almost like it was planned and they pulled off some spectacular play almost non-chalantly. Steve's no-look pass to Kenny was sweet.

------------------

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

espn and fox didn't show the Iverson deal though. TNT did. I liked how Steve stood up to Brown, he's got alot of fight in him.

------------------
    "We don't have any plans. We just plan to win." Mack Brown

6. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

Somebody wouldn't happen to have that crossover on Iverson on video and available over the net would they? I saw Iverson crossover MJ and now I've seen Francis crossover Iverson. It was awesome.

-Turbo

7. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The crossover wasn't all that on Iverson. He strained his ribcage when he tried to kick the ball on the crossover. But the one on Lynch was Niceeeee...

------------------

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, I agree with Da Man. Iverson strained his rib cage trying to kick the ball.

The big cross-over that produced the sweet 20 ft-er was on a some nameless fodder.

9. cato13

Yeah it may have been from kicking at the ball, but why was kicking at the ball? Because he just got shook and did it out of frustration.

I still think Steve has the best handles in the NBA. What do you all think?

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

10. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

The only problem I see with his crossover is that it always leads to a jumper. I never see him him use it in combination with a drive to the basket. He needs to learn how to use to get past his defender not just create space for a fadeaway jumper. He needs to stop relying on his strength and first step to get to the basket. Other than that, I think he's the sh*t.

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

11. heypartner

not in the open court.

He has oustanding one-on-one dribbling skills. Personally, in the larger picture of historically great dribblers, the cross-over is highly overrated in my book. The cross-over works first because Francis is so incredible at shooting and jumping, that you cannot get in his face. You are caught between playing him close to stop the shot or backing off to stop the drive. Every dribble that he makes could be the one that he uses to drive or square up and shoot. That gets the defender shaking his ankles, not the actual dribbling display by itself...imo.

It is all his other skills that makes the cross-over work.

Fundamentally, dribbling between your legs through traffic on a fastbreak is more difficult. And the vintage Magic move of showing the ball on the fastbreak only to spin 180 and shield the ball with his body at full speed while not losing forward momentum or the location of his wingmen is rarely seen anymore.

the cross-over is more about toying with a single defender who is afraid of your jumper and your jumping. Great dribblers toy with an entire team of defenders, and make everything look effortless.

Right now, Francis is a great showcase one-on-one dribbler, but far from being a complete package dribbler. I'm withholding judgement on saying Francis's dribbling "is best in the league" until he shows David River's style dribbling in the open court. Remember him Keeley, Bob*.

12. heypartner

I've noticed that, too. That could be just a reaction to the defender, though. As in, why drive if you have them on their heals, and they can't jump. Just square up and shoot!

He does seem not to get around his defender as easily as Mobley does. I don't think this one-on-one stuff makes someone a hall-of-fame dribbling, though. Maybe it is because I have the utmost respect for all the dribblers before Francis, that I'm not willing put him in their class. Mobley and Francis both can freeze their man to not know when he will make his move. Mobley uses a first-step to get them on their heels. Francis uses dancing with the ball to do it. Both are effective.

Can someone tell me what makes a cross-over (in and of itself) so difficult to do?

13. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Nothing, I have a mean crossover. I just don't threaten anything b/c I don't have amazing steps to get around the defender.

------------------

14. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Depends on what you mean by handles. If you mean the "shake and bake" aspect, he is up there, but not the best. But as HP said, he is not the best in the open court.

My favorite open court dribblers (some of them) are Kidd (probably the best), Van Exel, Travis Best, Stoudamire, and Mark Jackson. Jackson is not the fastest, most exciting player to watch, but he is one of the smartest and most efficient open court handlers in the league. In a word, effective. If I am not mistaken, he is leading the league in assist/turnover ratio right now.

As far as "handles" or flashy, ankle breaking dribbling, Stevie is good. Moochie is phenomenal!! I have seen him do some things with the ball that make me say, "How'd he do that????" Same for Jason Williams, he is exciting to watch, and Iverson, well we all know what he can do.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

15. heypartner

Yeah HOOP-T,

When you consider that Moochie doesn't have the height or leaping of Francis to make stopping his jumper or drive more difficult, it is amazing to me how Moochie can get separation from his defender like he does with less raw athletic skills than Francis. It is because Moochie is a better dribbler than Francis, imo.

16. Primetime

Primetime Member

Steve HAS an outside shot that he hits consistently, so he can use his crossover and hesitation dribble to set up the outside shot. Aren't you guys seeing him breakdown the defense, slice through the lane, then dish to a wide-open 3-point shooter? Just because he isn't finishing every drive doesn't mean he can't get by his man. the guy is a point guard, and he's doing what a PG should do: have a good outside J, create for your teamates, and hit the big shot whenever we need it.

As for handles, how the hell are you going to tell me Damon Stoudamire is up there??? They guy is always jacking outside shots, and when he does go inside he has to do that annoying jumpstop plus a hop (travelling) because he has no hops. Iverson was THE FIRST to unleash the new age crossover, so pay him his respect, but Steve is definitly a better ball handler than most gurads in the NBA.

------------------
    Kobe ain't Jordan, unless you listen to NBC.

17. heypartner

Primetime,

You are absolutely correct that Francis shouldn't look to go all the way to the rim as much as a shooting guard like Mobley can. When Francis gets into the lane, we are a much better team.

Problem is, Francis does not get into the lane or free-throw line area as much as we need. In all fairness to Francis, the opposing defenses are doing everything possible to prevent him from getting there. They always aggressively trap a pnr with Francis. It is very hard, and arguable futile to try to get around that trap. But, Mobley does get around it and into the free throw line area. Francis either shoots over the pick, runs away from it baseline, or waves the pick away and ISOs (often against the now established double-team).

This is somewhat off topic, as his success on the pick and roll is not really relevant to his dribbling, but I just wanted to respond to Primetime's comment that he gets into the lane and has success. Yes, he does indeed have success in the lane, but I'd like to see him beat the pnr trap more to get into the lane or open up the roller. He seems to give up on the pnr when he sees that trap.

18. cato13

You know what? I forgot all about Jason Williams. He has got handles as well. The flashy kind as well as the pushing the ball up the court kind.

When I talk about handles I am talking about the flashy, make you say ooohhhh, ahhhh, kind. You know, like hot dogging almost. The kind of stuff that Francis was doing at the end of the game and making it look easy. The kind that makes the defender look crazy.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jason kidd is the best open court dribbler but he aint gonna shake no one with his. He is fundamental, somewhat like Stockton.

And Iverson can do it with the best of them!

Remember I did say I was somewhat biased. [​IMG]

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Respect for being able to carry the ball without getting it called?

20. cato13

AMEM MY BROTHER OR SISTER!

I really don't think they are recognizing? But thats OK, thats their opinion.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder