1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's talk about Marcus Thornton...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #Pursuit, Nov 4, 2015.

1. DenisM

DenisM Member

I am afraid that when our roster is fully healthy, when DMo, Bev and TJones come back, McHale will glue Thornton to the bench. He loves playing Brewer, idk why, but we can see that Brewer plays like **** and McHale keeps giving him a lot of minutes.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

This dude is the most under-rated signing. Always liked his game and knew he would make a big impact here. I was surprised that the idiot Mc**** didn't use him in the first few games. In a way TJ injury was a blessing in disguise because the idiot McHale would have probably left MT in the dog house.

What I really like about him apart from his shooting is that he can actually handle the ball a bit.

When teams load up on Harden and to an extent Lawson expecting them to be the main ball handlers, Thornton can actually run some offense and set up Dwight for some alley oops as he has done. And with his deadly outside shot, he will always have space to fake and drive to set up Dwight or finish himself

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

We'll see. It's not unprecedented. McHale trusted Canaan enough to start him in place of Bev early last season and then basically benched him til the trade deadline once Bev returned from injury. I do hope since Thornton is a vet who's almost the same age as Brewer, McHale won't do the same thing this season. All I know is the Rockets got their asses whooped in 2 games where Thornton didn't play. Since then, they're 4-1 with him in the rotation and that 1 loss included a first half drubbing of the Heat before the Rockets collapsed.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was excited about signing Thornton (check my 7/12/15 post) and he hasn't disappointed me. A huge get by Daryl that's paying off early in the season. Marcus is driven by a desire to earn a contract that reflects his worth, in my opinion, and if we're really lucky, he'll play at this high a level throughout the season and into the playoffs. I was concerned a bit about his defense, but he hasn't been bad in that department. How does Morey find these guys? The dude is a magician.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Shhhh... Morey might just get that idea from you.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Offensively, it really is great having Harden/Lawson/Thornton on the floor at the same time. You have 3 players that can both shoot and take their man off the dribble. Just really opens up the offense.

That is one of the things that makes Golden State so deadly is 4 of their starters can put the ball on the floor as well as shoot.

New age NBA: PG, Big, 3 swingmen.

7. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

Gotta love this guy, he can shoot, can pass, can defend, and he is cheap, what is not to love.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Call me crazy but could be a better fit and pickup than harden

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

*closes browser and turns off the lights*

1 person likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

..... you're takin' that comment better than me.

11. dmoneybangbang

Morey knew we needed a shooter, possible ex-6th man type of gunner. I just assumes he has some sort of rolodex full of players on cheap contracts categorized by skill set.

12. jxl92182

jxl92182 Member

Crazy it is.

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

[​IMG]

14. RESINator

RESINator Member

how the fk is this dude one of our best players

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

My face is currently melting from this scorching hot take

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Stick to posting tweets, pls.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Thanks

18. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

LETS TALK ABOU THOW THE RCOKETS CANT STOP PLAYING DOWN TO THEIR OPPONENT. IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOU'RE THE WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE, YOU CAN STILL BEAT US CUZ WE SUUUUUCK

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

So maybe bench either of Lawson or Thornton? Play them as 6th man and start a PF! Small ball aint working.

I would probably bench Thornton, have him as the gunner off the bench when Harden first sits. But then have him as the finisher at the other guard spot

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You gotta bench Ty at this point. I don't see it happening, but that's what needs to be done.

If they're going to roll with Thornton as the starter (which I'm cool with), you have to move Ty to the bench. You can't roll out a backcourt of Ty-Harden-Thornton and expect to have a prayer defending anybody, and if Ariza is the 4, then kiss rebounding goodbye as well.

And that's not even counting the offense, which is just not working. Lawson and Harden are a bad fit, just like Josh Smith was a bad fit with the starters last year. Ty hasn't even been bad this year, but his role isn't defined and he's being misused.