1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's talk about Marcus Thornton...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #Pursuit, Nov 4, 2015.

1. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Okay, Clyde.

2. Victorious

Victorious Member

Thorthon knows how to get get buckets. Plain and simple. Can shoot and get his own shot off.

3. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

He's very good rebounder for his size

4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Marcus Thornton is a nobody and very replaceable. Not to sound harsh but you guys have to be honest here and agree that we've seen this role before.

Carlos Delfino was hot for us and we thought it would be a tough loss letting him go. Garcia came here and started off really hot for us. At one point it seemed like he couldn't miss. And then he missed a lot. Omri Casspi started off hot for us first couple games I believe. Became pretty useless.

Morey can easily find a Marcus Thornton next summer. Again this is coming off harsh but it is fact. I do like Marcus' hustle.

5. theredbackpack

i'd disagree. while thornton is not absolutely crucial to the team's success, his career as a whole could arguably already be considered more successful than any of those guys (save for casspi who might do stuff in sacramento if given enough time). he's already got a reputation those guys never had. if he stays with the hot hand, he could become a very coveted player if the rockets have a lot of success this season.

6. MadMaxwell

MadMaxwell Member

for some reason he reminds me of von wafer

7. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I'm so impressed, he fits so well

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

But I wanted to talk about sex... Baby

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I agree im loving what im seeing so far but more than likely he will go cold and find his way to the bench before the season is over

10. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Pm me

11. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

At his salary, he's not easily replaceable.

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Thornton is great! He makes some nice cuts and can make some great passes. I understand McHale wants to stay loyal to Brewer who provides a lot of energy and hustle, which paid off at the end. However, if you have a shooter like that, you need to find him some minutes in a tight game like this. He was turning the ball over late so I get Brew over him, but Brew was pretty **** most of the game with his gambling.

I'm sure McHale and company have plays designed for him, but Ty & Harden need to run them! Thornton looked clearly frustrated with Harden and Ty who continue to dribble for a good 5-10 seconds at the top of the key. He stopped moving though, because it was iso ball and clearly no plan to what they were doing.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You very obviously didn't follow his career at all.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Every players goes through shooting slumps throughout the course of the year. Ariza started off sizzling hot and then went on a major shooting slump and then he found his shot again. It happens to them all man. Just as long as he continue to do the other tangible things, he will be fine.

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

And for those that think he will eat away at Brewer's minutes, I think not. I believe he will find minutes behind Harden, a few behind Ariza and maybe a few behind Lawson.

I thought you guys wanted Harden's minutes reduced.

16. atwood

atwood Member

Not only he made consist 3s, he also added the mid-range jump this team desperately need. He is also an underrated passer as some folks mentioned in this thread.

In one in-bound play last night, Harden set the screen for Thornton, who made the classic catch and shot. This proved that Coach McHale has designed specific play for Thornton.

Another example, also from last night, is the pass Thornton made to Capela, who finished with an easy dunk.Thornton showed that he is not just a shooter, he could be a facilitator too.

Hope he still get consistent minutes after TJ and DM come back.

:grin:

17. csc177

csc177 Member

I like watching Thortons facial "what the hell were you thinking" expressions when Harden throws one of his stupid passes that leads to a turnover. It's priceless. I can see these 2 bumping heads at some point this season. However if he keeps putting the ball in the hoop like he's been, Who cares?

18. Raven

Raven Member

It's a long season, but he's playing his way into a massive contract. As I always point out, all it takes is one desperate team.

19. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I keep saying this in the game threads but Thornton is making Brewer very expendable.

As much a I love Brewer's energy, he gets way too out of control at times. Sometimes he looks like a headless chicken and those out of control drives to the basket are either the ugliest thing I've seen on the court or a turnover waiting to happen, sometimes both. Defensively, he consistently loses his man off picks and gambles too much which puts more pressure on guys to rotate. Also, he just doesn't bring the shooting we need consistently at that position.

I will say this about Brewer, when we finally hit our stride is when he will bring to play well again. He seems to be the kind of player that excels if his team is moving the ball, getting out in the break and playing fast. We aren't doing that right now.

Thornton really brings what we need from that back up wing position. Good shooting, can create for himself off drives, runs the break. He is surprisingly very solid on defense other than some late rotations here and there. I really felt that once we signed him, we were more willing to let Brewer walk in the offseason, I considered him to be an upgrade over Brewer for what this team needs from the backup shooting guard.

Brewer's team friendly 8 million dollar contract over 3 years will look very good for a team Coke the deadline or in the offseason. Would not be surprised if Morey tries to move a combination of Brewer, Beverley and Jones with McDaniels or Dekker as a sweetener to get either a player to help us this season in the playoffs or to relieve cap space to go free KD in the summer.

20. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Classic morey strategy..
    Gets a player on the cheap
    Player outplays his contract
    Morey trades player for first round pick
    First round pick gets traded for durant.
    Genius

1 person likes this.