1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Another day in America] John Henson racially profiled at jewelry store

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Oct 19, 2015.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Your graphs showed me something completely different:

The number of black murder victims is almost the same as the number of white murder victims. Yet, according to your graphs, there are five times more whites than blacks in America. Which means that blacks are murdered at a rate 5 times higher than whites are. Sucks to get murdered five time more frequently, eh?

I know your response: “Well, the blacks deserve it if they wanna kill each other.”

That’s like saying a male deserves to get murdered if another male does the crime. "Well, the males deserve it if they wanna kill each other."

What your argument shows is that you don't care who the victims are; you just care about the race of the perpetrators. But if the victims are not important to you, why do you care about the perpetrators?

2. malakas

malakas Member

With the release of the 911phone record it's obvious to me that the woman employee named Patty is an idiot and a shameless racist.
    I sincerely hope that she lost her job.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Unfortunately all of the usual suspects have left this thread after they have been utterly disbanded in their arguments.

On to the next thread, where they will come back, make the same tired arguments, and then get destroyed again. Rinse and repeat.

1 person likes this.
  4. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I agree with this statement but I believe that the biggest contributing factors to this problem are government "entitlement" style welfare programs.

It is impossible to gain self worth from something that is given to you. Reagan said it best, the greatest social program is a job.

US social programs are not assisting people in this area. I think they are actually demotivating people from working at all. There are a few exceptions that use the systems as a "leg up" to help them out of a bad situation but I think they are exceptions. People that are living in a culture of multi-generational government dependence are very unlikely to grow into anything else, they have no role model to show them a different way.

I watched my parents go to work every day. I go to work every day and my kids are seeing that. What does a kid that has never seen that grow up and do?

5. cml750

cml750 Member

Personally I think it is a crying shame but it speaks volumes about the culture. It also goes largely unreported in the main stream media but let a cop or a white person kill a black person and that is all you hear about. I am not saying it is okay. Killing is wrong no matter what. Black on black, white on black, etc.... but the fact that this is pushed under the rug as the dirty little secret is sad. Major cultural changes need to take place in the black communities to change this. A great start would be fathers taking responsibility for the children they father.

6. amaru

amaru Member

Got my results back.....Ibo people of Nigeria! :grin:

1 person likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Cool!

8. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I've spent a lot of time in the hood. There are a lot of hard-working people in the hood.

The biggest problem facing the poorest neighborhoods is the criminal justice system. There is no doubt that police disproportionately target poor and black/brown neighborhoods. Something like 95% of charges get a plea deal and jail time. If you're caught up in some BS where the cop broke the law (no probable cause being the main one) you're offered a deal. Take it to trial, maybe face 10-20 years. Or eat the charge and get 2. The system is designed for you to plea. There was a study recently that stated that if like, I forget, 25% more cases go to trial, our entire court system would collapse.

The police also go out of their way to lock up all the fathers for non-violent drug offenses. So single parent household. Low-wage earners can barely survive with the way the economy is now, what do you expect??

I'm 34 years old. In the 70s and 80s, it was possible to earn enough money working in a factory as a single person and support a family, I saw my parents do it. Imagine doing that now?? Imagine being denied loans because of lending discrimination??

Welfare is only a symptom of the disease. The disease being criminal injustice, discrimination in lending/laws, and the police.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Take some Nigerian history courses. When I was at UT I was lucky to have one of the best Nigerian history professors around. It's an interesting and fractured country.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you really think this way you should visit poor areas and actually see how people live before you buy into the right-wing propaganda of the "welfare" queen narrative you have been indoctrinated into. It will open your yes.

11. ling ling

ling ling Member

If you take away the police and criminal injustice, would the hood become a neighborhood, or would it become North Mexico?

12. body slam

body slam Member

hard to survive, but has money for drugs

13. Remii

Remii Member

You're wrong... Black men are the only criminals in this country...

Everyone else are angles.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think people are asking to take away police or criminal justice system. They are just asking that the police and criminal justice system be a little more fair.

15. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

It's a vicious cycle.

Poor people are depressed.
    Depressed people abuse drugs.
    Abusing drugs keeps you poor.
    Poor people are depressed.

Black people here started poor. Right after the Civil Rights movement they were denied jobs. Heroin was mass imported, kept one generation disable. Black people were vilified and you see the dawn of the "War on Drugs" and harsh drug sentencing. You have a resurgence of black power in the late 70s. Crack was introduced. Same thing.

Now compare the heroin epidemic in poor white people now. No vilification, these people "need help", "need counseling", rehabilitation as opposed to mandatory minimum sentences of 20 years breaking up families.

Multiple generations of people.

The entire hood is a case of vicious cycles. I can list 100 factors that self perpetuate this poverty, but its pointless because people will still think these people are lazy and just want to live off the government's dime. When if you actually meet and converse with these people like I have for many years, you come away with the impression that they actually want to do the right thing and support themselves.

Of course you have the 20% who take advantage of the government, just like you have people and small businesses who cheat on their taxes (there are lots) or wall street bankers colluding and stealing or the military complex that builds **** they don't need, all stealing and wasting money.

It's quite odd that people are so quick to vilify poor people as moochers, but the biggest moochers in America are actually corporations/farms/military.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Strawman alert - pay attention Rojo. Education for you today!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zdFFVu4_fHo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#456 Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

right angles? obtuse angles? or acute angles?

See even with angles you have stereotypes and segregation. It's disgusting.

18. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

You are arguing a point I didn't make. I have been poor, I know what it looks like. I know what it's like to go to work every day and make less than the person next door who doesn't work and wonder why I'm working.

If there is anyone here that can't see the truth it is you.

I'm certain that a larger welfare check will give people the kind of self respect that gets them out of the hood... Wake up.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You simply don't know the issues that are the crux of the problem. you think black people are lazy and that they don't want to work but would rather lay around and collect welfare checks while they eat watermelon. That's fundamentally the problem.

20. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Wow. This is a very, very good post.

There are maybe 2 people on this site who are on my level intellectually - none sexually - and these series of posts lets me know youre a part of that club.

What do you recommend when it comes to the judicial system and plea bargaining? Is the stereotype of police hatred for the ghetto stifling productive development in blacks? I feel you haven't addressed the culture of entitlement where youngsters think they are too good to work a menial job and would rather go the thug route. How can you expect the cops to make a change before hood culture does?