1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Google] 2015 Nexus & Chromecast Event

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Sep 29, 2015.

1. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

I was assuming it would stay as a pending charge until they were ready to ship, then it would officially post as a purchase when they charged me for it and shipped out.. So don't worry that it's not even showing as pending anymore?

2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

that's correct. no need to worry. standard google ship/charge practices.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I was on the fence again about upgrading but then after seeing all the great reviews, I had to re-order. Of course now it's wait listed. Wish I had kept my original order :(

4. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Check here

https://store.google.com/orderhistory?hl=en

1 person likes this.
  5. Miguel

I couldn't bring myself to pay an extra 100 bucks for 64GB more.

I am going up from 16GB, (with a 32GB card for Spotify offline sync which is about 1/3 full)

Hopefully I won't regret that decision later.

6. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

7. OmegaSupreme

it was 50 more for the 64, but i get what you're saying. i've never run out of space with the 32, but the frost color was only sold in 64 and 128. couldn't justify the 128 and now glad that i didn't after seeing the delay. they've yet to ship out any frosts, but they're still in my estimated time frame. latest is nov 2 w/overnight delivery. i'm used to google screwing up the order process from the past several years.

btw, you're waaay over your quota for posts for the year.

8. Miguel

I know. I can't imagine why I've posted in the Hangout so much more this year for no particular reason.

9. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I received mine on Monday. I pre-ordered the first day and saw a pre-authorization. It dropped off, and then I saw charges either last Thursday or Friday. Then I got the shipment notice Friday and it was delivered Monday.

10. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

got my 6P today, in the process of downloading of all my apps over, that Google feature to transfer your stuff over, as far as apps, home screen layout is a pretty sweet feature

awesome to see the home screen have a 5x5 layout, which I know is the same on most huge screen devices, so use to having 4x4 all these years with 4/5+ displays

setup with finger print scanner was pretty easy/prompt. I'm setting up everything first via wifi before I swap my SIM over

#50 Dave2000, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  11. Miguel

So far so good.

I'm going the long route of not importing everything and just downloading/setting things up from scratch. Not necessarily taking very long, but I just want a fresh start with all my apps and everything.

Did the 3 month trial for Google Music. I may end up making the swap from Spotify, assuming I can get all my Spotify playlists imported (via 3rd party means) to GMusic.

Podcasts addition is the gamechanger in the whole switch. And Youtube Red.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im jealous of you guys...but I'll keep coming back in here to hear about your experiences with the phone because I like to torture myself.

13. Victorious

Victorious Member

I have had my 5X for about a week (ordered on initial launch) and I love it. First, if you want a phone with the best specs, you are better off with the 6P or something like S6. Initial impressions...

- Beautiful phone. I love the black on black, makes it look so clean. Its also surprisingly light. Easily the lightest thing in my pockets, can hardly tell its there. Fits nicely in my hands. Good to come back down from giant phones lol

- Coming from Android 4.4, Marshmallow is their best to date. Runs so smooth. Homescreen is finally 5x5. Might just be able to stick with the stock google launcher now.

- Fingerprint scanner is flawless. Should be a must on all phones. Can't wait to see how else it can be integrated.

- Battery life is ok. After first charge, I got about 3hr15mins of onscreen time, 2nd charge i got 4hr15mins onscreen (both with 5% left). Wish it was better but its at least comparable, if not better than my oneplus. which gave me the best onscreen time i've had with phones.

- Camera, yes its as good as people have said. Pictures i've taken have looked great.

- Now onto the audio. I'm disappointed. I don't think the one speaker at the bottom works how it looks. You could cover the entire speak with your finger and you can barely tell a difference. You can hear and fell the sound coming from the back of the phone. I'm a bit of an audiophile so I notice all this. It sounds very tinny. If you are watching a video with a lot of sound in the background, it could sound distorted. Like I recorded a video at the rockets game yesterday and I can't tell if the camera does not record audio well or if its just the speaker (im guessing its speaker). Its not a deal breaker for me, just isn't as loud as I would have expected it to be. This is the biggest flaw of the phone I think.

- I do notice that sometimes there is a slight lag switching between apps, but nothing that hurts the user experience. But it saves your place, instead of loading the app again. So I'll take the trade off of saving my place at the expense of instant switch.

- Made the switch to Project Fi and so far so good. Have not felt any difference switching from tmobile.

14. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

Status change from PENDING to PROCESSING !! Woot! This wait has been killing me...

Any new reviews from you guys that already got yours?

15. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

As promised, here's my initial report of the 6P I received a few days ago:

- Phone is super fast, crisp and runs butter smooth - Marshmellow is a huge upgrade, no lag (so far). You got to love the pure android experience, and none of that 3rd party crap they run on non-google devices.
    - Great polished metal design which feels solid in the hands. You're going to need a case for this if you're going to take this baby outside otherwise it'll slip from your hands.
    - Set up was easy - I used the Google copy feature where it took apps from my previous device. Very slick and saved a lot of time.
    - Fingerprint setup is easy to use.
    - I'm liking the double click power option to go straight to camera. Some think it's counter intuitive but it's convenient.
    - Front speakers are loud - they don't F around on the 6P. This is clearly a big advantage over the 5X if you're willing to put in more money for the upgrade (and worth it imho).
    - Battery power is average. I played and setup my phone for a few hours and power went from 100% to 68%. Left it uncharged over night and battery went down 3%, which I think is good. (the phone does get a little warm so I'm monitoring that).
    - I'm lukewarm w/ the USB Type C technology. They only give you one cable and I need one for my living room, bed room, office, and car. These are costly so far.
    - Picture quality is superior. Front facing 8.0 megapixel means I can take more selfies lol.
    - I also received my $50 Google Play credit which was a nice add in.

Overall, this phone rocks. I'm loving it. Only for Android purists!!

1 person likes this.
  16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I love my 6p. It's the best Nexus & Android phone I've owned and I'm confident in saying that after just two days of use.

As others have said already, it's super fast. Love the design and feel, very premium. The cost for $549 (got the 64gb) seems like a bargain now compared to a few other smartphones with the caliber of specs this has.

I'm not big on cameras for a smartphone, but there's a huge noticeable difference between past Nexus' that I've owned and this one. They seemed to have really done well with this.

One thing that I didn't really care about in the past was a fingerprint scanner or not having one. It's beginning to grow on me, and I like that it's very fast.

USB type C is probably my most favorite feature of this phone. It charges faster than my Nexus 6 did with the Motorola Turbo charger. Obviously USB-C is still not mainstream yet, though I know a lot of technology is headed in that direction so I'll happily purchase USB type C cables.

Last but not least, the battery. So far the battery life has held up great. I've gotten a whole day's use (8 AM to 9 PM) on moderate-heavy use with some more battery to spare. Initially with new phones, they're usually good with battery life until the battery health recedes. So I'll wait for a few months and see how well this performs.

All in all though, I don't really have a complaint. Highly recommended if you're looking for an Android phone. I don't think there's another phone on the market right now that beats the software and hardware combo.

1 person likes this.
  17. OmegaSupreme

finally got frost 64GB 6p this morning. geez, man... took one month plus one week. :eek: don't have to much to add to what folks have already mentioned.

-camera is indeed 2legit2quit this time around.
    -i'll echo what everyone is saying about the "type-c" connectors. having to weed out which ones fastcharge and which ones don't is troublesome. also folks are taking advantage by upping the price on the cables/adapters that do.
    -the slightly smaller width makes all the difference in the world when handling compared to the nexus 6.
    -zero lag. the phone really flies and the animations are butter.
    -the camera hump is minimal. you have to see it in person to realize that it's almost not there.
    -feels super sleek. lightweight and looks cool in white.

nothing else to say. just a super awesome stock android phone.

#57 OmegaSupreme, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No inductive charging, no thanks.

19. OmegaSupreme

meh. to each his own. i prefer being able to use my phone when it charges. different strokes...

20. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

My most anticipated feature for the 6P was the fingerprint sensor. It did not disappoint. I can unlock it before it even gets out of my pocket. It also integrates well with LastPass for password management.

The phone is too slick for me, I need to get a case before I drop it.

I too wish it had wireless charging, but the lack of it wasn't enough to prevent me from buying it. I'm waiting to see what the good car chargers are now, it seems like there can be big differences in quality between every company's cables.

Huawei made a great phone. I'll definitely consider their other products in the future.