1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Internet issues?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by joesr, Oct 20, 2015.

1. joesr

joesr Member

Hey Clutchfans, was hoping to find a internet savvy tech like person here that might know my issues.

We didn't have this issue at our last place but after we moved Comcast gave us a new modem (this one has four LAN connections in the back versus one like our older one). We went thru the same hook up, almost, using two apple routers (spreading the wifi) but every time I hook up the apple router the internet 'crashes'. Take the apple router off and the internet works again. The same thing happens when I try to connect a second computer, internet crashes but becomes stable again when I disconnect either of them.

Anything comes to mind? Some internet researches talks about switching to bridge mode. Wanted to see what you guys thought before I tried anything and if maybe there could be a different solution.

Thanks in advance !

2. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Try a different brand of router. If it works, you know it's a problem with the routers themselves. If it doesn't work, you've got a bigger problem but at least you can rule out the router.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I feel sorry for you son I got 99 problems but a wifi ain't one.

4. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

That's because you have a combination modem/wifi router from Comcast, and not a true modem.

Your Apple Airport Extreme by default uses the 10.X subnet range, which is the same thing as the Comcast combination device. I bet if you go to http:/10.0.0.1 you'll pull up the configuration page for your Comcast gateway.

You have three options, I'll list them in order of what I would do.

1. Go purchase your own modem from Amazon, Walmart, Fry's, or BestBuy. Anything like a Motorola SB6121 or SB6141 will work just fine. You can call in to Comcast and get it activated in just a few minutes and save yourself $96 a year (it pays for itself in less than a year)

2. Go to your nearest Comcast store, and go trade in your current device for a traditional modem.

3. Put your Comcast gateway into bridge mode. Depending on your tech saviness, this could probably be really easy or really complicated. Comcast should be able to walk you through this process over the phone if you can reach someone competent. There are also some online guides out there

Edit: Actually there's also a fourth option. You can have your Apple Router be put into AP mode, and that way the Comcast gateway is the only thing doing NAT and DHCP. Just make sure the SSID is the same as your Comcast gateway

5. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Without knowing any further details, my best guess is that your comcast device is acting like a modem + router now instead of a modem only, which is what is happening with all service providers now. Your apple devices are also routers, which cant happen to be on the same network of another router to state simply. You'll have to either turn off the DHCP and routing in the comcast device, then delegate your apple devices as the main routers, or the easiest way is to bridge the apple devices to your comcast, which will spoof the mac and pass through traffic and have your apple devices be only access points. This is only a preliminary guess as I'm not sure how your network is setup or additional details.

1 person likes this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'm confused. Is the piece of equipment you received from Comcast both a modem/router combo. Or is it just a modem with multiple LAN connections?

I have had both types of equipment from Comcast. The combination modem/router gave me nothing but problems. I now have just a modem, and am using my own router, and it works much better for me.

1 person likes this.
  7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It sounds like a subnet issue. You're probably running a 192.168.0.1 on both devices. As mentioned above, put your apple router into AP mode and problem solved.

1 person likes this.
  8. joesr

joesr Member

Oh...?? Dangit. I thought it was a combo router/modem since it had 4 LAN ports What is the difference if it is a modem with multiple ports?

And thank you everyone for the help

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

This. The 6141 has been on sale for as low as 60 bucks.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If there are (multiple) ports labeled LAN, then its a router.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Put it in bridge mode.... Comcast will do it over the phone, or you can do it by logging into the router itself by going to the 10.0.0.1 page.

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

My bad. Sorry for the confusion. My modem doesn't have multiple LAN ports. It has phone jacks, not multiple LAN ports. It was my old Modem/router that had the multiple LAN ports. I exchanged the combo modem/router for just a modem, and am now using it with my own separate router.