1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICE EQUIPMENT] Computer Chair

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FlyerFanatic, Oct 18, 2015.

1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

so think i'm finally going to invest in a quality office/computer chair. I've been using just low end models around $100-$200 bucks all my life. figure investing in one thats a better quality would be wise.

any recommendations? doing a bit of minimal search on google seems top brands tend to be: steel case, herman miller, humanscale.

ideally looking to spend around $900-$1000

power of clutchfans unite!

2. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

I can recommend the Herman Miller Embody, but the Aeron, Mirra, Leap, etc. are also really nice. I looked through a lot of chairs...

At work I have an Aeron and I like it. The Aeron has three sizes, A/B/C (small to large). I am 6'/160 pounds and the A was just too small. The B's seat was not deep enough I thought at first, but got used to it. The C was just way too big (really wide). Retail on a new one is $700 for a basic one, but used they're usually around $500 - depending on your location Craigslist may have some.

HM also makes the Mirra which is pretty nice chair. The seat is mesh like the Aeron and the seat pans in and out (unlike the Aeron). I did not like the plastic back, but they do have the option of a fabric cover. Pricing starts in the $700 price range, but fully configured it can get into the $1200+.

Outside of HM, there's also Steelcase (Leap), Humanscale, HON, and Haworth (Zoby) that I looked at.

It came down to the Embody versus the Mirra and Leap, but once configured to how I wanted, they were over $1,000. Due to the comfort and design, I chose the Embody. Also, Herman Miller has a 12 year warranty, so it will last for a while.

Ultimately, you must sit on one before making a good decision. Also, configure and adjust the chair as much as possible. Keep in mind that padded seating can eventually wear out, also doesn't allow for as much breathing... I prefer a mesh seat. An important sizing measure that I noticed was that you do not want you legs to hit the seat to ensure better circulation. I had a chair at work prior that had this problem and my legs did fall asleep.

Plus, it's quite beautiful....

[​IMG]

3. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

any idea where i could go to test the different chairs at?

ideally one place that has all the chairs so i can compare at the same time?

4. FrancisFan

I'm not sure about in Houston, but you can try Design Within Reach (they at least carry HM). From what I found, no one place carries all brands.

Also, I think Herman Miller's semi annual sale is coming up in November/December (15% off). You can order online from a place like allmodern.com or yliving.com and get no tax, free shipping, and the discount. Keep in mind that they have quick ship models (asset on hand) and custom made (4-8 week wait time).

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I got the Steelcase (Leap) just last year and it has been tremendous. Very comfortable. Like you, for years I used crappy 100-200 dollar chairs. I am glad I bit the bullet and invested in a proper chair. If you are going to spend all day sitting in it, I think it is worth it.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

You sold me. I'll take the whole setup including the dog.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I used to think people that paid $500+ for office chairs were off their rockers (pun intended), but I'm getting tired of buying the $89 Staples "sale" chair every 1-2 years because the "leather" cracks/tears and the seat starts wobbling and creaking like it's a gate to a 300 year old cemetary. Do these higher-dollar chairs last at least 5 years? Because, if so, I'm willing to buy one. :grin:

9. FrancisFan

Yea, Herman Miller has a 12 year warranty (legit warranty too). Look on Craigslist for a used Aeron if you want to keep it lower ($350-500).

10. what

what Member

You can get a decent chair for around $279 at office depot that don't wear out that fast.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

At this point, you're just now breaking in the chair. Thats when it fits most comfortably.