1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] Thor : Ragnarok

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

$1,402,805,868 to be exact.

2. Buck Turgidson

How many albums have Justin Beiber and Taylor Swift sold?

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No clue, don't like them, but people definitely care about them and they're making more music. The major difference being that Marvel's characters have been relevant for 75+ years. Doesn't really qualify as a fad to me if it's been around for so long. More on par with the NBA than it is 2 new pop stars.

4. Buck Turgidson

I'm just saying that something's general popularity is not a good indication of its quality, not saying anything about that movie in particular.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think people may be getting burned out on Marvel movies, and maybe Marvel has run into problems trying to raise the bar every time, but they're still good films. Do people forget when most superhero movies were crap?

#25 Cannonball, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GeDJAKvcZ9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It does seem like they overloaded Joss Whedon with too many story requirements and preconditions to make the story work as well as possible.

Avengers is kind of designed as the spoke around which the Marvel wheel turns. I expect that future Avenger films will continue to be weighed down by that burden - setting up all the other franchises - and will rely on spectacle and big explosions. That doesn't mean that some of the franchises out on the periphery won't be surprising and interesting. Prior to Ultron, the last two films were Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy, which were probably the best two Marvel films to date, in different ways.

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Nope.

I know a lot of people hated the first Hulk. Also Superman has been pretty sh**y lately. To name a couple.

8. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Batman and Robin. Daredevil. Catwoman. Elektra. Old Fantastic Four and this year's Fantastic Four. X-Men 3. Green Lantern.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I actually like the Thor Movies
    They are entertaining

I think Iron Man 2 and 3 were the worse

Rocket River

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm in the minority that also liked the Thor movies. They're definitely not the best. I really enjoyed all the subtle facial acting in Thor 2, although the parts on earth were a bit lame, and the villain was very one dimensional.

Iron Man 2 was probably the worst. I liked Iron Man 3, but I can see why some didn't. I think a lot more people would have appreciated it if they hadn't shown the "surprise" ending in the trailers 8 billion times.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Marvel Studios is a victim of it's own high bar. AoU was a disappointment because it wasn't as good as the first Avengers, which was awesome! But it certainly wasn't bad.

I don't think there's a burnout factor over superhero movies; they're a genre now, not a fad.

Anyway, I'm pretty hyped that Hulk may be in Thor. Their scenes together in the first Avengers were the best, IMO.

12. Dei

Dei Member

The first Thor remains my favorite MCU movie. I know a lot of people with bad taste hated it because it emphasized more on character development than superhero fights but I thought that made the overall message of humility and maturity more felt - which is really the point of these superhero movies; that you learn something about how to use your extraordinary gifts for the greater good. That's why Thor 2 rubbed me off the wrong way. It's the first time I felt the MCU start to become as convoluted as the comics. It shifted away from that simple vehicle for a moral lesson into some show where the emphasis is on what happens to x characters you invested time into knowing.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The first one was an awesome.
    I like KURSE more than Maleketh . . . I like the energy of Thor 2
    Loki was great but i did like the Expanded view of Asgard [still did not feel the rainbow bridge]

the character growth was done mainly in the first one
    The second one took on being more responsible and taking on his father as a an adult rather than a spoiled child

They both have high level of ReWatchability for me

Rocket River

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

They all have been a little bit an awesome.

15. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Count me as liking the Thor movies as well. I didn't care for Iron Man 2 & 3, and I thought the first Cap movie was flat out boring. Winter Soldier, Iron Man 1, and Thor 1 were far and away my favorites of the stand-alone movies.

I'm stoked for Ragnarok.

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I rather enjoyed the Thor movies as well. There are clunky parts but I thought they did a pretty strong job of introducing and carrying the character. It really could have been a massive mess.

17. Xerobull

Cate Blanchett Ever So Briefly Talks THOR: RAGNAROK

For the first time since reports had claimed that Cate Blanchett was in final talks with Marvel to join the third installment of the Thor franchise, Ragnarok, the two-time Academy Award-winner has finally commented on the possibility

[​IMG]

It’s been nearly a month since news broke that Cate Blanchett was in final negotiations to join her fellow Aussie actor Chris Hemsworth in next year’s Thor: Ragnarok. However, the two-time Oscar-winning actress revealed last week that she will take a break from acting this year to spend more time at home with her family, which has led us to wonder if her negotiations with Marvel Studios might have fallen through. Fortunately, USA Today asked her about joining the Thor threequel.

“I would love that,” said Cate Blanchett of playing a superhero in Ragnarok, seemingly confirming that she is still on board for the 2017 project. “I’d love to get fit and punch people,” she added.

The fact that Thor: Ragnarok will be filming primarily in Australia, where Cate Blanchett resides, probably played a big role in the acting heavyweight signing on despite wanting to take a break. Anyhow, there is still no word on who exactly Blanchett will portray in the God of Thunder’s third solo outing, but speculation points to either Valkyrie, the Enchantress, or Hela. What do you think?

Starring Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Jaimie Alexander, Ray Stevenson, Anthony Hopkins, and Mark Ruffalo, Thor: Ragnarok is currently being scripted by Christopher Yost and Craig Kyle with Taika Waititi set to direct, and the movie scheduled to release in theaters on November 3, 2017.

18. Xerobull

Looks like Hulk will be in the movie. Big win, IMO, as their interplay in the first Avengers was a highlight.

Mark Ruffalo Likens The 'Banner/Thor Dynamic In THOR: RAGNAROK To MIDNIGHT RUN

n a recent interview with Empire, Mark Ruffalo spoke about his role as Hulk/Bruce Banner in Thor: Ragnarok. The actor compares the relationship of Banner and the God of Thunder to that of Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin in '80s buddy movie, Midnight Run.

[​IMG]

In a recent interview with Empire Magazine, Mark Ruffalo name-checked hilarious '80s flick Midnight Run when desribing the dynmamic between his Bruce Banner and Thor (Chris Hemsworth) as they zip around the Nine Realms. “There’s a little bit of Midnight Run, with [Charles] Grodin and [Robert] De Niro,” said Ruffalo. "I feel like that’s kind of where we’re heading with this relationship between Thor and Banner.” Sounds like we can expect a bit of squabbling! Ruffalo was then asked to elaborate on his earlier revelation that Thor: Ragnarok would be a road movie. “It is a universal road movie – that’s where we’re heading,” he explained. “It’s not where you'd think it will be, so it’s not your classic road movie but it has that structure, I think."

Ruffalo then went on to talk about what we could expect from the highly anticipated team-up between Thor and Hulk. "I love Chris [Hemsworth], and it’s not an accident that we’ve been put together because we have a good time together and we goof off. The fact that we’re moving towards the smart-comedic bent plays into our relationship.” Ruffalo was then asked if he was looking forward to visiting Asgard, Thor's home world. “[Am I looking forward to that?] Hells, yeah,” replied Ruffalo excitingly.

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Honestly I saw this coming (other than the rumors) when they announced that Jeff Goldblum would be the Grandmaster.

a) How else would Hulk magically be off Earth and in other realms with Thor?
    b) How else do you inevitably pit Hulk vs. Thor in the movie? (it has to happen once, right? Despite it being a "buddy travel movie")
    c) Grandmaster is one of the few powerful enough to bring Hulk from another realm.

Hopefully it works out that way, if I'm judging from the cast alone this movie looks great. It might even end up being the best movie of the trilogy. (I'm not saying that's a massive accomplishment)

Kevin Feige has called this movie the "Winter Soldier of phase 3".