1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jared Goff

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ItsMyFault, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I was about to ask the question how good is he really? Sure thing like luck? I wanted to know people's thoughts on goff and a really good breakdown of him and his game.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Double

#62 Ottomaton, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn't matter. BOB will decide his elbows are too pointy and we'll take Joey Bosa or Nkemdiche #1 overall.

Just saw that Robert Nkemdiche caught a TD pass this year. That pretty much seals the deal. He's our guy. We'll have the greatest 2 TE set comprised of D linemen in the history of the NFL.

#63 Ottomaton, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  4. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

He definitely isn't a sure thing. Those QBs like Luck/Manning are once a decade type guys.

I liken him to Eli Manning (The Good Version). His ability to read the defense is what sets him apart from the rest. He is given full reign of the offense at the line of scrimmage and can audible if he so chooses.

His footwork is good, and he shows signs of improving, but a little inconsistent, tends to throw off his back foot at times. He is improving, but needs to work on that consistency.

He's got great feel for pressure, and understands defensive schemes enough to know when he's responsible for guys himself. However he does have issues with fumbling, which can be taught out of him. He tends to not protect the ball under pocket pressure, usually because he's trying to keep the play a live as long as possible, vs living for another play.

Has nfl arm strength, very accurate, and throws with anticipation.

He's small for his height though, and definitely needs to bulk up because he will not survive the NFL grind at his current size. Not a tremendous athlete by any stretch, not a scrambler, shouldn't be running bootlegs. Works primarily out of the shotgun. (a la Peyton Manning)

Been a starter since he was a freshman, and the quality of play has only gone up as he progressed. The talent around him hasn't been that good, but he seems to be rising above that this year, making his guys better.

He does tend to press however, trying to make something out of nothing and that's when he makes mistakes and throws INT. I think a lot of that has to do with the talent level surrounding him. Usually, this occurs early in games, and once things settle he's usually even-killed and very consistent.

He comes up big in the clutch. With games on the line he rises to the occasion and elevates his play to meed the demand.

People will play down his stats and ability due to the spread offense he plays in, but his skill set and play speak for themselves. He would be just as good in a pro-style offense.

The guy is also very bright and is a bookworm. He loves to study and improve his game mentally. Thrives to have the mental edge on the field. Chose Cal partly due to its academics.

1 person likes this.
  5. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Yeah, but is he as smart as Ryan Mallet?

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Repped. Thanks exactly what I was looking for. Would you say he's far more advanced at the mental part of the game than teddy was? Because I remember teddy being praised for all the same things. Film study control of the offense at the line of scrimmage and reading defenses etc. I have also heard about the system he runs and I have heard he hasn't even called a HUDDLE any truth to that? And how do you think he will fair from playing under center? Which is totally different than operating from shotgun.

7. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Yeah, they don't huddle, same as Louisville with Teddy. The plays are signaled from the sideline, but he has full control at the line. He can change plays and coverages as he sees fit. I don't think there's much of a difference with that and huddling, nearly the same steps, just no play calling before they line up.

Him and Teddy are pretty similar on the mental side of the game. Both had control of the line and audibles. Both had very good pocket presence. Always extending plays as long as possible, and they both read defenses a lot better than other college QBs. And like Teddy, being this developed as a college QB will only make the transition to the NFL that much easier.

Although he plays out of the shotgun, I don't think playing under center will hurt him as much because he doesn't rely on athletic ability. He isn't playing any sort of run option out of shotgun. I do however feel that you don't just throw him under center and allow him to sink or swim. Slowly work him into it until it's just as natural from playing out of the gun. His footwork is good enough now to be able to make drops out of center, but he'll obviously need to get more practice/playing time for it to become natural to him. The game is a lot faster when you're having to drop back and read the defense, vs just reading the defense in shotgun. There will be a transition period there.

8. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

Luck aint a once in a decade guy, jay cutler 2.0, cant throw an out route to save his life

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Tell the Colts to please let us have him

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Just some quick thoughts since Ive been watching Cal's games this season. The dude is a gamer. He wasnt as successful last year in terms of win/loss, but he was just as accurate as he is now. Watching him play, makes me really believe that he would thrive in this offense. He is sneaky athletic, and is starting to put more weight(220) on his 6 4 frame.

He has some serious weapons this year on offense that has helped him be more successful/balanced offense...but when called upon, Goff throws dimes. Even in the face of pressure, Goff stands tall in the pocket and makes good decisions. His greatest attribute: accuracy. He has decent arm strength, but his placement compensates for any lack of zip...but He will be a terrific starting QB in the NFL.

11. Summer Song Giver

I want Connor Cook. This guy, spread offense Blaine Gabbert looks scares the bejeebus out of me..... bring on Cook.

12. orosiriley

orosiriley Member

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I'd be interested in seeing Goff or Cook. No more just "getting this QB because he played for OB" please...

14. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Everyone knows its going to be Hackenberg. Texans probably pick around #10 or so. Still to high to draft Hack but he may not last until when the Texans pick 2.

15. YaoMayne

YaoMayne Member

Just a Thought But what if we end up picking 12th or 13th and we know Goff and Cook are going top 5 do we move up?

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Mock drafts have us around #10-11 so Hackenburg can certainly fall there. Would Elliot be too early for this spot?

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Do what you can to trade up…give up whatever picks are necessary. This team is not going to do anything without a QB…if it means giving up a 2nd round pick this year, next year, and some additional mid round picks to move up 5-6 spots to get either Goff or Cook, you make that move.

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Nope. I would take him in heartbeat at that spot even over hackenberg.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I personally think he is better than Teddy at the mental game. Well.. maybe the same. But for whatever reason, perhaps because he isn't an amazing athlete, or because he's seen a lot of pressure over 3 years of starting, he is exceptional when under pressure to date.

See this article: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/05/why-cals-jared-goff-is-our-no-1-qb/

If you want a more detailed look, this one is helpful: https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...-goff-is-the-best-qb-prospect-in-the-country/

Key takeaways:
    - Incredibly accurate
    - Incredibly accurate, despite being pressured often
    - Incredibly accurate, while getting rid of the ball quickly
    - Incredibly accurate and successful on deep balls
    - Willing and exceptional pocket passer, even though it is a spread offense
    - Higher passer rating under pressure than not under pressure
    - Great NFL QB size, except for bulk at the moment

Regarding negatives, he still needs to get better, despite the amazing stats above, at post-snap reads. But he clearly has the intelligence. And he doesn't run a proto-typical pro-style offense. And he is still light of frame.

But to me, he is the best master of the pocket, with intelligence, great arm, etc. since Luck. I know others will point to Winston, or Mariota, but I personally prefer Goff. I think his pocket presence is where he comes in #1.

But time will tell. I'm not usually a prognosticator of college players, or a root for this guy to join your team bandwagon. I just let it play out, though I did want them to pick Teddy. But given the Texans situation, I've followed more closely and if I had to say this is the pick that will show I can be an NFL scout (I can't!), it's Goff.

1 person likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Bill Obrien is real big on accuracy.