1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Planned Parenthood Director caught on tape selling aborted baby parts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I hear you. I feel how I feel about abortion, but I don't foist my belief on others.

That said...if they are selling the fetal tissue, then it moves the needle to me. At the very least, their books should be open and all revenue declared to determine if they are in need of federal funds.

I accept legal abortion. I am ok with using the tissue for stem cell research and the resulting medical advances. I am far from ok with the government borrowing millions to fund it if it could stand in its own.

2. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Hey Giddy.

You've posted on this topic several times, so I probably should have left it alone. I thought your use of vigilante was odd, and I responded.

PPs been a significant player around contraception, education and womens health at the time abortion rates have gone down. So I should have said contributed to the decline, rather than imply they were the sole cause. I think it would be hard to argue otherwise if you look at the data around actual abortion rates during the time of PPs prominence.

They are absolutely unapologetic advocates of access to abortion too. Which isn't inconsistent with working towards reduced unintended pregnancies and the correspondent decline in abortion rates. That whole safe, legal and rare thing.

On the legality thing -- you're right, that laws change. So, though I disagree with their point of view I have a degree of respect for those who lobby to change the law around the legality of abortion or anything else. Not so much for those who try to just make it unattainable because they disagree with the law itself. Especially when they use false arguments and force clinics to shut down creating regulations that are too onerous. And when there's implied equivalency between shooting doctors and a legal abortion, and when doctors at certain clinics fear for their lives its not abortion that should be described as villantism.

And the vids did make a point. Enough so that various states conducted investigations. So far all have cleared PP. It's tough for me to gauge the attitudes of practitioners discussing medical procedures -- especially from a vid that was designed to paint them in the worst possible light. I do give them a slight pass, however, given the source, and as I'm not familiar with the manner in which these things are discussed. I suspect I'd be pretty grossed out to hear shop talk re funerals, organ transplants, etc too.

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

How exactly are you going to make the abortion rate fall faster than it already has?

4. Nook

Nook Member

They are not allowed to sell it for profit and as far as I know have not done so.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Federal funds are not used for abortions. And the tissue that is sold is on the order of hundreds of dollars, not millions. People act like PP is raising all this money. They are not.

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

That was my first-ever use of the term "vigilante" in the context of this discussion but I think it is appropriate. That mother is eradicating the thing which she considers to be causing her a problem now and in the future. It's a little misleading because vigilantes normally operate outside of the law, but I was more intrigued by the recklessness and short-sightedness attached to the term.

I'm sure that PP has done a lot of good in the areas of sex education and birth control distribution, but I am mortified that my teenagers cannot take an ibuprofen at school without a note but can go to PP and get birth control and possibly even an abortion with the help of a judge without a note and, in fact, without my even knowing. On their website, PP teaches them how to get around alerting their parents with regards to insurance et al. Look at the happy picture of the mother with her daughter. This is from the page where PP is instructing teens under 18 how to navigate these choppy waters without alerting their parents. How misleading is this? Smiling mom being hoodwinked by her daughter with the assistance of PP:

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/abortion/parental-consent-notification-laws

Must be okay cause that mom is smiling broadly. I wouldn't expect any other kind of picture. The released videos, of course, have a point of view. Is it "unfair" that they are so hard-hitting? Did the events depicted in the videos not happen? Did the discussions captured or described in the videos not happen? I've seen no evidence of that, just a lot of complaining that the videos are one-sided.

As I've said numerous times, I'm not the least bit motivated by any profit angle on this tissue-selling thing... as if operating at a loss would make it noble. The callous attitude toward these innocent lives is what motivates me to come down hard on these folks. They are in the tank FOR abortion. For God's sake, they couldn't work around abortion if they weren't unmoved by it. Where are all the PTSD sufferers who worked at abortion clinics for the past forty years? There aren't any.

Or maybe there are... and they are underground with it? That's even more indicting.

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Shocked, SHOCKED I TELL YOU!!!!

Republicans Caught Red-Handed Hiding Unedited Planned Parenthood Videos From Democrats

House Republicans have been holding the unedited footage from the Planned Parenthood smear videos for two weeks, and are refusing to allow Democrats to view the tapes.

But the videos were obviously heavily edited, and now that the Republicans have obtained the full versions, they are reluctant to allow anyone to see them.

8. giddyup

Dastardly enough for my tastes:

"While eating a salad and drinking red wine, she casually discusses which tissues are valued by researchers and how to preserve those tissues while conducting abortions. Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards has apologized for Nucatola’s “tone” and manner of speaking, which House Speaker John Boehner condemned as “cavalier” in calling for a congressional investigation."

9. mclawson

mclawson Member

How is that dastardly? She's not eating the fetal tissues. If some tissue is more valuable to researchers than others then why not make the effort, especially if it leads to something as huge as the polio vaccine. Is it because she was discussing work while eating? We have that policy at my house too, so if that's it, I get it.

1 person likes this.
  10. giddyup

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QVoJSgPpX9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Do some basic research. None of the funding goes towards abortion, it goes towards the other services. If they take away the funding, the people need to pay for it and the purpose of planned parent hood is to help women get basic health services without having to go broke or get sick or have an unwanted pregnancy.

Things like free contraception help reduce abortions mate.

12. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

No, she thought she was speaking with professionals in this area. Listen to a doctor speak about your health condition do another doctor, could be described the same way. It is common sense.

13. giddyup

... to the de-sensitized.

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

All docters are de-sensitized about their work. Otherwise they cannot do their Job. I have a good friend who works with children with cancer who they cannot treat anymore. You try doing that job and not de-sensitize.

15. giddyup

That job has to be done. It's about saving lives. This other...

16. mclawson

mclawson Member

Has also saved countless lives via medical research.

17. giddyup

Net loss or net gain? Nevermind, that's not really the point...

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why don't you spoiler that sh(t, man!? I'm not reading this thread to look at that. PUT A SPOILER ON IT.

19. giddyup

Nah. Face reality. There are too many who fail to realize or acknowledge that a woman's right to choose is actualized with the decapitation of her little baby girl inside of her.

I won't sanitize the ugliness for the sake of comfort.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think the dastardly part for tastes is that she was mixing red wine and salad - it was probably a house cab or something way too full-bodied.

Without more information, I'd say that a pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc would be a much better fit.