1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nachbar news

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sendman, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Sendman

Sendman Member

Preparation game for Europen championship:

Slovenian NT in first friendly game destroyed Israel by 83-64. In the end of the first period they lead by 17 points and had their largest lead at 62:31 with three minutes remaining in the third period. Bostjan Nachbar (207-G/F-80) scored 23 points including six 3-pointers :cool: and Slovenians shot amaizing 75 percent (12-of-16) from 3-point range but made only 3-of-12 free throws.

Slovenia-Israel 83:64 (25:8, 41:25, 68:47; Jurak 11, Lakovic 5, Duscak 8, Gorenc 5, Petrov 11, Kraljevic 2, Nachbar 23, Tusek 11, Jurkovic 2, Golemac 6 - Lubin 5, Halperin 2, Sharp 14, Schenfeld 4, Shelef 7, Shaffar 13, Kozikaro 6, Green 10, Gordon 2).

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

If only he could do that here :confused: .

3. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

He may get his chance this year. Last year he had the groin injury and just never got going and into the rotation. This year he is lookin good and might very well make the rotation. Will be great to see.

4. DanCaspi

DanCaspi Member

yeah... shots it right in the wrong time.

Go Israel! :)

5. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I don't know if the Rockets made the right move in bringing him up with the team last year. He could've used an extra year of seasoning over in Europe. If he doesn't show that he is ready in the preseason again, I hope that the management consider keeping him in Europe, just so he can get some playing time.

6. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

If we only played Israel here.

7. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Probably now people will include Boki when considering why we left Posey. Boki is the only person who could, with his play, justisfy the decision. AD and Pike would only be insurance and an option to buy so more time if needed. At this point it seems there will be nights when he lights it up and nights when he does not, at least for this season.

8. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I'm just waiting for Rice to be injuried. Because untill he is out of the picture, Nachbar is playing 3rd maybe 4th string to Rice, Griffin, and/or Pike.

I know he can't start right now, but I would like to see him come off the bench in the same fashion that Cat did a few years ago.

9. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Hot, I hope you are wrong. There are 3 reasons that, I hope, indicate he is getting a lot of playing time. First this Dennis guy seems to suggest that Boki is the man for that position and after being a 13th pick and with a year in the league, this is a time to see what we have. Second, the emphasis in the SL was Boki, Boki and more Boki. Like all the other players in the SL who had 30 point games, he is being prepared for significant pt. Third, the decision to give up Posey and his defensive and fast break skills must have hinged on the confidence that Boki is ready or just about. Rice should and will not be heavily featured. Rice should be like Steve Smith this year. Boki is very active and hopefully should be like Gino this year. I do not know who should start but Boki is in for some serious minutes and the possibilty left open for him to be the starter by season end, especially if his on-court chemistry with Ming matches is off-court chemistry with Ming.

10. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

please oh please let this be a sign. I am still unhappy with the lack of PT he got last year.....maybe he just needs PT...I am pulling for the guy, but we still need another fix at the 3 to compliment him until we can make a true assessment and gauge his future...

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Open or not, that's still a sweet stroke that should eventually translate over. But we've seen no sign of it here.

12. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

A player is a player. Boki is one - a damn good one and he will surely dealiver this upcoming season.

13. itzIce

itzIce Member

Let Boki play!!! Let Boki play !!! Let Boki play !!!

Vote SF BOKI NACHBAR starter 2003 -'04

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree with Dearrock. All indications point to the coaching staff's intention to use Boki extensively this season. They must have seen something about him that we didn't.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Well, look, Jeff, teams are already clearing cap space thinking they can go after our boy Yao in a couple years."

"As if that would ever happen, CD."

"I know, I know, but we can't take the chance. We have to make sure Yao's happy here. Trading away his best buddy on the team ain't gonna do it."

"I know, CD, but hell, you saw Boki in the summer leagues. I mean, the kid could go to the beach at Galveston and not hit the Gulf of Mexico with a frisbee. Or am I being too vague about this?"

"Look, he got a case of the jitters. Call it 'performance anxiety.' It happens. He'll be fine when he settles in."

"All right, OK. We need to see what we have in the kid. But I'm gonna throw him into the deep end. So he'd better swim, 'cause if he tries to hold onto the edge of the pool, I'll step on his fingers. Fair enough?"

"OK, Jeff, that's all I ask."

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The thing is that the summer league is totally different than the NBA for role players. In the summer league, Boki was the goto guy and had to create his own shot. When he plays in the NBA, he will never have to create his own shot. At least, I hope not. He will have to hit open shots on dish outs from Francis and Yao. He will also have to cut without the ball to the basket and hope for a pass. From what I've seen, I think he can do this.

Just think of Bruce Bowen. Do you think he would light it up against summer league players if he was the goto guy? I doubt he would even average over 10 points a game if he had to do that.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I believe you, rockbox. One could also say that summer leagues feature inferior competition; but I believe Boki'll be all right.

Funny how I give Boki the benefit of the doubt but not Eddie. OK, I give'em both the benefit of the doubt.

At least Boki will get some court time this year.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It would be really nice to hear a bit from Grega about how Boki has coped with a tough first season and what his expectations are for next season...but I would understand if that is not possible :).

19. Coog

Coog Member

You know, it is entirely possible that Boki's skills just don't measure up to what is necessary in the NBA. Obviously, he is more comfortable in the European leagues, but if he is going to make it over here, he's going to have to adapt.

I'll grant you, Rudy and his staff were never great at developing young talent--he was always more comfortable with veterans who already understood how the NBA game was played. Maybe JVG and company can bring out what Rudy couldn't. But, then again, maybe it wasn't there to begin with.

20. mikedane

mikedane Member

I also agree with what rockbox said. He must wait for an open shot and not try to rush it and he should be able to get plenty of those with so much attention being paid to steve and yao, but he must get more playing time in order to get in sync with the team on a regular basis. Sure he still has to learn to get the ball off a little quicker and thats going to cause his shot to be off but he should be able to adjust to that in time.