1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 27, 2015.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I suggest you try it out before you say that. I personally believe its a big user experience enhancement. I'll leave it at that.

2. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

A colleague of mine demoed it for me this morning. Obviously, I wasn't impressed esp coming from an Android perspective. I could see it being an overdue improvement to Apple users.
    Again, my main point of contention, is the name.

Good day, sir.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Doesn't matter much, a good one I guess. I read that Republic Wireless and Ting are good, right now I have T-Mobile for 50 bucks a month unlimited text call and data.

I really don't use my phone for much. I don't do social media, I don't do any apps or games. Just pictures, music, internet, text&calls.

4. geeimsobored

If you dont make many phone calls, there's a T-Mobile plan that is $30 for 100 minutes, unlimited texts and 5GB of LTE (with unlimited 2g data after that) You can also get unlimited calls/text/2.5 GB of data for $35 from Cricket Wireless (Cricket runs on AT&T's network). If you make more than 100 minutes of calls and dont need 5GB of LTE, that might be a good option.

Ting is billed based on use. It's good for very low usage but once you hit a certain threshold it doesn't pay off. Ting operates on T-Mobile or Sprint's network. (your choice) Since you have T-Mobile you could bring your phone over to Ting and just activate on the T-Mobile side.

Republic Wireless operates like Google Fi. Its based on the idea that you spend a good portion of your time on wifi.

For T-Mobile, I'd recommend the LG Leon or Moto E (if you want android). Best Buy sells it for $90. For AT&T, I'd say go with the Moto E as well.

For Windows Phone I'd recommend the Lumia 640 (you can get it for $98 from Walmart for T-Mobile and $70 for the AT&T version that will work on Cricket)

1 person likes this.
  5. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Not hard to imagine an instant hard press is better than a long press and hold.

I'm still rocking a Galaxy S3; I'd love to keep it going until it really dies but it's pretty sluggish now and battery life is terrible. I'll try to hold out, but I can't help but window shop the Moto X and Nexus that just came out.

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

3D touch to me just seems to over complicate a process that probably could have been enhanced via software. I'm skeptical about it but at the same time I like the concept of having deeper menus or functions straight from the icon on the homescreen.

The demos I've seen makes it appear that there is a physical "POP" to it where the screen actually gives you feedback upon the last hard press. Seems that it can and will put some wear on the digitizer and sounds expensive to fix.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So I don't particularly like the new "payment" options.

I use AT&T. I am month to month, as I've had my current phone for 3.5 years.

So I went to an Apple Store to get a new iphone 6s Plus. It was available, I reserved it. Used to be, you could buy it outright at the Apple store, on a new 2 year contract, and get the carrier discount.

Instead now you can only buy it at full price, or use either the Apple or AT&T financing plans, which are their monthly payment programs.

I understand why someone would want to use such a program:
    - Want to upgrade more often than every 2 years
    - Don't want to be locked into a carrier
    - Need to finance it and can't pay outright

But I know I'm going to stay with AT&T and have the phone for at least 3 years. I hate the "have to buy a new smartphone every year" syndrome. Unless that is your business, no, you don't.

So I have to order it from AT&T directly - either shipped or in-store, but they don't have any in stock.

For comparison sake, I could potentially get the 6s Plus 128GB for
    - Att store, new 2 year contract, $499
    - Some kind of financing plan = $40-$45 a month, 24 months = $960 effectively

Seems like a big difference...

8. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

so whats better for the money nexus 5x or 6P?

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

The feedback doesn't come from the screen or digitizer, it's just a custom version of the vibration module/motor found in all smartphones.

When last I checked with AT&T, it wasn't any cheaper to go the contract route. It was actually more expensive on a monthly basis, as they also tended to apply discounts to their share/NEXT plans and add tethering/hotspot, which they use to charge $50 monthly for.

They're going to get their full subsidy either way, i think. At least with the payment thing you aren't on contract, and could conceivably pay off the remainder of the phone when you wanted, making it yours before the two years is up.

In addition (though unfortunately this applies less to ATT), the carriers are a little more willing to discount the iPhone on their payment plans, meaning you could end up paying a little less per month and overall.

#649 Coach AI, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  10. Victorious

Victorious Member

if you dont care about screen size, go with 6P. its the better phone on paper.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It is really hard to figure it all out, that's for sure.

But I'm grandfathered into at&t unlimited data. I don't abuse it, but I do spend a fair amount of time on LTE, even when I'm in wireless range - often the LTE just works better. A quick check and I'm consistently over 9GB per month. Last month I was at 19 GB. I pay $80 per month, which goes up to $90 with taxes, etc. And that's including a "text message" charge which I can cut down on really.

If I look at ATT plans, something similar now would cost me well over $150 per month, because of the data i use. 18GB on Verizon is a $120 base charge.

TMobile is $80 base for unlimited data, but then I have to buy the phone outright with no "discounts". I will say if I wasn't grandfathered in, TMobile seems far and away the best of the traditional carriers from a pricing perspective.

So this might just be unique to me in that I'm grandfathered into ATT at a great price. But literally the price difference for me, if I went with the 128 GM 6s PLUS is $499 (paid upfront) versus $960 (paid monthly). Just for the $499 I have to "reup" with ATT for another 2 years which I have no problem doing since I have a great deal there.

12. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/0...-gen-apparently-wont-get-android-6-0-updates/

this is awful. motorola flagship phone just barely over a year old not getting android 6.0 update on the two biggest carriers in the country. this is why folks should only buy unlocked devices. it's one of the few reasons fragmentation. of you care about updates, buy unlocked.

also so much for moto assist.

13. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

the point remains, they're pushing this 3D touch real hard when it is a very minor upgrade in the smartphone industry. The thing I never really liked about my work iphone is the lack of long press features.... so even if they've come up with something slightly improved, it's long overdue

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Sometimes I miss the precision of my blackberry trackpad/roller ball. Copy and paste is so much more efficient.

15. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

[​IMG]

16. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

That's absurd. If he didn't care about screen size, then the 5X. The 5X is actually a better value for most people, if they can manage 16gb.

17. geeimsobored

You should check out the blackberry venice (the new android blackberry) then. They use the keyboard as the trackpad like they have in past BB models.

Also not to beat the 3D touch item into the ground, but one of its benefits is improved copy paste functions. It actually is smoother (although its still a smartphone so there will still be issues)

18. astros123

astros123 Member

anyone else have the galaxy edge plus? the new edge screen sucks compared to the old one, i have the galaxy note edge and it was way better. way easier to use and way more functionality. really thinking about returning it and getting just the note 5. VERY disappointed.

with the old one if you recieved a phone call it would display on your edge screen making it much more easier, plus you could get more themes/aps on it. wtf did samsung do?

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Not really germane to my point or what it's aimed at. Underhyped, overhyped, it's irrelevant to me. None of that affects how a product works when it's in your hands. If this works better than so be it. And part of Apple's job is to promote the hell out of their products and I'm glad they are as a shareholder.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Then you might want to look into the Blackberry Priv…Blackberry and Android having a baby…best of both worlds.