1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

If you know what I know, then why aren't you a Muslim too?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sane, Aug 9, 2003.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

According to this guy Ayesha was 9 at time of marriage...

She was 9

QUESTION:

What was the age of Aisha when the prophet married her?

ANSWER:

A'isha was born in 614 A.D., Although the marriage was performed earlier,
    it was not consummated until 623 or 624 A.D.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Seems kind of strange to have sex with a 10 year old girl.

DD

2. DaDakota

Supporting Member

One more point.

David Koresh claimed to be the son of god, as did Jim Jones, and on and on and on.....

The world is full of people who claim to be the son of good, most of them died out, but a few started successful religions.

Religion is a human creation, at least in my mind.

DD

3. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Like I said before, Religion vs. Culture. Much of the bedoin culture was incorporated into the religion by the people and items such as the Burkha (the black covering over a woman) was actually created by the Ottoman Turks almost 400 years after the death of the Prophet of Islam. In Islam the first word by Gabriel to Muhammad was "read". The irony of that is that the Islamic world is one of the most illiterate, and intellectually deprived regions in the world. I believe this illiteracy and lack of education has allowed the extremists to manipulate the religion for their own benefit. Its kind of like the News Stations, you have to scare the people into not coming back.

Though in the religion it is prohibited for there to be a religious caste of people, there has become one. And ironically, Islam was the first civilization to grant women the rights of inheritance, yet the women today have little rights.

Education will change all of that in time. The economics of a third world nation is conducive to the growth of extremist ideas as people try to make sense of the misery of their lives.

4. Friendly Fan

Friendly Fan PinetreeFM60 Exposed

Mohammed's excuse was she told him she was 11

yeah, that's my kind of religious leader

sure he wasn't a Catholic priest?

5. F.D. Khan

The site you quoted was that of a Shiite Muslim community in which many believe Muhammad was not supposed to recieve the message, but it was meant for Ali, his nephew.

BTW... US law had 10 years old as the official minimum age for marriage until 60 years ago.

6. reallyBaked

reallyBaked Member

A prophet that can be fooled by a 9 year old girl?

If Mohammed fell for that, why wouldn't it be equally as likely he was fooled by Allah into thinking he was a prophet?

:D

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Khan,

And that makes it ok...BEEECAAAUUUSSSEEEE?????????

8. F.D. Khan

That just tells you that if people married younger 60 years ago, then they probably married even earlier 1300 years ago genius.

BTW if you read the facts about her age, you'll see that she was probably 16 or 17. Of course that might have been a little long for you to read, I know you prefer one or two sentences for explanations and commentary.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if you're truly interested...which somehow i doubt...read the Gospel of Thomas. it has lots of stories about Jesus and his boyhood. but ultimately, his ministry really didn't commence until he was 30.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Of course Khan,

I should accept the word of someone who was a member of the local "Fight club" and is a known religious scholar.

Whatever dude, I read your pathetic attempt at explaining the age of Mohammeds bride.

Then you said it was ok because America had a law 60 years ago saying the same thing.

The Muslim faith is all about controlling the people, look to the Q'ran for everthing...no need to think for yourselves people your life has already been decided, just read the Q'ran.

No thanks.

Max,

I have read the Book of Thomas, and in fact have read the bible many times....

I have no problem with the teachings of any religion as most of them are common sense rules anyway.

However, when people try to brow beat others into believing ONE WAY over another, I just can't agree.

My hypothesis, is that none of us really knows the truth, and since all religions are based upon man made books and myths, there is no way of finding out until death.

No harm, no foul.

DD

11. MadMax

I'm not sure who's done any browbeating here. There has been some frank discussion..but I see nothing wrong with that.

I know a thousand other people with the same hypothesis. You say religions are based upon man-made books...I say Christianity is born from the very life of a man named Jesus who walked the planet...that the Gospels are accounts of his life here among those who knew him...what you brazenly call "myth" i absolutely call "history."

i'm not trying to be a jackass...but i want you to understand that your position is every bit as much absolute as mine is.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Max,

I do believe that Jesus lived and walked the earth, and did great things.

However, the bible was written a long time after he walked the earth, and thus was prone to human embellishment.

I admire your faith, good for you, just not for me.

DD

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You think a couple of decaded while many eyewitnesses were still alive was "a long time"? Do you believe in Elvis?

14. F.D. Khan

DaDakota,

I don't necessarily believe in one religion to the T. I believe in God and I believe that Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad were messengers of God. I don't feel that I need a religious guide to live a spiritual life, but some may need it.

If you don't believe in God, that is fine. The way I look at it is that its a win-win situation for me then. If there is no God we both end up in the ground anyway, but if there is, I think i'll be in better shape than you....;)

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Khan,

I believe in God, I just don't believe in religion.

God did not create religion, man did.

DD

1 person likes this.
  16. Friendly Fan

Friendly Fan PinetreeFM60 Exposed

you Da man

as Mark Twain said it

God created man, and man returned the favor.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There are those that say man created God. What's your basis for believing a God even exists? When you say you "believe in God" are you talking about a Christian God or just some being/force that's out there?

18. MadMax

i would agree...though I wouldn't put limits on God's ability to work through religion in peoples' lives.

19. Bartski

Bartski New Member

Agreed

You make excellent points. I'd like to add to your reasoning, if I may. I grew up Catholic, but am no longer involved in any religion. There is an old Latin hymn that was sung at a ceremony called 'Benediction'. One of the lines says "Praestet fides supplementum sensuum defectui." , meaning "faith supplies what the senses cannot discern." My preference for viewing the world & universe in which we live is for things the senses CAN discern. Religions have always tended to exploit the most universal fear/concern of all humanity from the beginning of time. That being : What happens to us; if anything; after we die?

20. Nivos

Nivos Member

Sane,
    I would first like to say how much I appreciate your post and your way of trying to hear others and say your opinion without resulting to cinisizm and anger like most threads here.
    It is so important to be able to talk to each other even when you're coming from a completely opposite opinion.

Now, I am a secular Jew. What does that mean? I believe in god (believe is not really the right phrase as it makes it an opinion. Feels god would better describe it I guess in a lack of a better word).
    So what is it that makes me a jew? And if I feel this IS the right religion?
    To be honest, for me being a Jew feels special. I can't describe it nor put it in words. It's a collective history of thouthands of years within me. Its a special bond to the past when we sit for passover with the whole family to appreciate our freedom, to appreciate that with all that happened through all of these thouthands of years we are still here, celebrating.
    I don't think there should be one true religion. I don't worry thinking about heaven because for me the bond to the past and future is through family and tradition, and this is eternity to me.
    Now regarding the wonders of the Qurann, I am sure you find it remarcable. I'm guessing you're in a prcess of what in the Jewish religion is called (in free translation from Hebrew) "going back in answer" ( as opposed to a religious person that is becoming secular which is called "going back in question").
    These " tricks" of finding special meaning that relate to our present is in aboundmant in the bible and is being used to "bring back in answer" secular Jews to prove that the word of the bible is the truth.
    My only problem is if god really wrote those books he promissed to protect the Jews, told the cristians that they should kill everyone that is not a Cristian and then told Muslims to kill everyone that is not a muslim.
    We got screwed! He never told us to kill anyone that is not a Jew! So whats up with that? Not fair!