1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] FINALLY! Rockets unveil black alternate jersey for 2016-17 season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 15, 2015.

1. bmd

bmd Member

It is kind of a cool design... but for something like a desktop background.

Not an NBA jersey.

It's like how plaid bedding might look good in a bedroom but you wouldn't want a plaid NBA jersey.

Really what it tells me is that people have a terrible sense of design and don't really know what they want.

I mean, people hate on the pinstripe jerseys all the time... call them the worst jerseys in sports history. Too cartoonish. But at the same time praise a uniform with a red to black gradient with little white dots all over it and a cartoon rocket ship with cartoon fire shooting down the sides of the jersey. That might be even more silly than the pinstripe jersey.

2. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Universally loved? That design is one of the worst. The one tweeted last night was off the hook and some dr34m project ones were solid.

3. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

I think most people are pretty let down by these new jerseys. Is there any way we can start a petition for Les to let him know that some of the biggest fans of his organization can't stand the jerseys? Is he aware, or is he still trying to market towards his Chinese fans? I don't see many Chinese fans coming to Houston and dropping BIG $$$ on playoff tickets...

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Folks have been complaining for years. . .nada, nothing.

They said they read/heard the fans wanting a black jersey.

I guess they conveniently skipped over the part where fans want new [main] jerseys. ;)

5. malakas

malakas Member

I agree. If these were made they would be the most hideous jerseys in the league. Worse than the Clippers'.

6. bmd

bmd Member

I'm sure they're aware.

I wonder what the reasoning is for not changing a hated design for more than a decade, with seemingly no desire to change it going forward.

7. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

honestly Id be happy just if on throwback night they actually wore a throwback jersey...

8. PJ86

PJ86 Member

The problem is not that it is hated, the problem is that they cannot recognise themselves how ugly, mainly the road jerseys are. The choice for grey is just ridiculous, the stripes themselves are cool imo but underneath the armpits are just way too big, the infamous shoulder cut and the lack of a high v-neck when you buy it (for players they've adjusted them) makes them mediocre if not bad.

The font change has made them worse though, just way off and a copy of the Pacers' font, what is that about? It doesn't match anymore so I really wonder what kind of dumb people are working for the Rockets / NBA and Adidas.

Adidas' change of the jersey material (revolution 30 or something) was just the last straw. I actually like the home whites before the font and material change. I adjusted the v-neck so that it matched how players wear them. I can live with wide shoulders and the stripes underneath the armpits cause they are barely visible.

The way they've handled the wide shoulder complaint by players for years is also baffling. They didn't change them, just cut off a piece and I'm not sure it's an improvement.

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Preach... It doesn't make any sense. Can we request an interview with the dumbass that runs our uniforms?

Also, I was hoping they announced a court change.. We have the most bland one in the league. THERE IS NO COLOR! Why isn't the paint red?

[​IMG]

The most egregious thing was that they mentioned they have been reading Clutchfans and listening to what we wanted.. The biggest complaint was different home/away jerseys.. Why don't they submit a bunch of designs to Rockets.com and the fans vote on which design they like best?

#129 WhoMikeJames, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  10. fizzgig

fizzgig Member

damn dmo has been hittin the gym

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

They had it red.

[​IMG]

More recently, red lanes, but that gone too.

[​IMG]

They like it plain.

[​IMG]

Meh, whatever.

#131 J.R., Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  12. SuraGotMadHops

Is it a requirement that if you wear a sleeved jersey it has to be a size shmedium?

13. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

If I recall correctly, it was changed at the start of the 07-08 season to look better on TV; the red would over-saturate the lighting and cause it to appear darker on television.

14. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Exactly!

I actually like the court. It's not the best, but far from the worst. Never realised the red lanes were gone, that's a bit weird though but I guess players didn't like it or something.

15. bmd

bmd Member

I don't mind the court. I think it looks nice.

This is an article from 2007:

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

The thing is, the primary uniforms have/had great potential. It's really material and slight changes to the cuts. Like you mentioned, instead of cutting off some fabric on the shoulder and squeezing in the 2 shoulder loops, why not have the shoulder loops connect as one that ends up being the trim of the top of the sleeve? You get the more muscular cut without the clutter. Then you change the neck to the cut that the Lakers/Raptors use/d with no other colored stripe on the neck. Or you can use a neck like ProjectThirtyFour did in one of his concepts which i think would look tremendous with the current primary uniforms - http://projectthirtyfour.blog.com/files/2012/03/P34-Rockets-Home1.jpg

Use an original and unique Number Font that matches the uniforms wordmark and logos better. (I did like the original number font as it was unique, but too small)

Now, use a regular fabric for all of the uniform's main color(white home, red away). Then use a shiny fabric like the mid 2000s type of fabric solely on the shoulder and shorts loops. That should keep them from looking dull(especially the aways).

I also would love the Wordmark and number fonts to be stitched.

As far as these new uniforms. The Clutch City rates 1/10. 1 point for using the old color scheme. The Grey(even the name of the color sounds dull)5/10. I rated them a 2 at first, but i actually find the side designs to be pretty neat minus those damned sleeves. Just hate everything else especially the primary color being grey(hello spurs). The Black is 7/10. Simple. Wouldn't mind that design for primary home and away with red and gold as the main colors. Too simple for black which means it looks too similar to Toronto, and Portland. Black is also another primary Spurs color but oh well. Space is black after all. We probably have more reason to use black than other teams.

At the end of the day, they read Clutch Fans so they know how most of us feel. A simple, classic look that reminds us of our championship identity(STOP overusing yellow, its supposed to be only a trim color).

AND if you really didn't want to rebrand. You can do what ProjectThirtyFour did with his concept giving us the championship look while keeping the logos, and wordmarks the same or only slightly changed. You just need to add yellow/gold as an official secondary color. P34's example of away uniform here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHLpv3mUAAABep4.jpg
    Make the appropriate home version of that, and go out and win a championship while looking good.

OH! ONE LAST THING. In case someone with the Rockets staff is reading fan input for notes. PLEASE do something with our home floor. It is without a doubt the most BORING and uninspiring home floor in the entire NBA. Honestly, the Houston Rockets have never had a beautiful home floor. Even the championship days floor was boring.
    Research colors and moods. Red is the most intense color and attracts attention. This should be the majority color of the floor(BTW deepen our teams Red color. It's too light and faded looking adding to the dull look of everything). But, red can also be a great accent color if white was used as the majority color. White is pure, neutral and matches anything. It also reflects light. How cool would all the jumpotron lights look reflecting off the white? Plus no one else uses it. I only recall the Blazers early 90s team using it in the paint for a few seasons. http://i.ytimg.com/vi/xwRwrVQy9E8/maxresdefault.jpg

Yellow inspires optimism but is the hardest color to take in. It needs to be only slightly used. For example the twitter handle and website in the corners can be yellow. Or perhaps "Clutch City" in yellow like where the Cavs floor says "All for one One for all."

As for the wood finish. Experiment with what looks best with out colors. Everyone loves the Nets dark wood floor, but would it look good with our team colors? For sure with white and red used an accent but maybe not the other way around.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

and 'plain jane' describes the new black ones that most here seem to like. i guess the front office is not going to be able to please every fan, but personally i tend to prefer something more unique and inventive for our jersey's..

18. bmd

bmd Member

It's a basketball jersey. "Unique and inventive" usually means doing something that looks ridiculous.

The Rockets jerseys that they have now would be "unique and inventive"... but most people think it sucks.

Most people love the Celtics uniforms, and those are some of the most plain in the league.

Same with the Hakeem era Rockets uniforms... those are very simple and plain, yet most people here LOVE those.

I think most people prefer simple and clean uniforms but they just don't realize it.

19. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I like the idea behind the "Clutch City" jerseys but holy cow is the execution off. Much prefer these:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Did these concepts a couple months back when rumor of a Clutch City uni were coming out. More palatable, right? <a href="http://t.co/TLHvv84y72">pic.twitter.com/TLHvv84y72</a></p>&mdash; Conrad Burry (@conradburry) <a href="https://twitter.com/conradburry/status/643851992939528192">September 15, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

I'm not a big fan of any of the jerseys.

(1) Black - just looks way too plain; looks like a college team jersey
    (2) Gray - backpack straps?
    (3) Clutch City - font looks just so childish and it's too big

I honestly think the current alternative ketchup and mustard jerseys look better than any of these.