1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard Looking for 30 million in offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Mattician

Mattician Member

It would suck if the Rockets don't get Durant and Howard leaves.

2. lionaire

lionaire Member

I hope if we have a commitment from a certain star next offseason, he would take a little paycut to make things work

3. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

and his gimpy knee......

4. StevieCrossover

If Dwight makes can make 60% of his free throws, I'd pay him 30 Mil.

5. Mattician

Mattician Member

If it comes down to Durant or Howard getting 30 million, I'd pay Durant.

That's a big if, and if Durant returns back to MVP form.

6. baubo

baubo Member

When was the last time Brian Windhorst had an actual scoop?

Dwight may or may not be asking for 30mil next offseason, but I'm guessing a lot of it depends on how this season goes.

7. OpenLayup-Why3?

Explain why Durant would want to sign with Howardless Rockets? What do we have what OKC doesn't? When Durant resigns with OKC I should be given a medal or something, because it seems when it comes to Durant topic, I'm the only one who thinks clearly. HE'S NOT SIGNING WITH HOUSTON!!!

8. Mattician

Mattician Member

I don't think he's going to sign with the Rockets either.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

What gives you the idea that Westbrook intends to re-sign with OKC the following year?

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

WindSources claims that "The Rockets Might be the Only Team Willing to pay That"...

When has Morey ever been known to pay above market that much?

My guess is that Howard wants the max, and the Rockets want to be in the mix, but have a "wait and see" what the market is first.

Also nobody knows more about Dwight's longterm health than the Rockets, and the risk you would be assuming. If there is something they know that they are trying to keep on the downlow Dwight could become a darkhorse trade candidate, or you could see them quietly setup a process to move on from Dwight this offseason.

My person belief is that they want him back for another 3 to 4 years but at the max (30+ mil) I think they let him walk.

Good news is I don't see a huge market for Dwight so therefore Supply and Demand will dictate that they come to the table and get a deal together that makes sense for both parties.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight's gonna want to get as much money as he can, as he should.

Selfishly I hope he takes a discount, but wouldn't be mad at him if he doesn't.

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

What's your take on Spalding?

13. OpenLayup-Why3?

Nets gave max to B. Lopez. He has injuries problem just like Dwight, if not more. But Brooklyn were desperate to resign him, according to some people. I think Morey might be desperate to resign Dwight too, because who else is there at C to get if not Dwight? Harden and Howard may not be close, but I wonder if being cheap and not resigning Dwight would piss James Harden off.

Oh, and Dwight is at the point of his career where he can take a pay cut to chase that ring, he's a smart guy, I'm sure he'll do that.

14. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I think there is absolutely no way Morey pays a player $30M a year who for a good portion of that contract (Dwight will want a long term deal) will be on the wrong side of 30 with injury problems.

For a young Dwight Howard who used to be an iroman irt to durability, yes, but father time has taken a toll on his body.

15. SemisolidSnake

Dwight, do you want a championship or just the money? Not that I necessarily believe the source, but Dwight had better play like Playoff Dwight for the entire season to even consider that. Every team in the league should be terrified of him. Also the $30 million should include the cost of flying his miracle stem cell knee doctor around to every Rockets game.

Also, $30 million means getting your FT% up to at least 70%, Dwight.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Lets say this team gets to the WCF or Finals and proves to be a legit contender. And Durant resigns with OKC. We should be maxed out anyway so what's the big deal?

Barring Durant coming here I think the talent level is good enough. Just keep this group together for the next few years.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i've said this before: its in both parties best interest for dwight to stay and take a slight paycut in the process.

morey has a reputation of treating players as assets rather than people. if he discards dwight (or lowballs him) it will hurt morey's chances of landing another big free agent. loyalty helps land free agents.

dwight has a reputation of wanting to have fun more than work hard to win. no contending teams will have 30M for dwight. only the bobcats, bucks, mavs, etc... if he leaves for that kind of offer its to cash in and lose. leaving a winning team for a loser would hurt his image a lot by carving that rep into stone.

while dwight wants 30m/5yr, morey wants something like 20m/3yrs. i bet they find that 25m/4yrs benefits both parties. morey shows loyalty while dwight looks like he took a paycut to stay on a winning team. both of them discredit their bad reputations.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

The fact that people still want to believe this is pretty surprising. All because of what they see tv

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think in fairness to Dwight we should let the season play out.

Guy has a right to decide his future. Maybe he will think his best chance to win a ring isn't here and it's somewhere else. He has options and he can explore them. And it's a marketplace.

20. Zbed

Zbed Member

I love Dwight and i hope he stays but if he does leave i will be pumped as hell to see what Capela can develope into.