1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Clippers Retool or Rebuild around Blake?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Chronz, May 21, 2009.

1. Chronz

Chronz Member

With all the high priced vets they got making the playoffs and winning now is a high priority.

Dunleavy preached patience all year, that he wanted to see how their trio of bigs looked together and that he could find a way to play them all 32 minutes (not to mention promising youngster DeAndre Jordan) but that was before Blake fell into our laps, so while the team knows it must free up some frontcourt minutes, they'll want quality talent in return, can they find any with the right combination of salary and skill to get them to the playoffs.

I have a few proposals and would like to know how viable an option they sound, why or why wouldnt a team make that trade:

Retooling​

Vince Carter and Bobby Simmons & Sean Williams/Yi
    • Clippers trade Z-Bo and Camby allowing Blake to start at his natural position with Kaman/DeAndre behind him. And I hear Sean may be wearing out his welcome in NJ so he would be a throw in that could prove useful in LA, if not him then Yi would be a welcome addition as a backup 4. Im sure he would love the environment LA could provide. Vince Carter becomes the immediate starter at the 3 and puts Thornton on the bench, hell if it was a deal breaker I would throw Thornton in the trade as well.
    • Why NJ does it? Financially its a wash but they get more out of this talent wise. Thornton could probably compete for their starting SF slot, Camby is their GM's (Kiki?) favorite bigman target. Z-Bo certainly has more value than Bobby Simmons right?

Rebuilding​

T-Mac's Contract
    • Clippers trade Camby+ZBo OR Kaman, the Rockets are the one team I could see having a use for Kaman if it meant the addition of Camby. The implications are that Z-Bo and Blake share the PF/C spot which could be the worse defensive pairing since Z-Bo and Curry but it completely alters their financial structure heading into the big free agent class of 2010. It leaves them pretty thin in the frontcourt but isnt that the point. Youve made room for Blake to shine.
    • Why the Rockets do it? You have to be creative here, aside from the obvious reason that it completely bolsters a frontline that without Yao and Deke heading into next year severely lacks size. Kaman and Camby could easily fill in for Yao for most of the year allowing them the luxury of limiting his minutes and his rest periods. The creative part is how Tmac responds, hes coming off knee injury, he could either whine his way out of LA and resign with the Rockets for free and prove what he has with them, or he could do it with us, either way we only need his contract so its win-win. Tmac could go where he would like after that, and the Rockets could do a wink-wink type deal where they know Tmac would get himself out.

Option 1 provides the Clippers with a team thats ready to compete now and build for the future, Option 2 throws Blake to the Wolves from the get go and provides salary relief for 2010.

Do you know of any other teams that would be interested in any of the Clippers bigmen?

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They should trade everyone.

Keep Eric Gordon, Al Thorton and Blake Griffin.

They would LOVE Tracy and Aaron Brooks or Lowry. We could have ANYONE on the clippers....

Tracy/Brooks for Baron/Camby and next years draft pick....

3. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

they shoul move to austin and become the austin slackers with a hemp leaf as their logo.

4. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

With Mike Dunleavy as the coach, the Clippers will probably end up drafting Ty Lawson or something. LOL. :D

Anyways, I did suggest retooling instead. A few years ago the Clippers were about to go the WCF, but the made the 2nd round under Elton Brand. Get Yi and Sean Williams get rid of the cancerous Zach Randolph to somewhere. I seriously suggest the Clippers firing Mike Dunleavy though, just a god awful coach. Go Hire Jeff Van Gundy or something, but Blake Griffin's career might go down the drain so I don't know.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

At first I was like "WHAT?!?! Build around Steve Blake??"

But then I realized it's the Clippers and I figured its a strong possibility.

6. ibm

ibm Member

how's this rockets/garm related?

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

It's not. That's why its in NBA Dish.

8. ibm

ibm Member

sorry... my laptop just went crazy... i swear i was on garm... :(

9. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

They will do neither. They'll just float along in the cesspool of misery that is the L.A. Clippers thanks to Donald Sterling.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That is the saddest thing of all. No one should be put in such a trying situation. I don't think there is anything that Stern can do apart from persuading Sterling to sell the team.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The Clips are the Clips. Whichever they do they'll blow it.

They should trade down with OKC and get #3 and Green + make Thunder take back a bad contract. That is what they SHOULD do IMHO - after being forced to sell to a total idiot (an improvement over Sterling) and by trading Dunleavy to the D-League.

12. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Who the hell is Z-Bo?

13. Asian Sensation

Your boy Zach Randolph lol.

Anyways, retool, rebuild, reload with new lottery picks, relocate it doesn't matter. They're still going to suck as long as Sterling is the owner and Dunleavy is at the helm of player/personnel decisions.

I see 2 choices for Clippers:

1) Sterling sells teams.

2) Sterling should fire Dunleavy. Hire Avery Johnson as head coach or throw the farm at JVG and then bring on a Morey/Pritchard-esque GM. Easier said than done but it needs to happen.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Not sure that there is much of a market for Zach Randolph, but ... the Clips need to trade Randolph if they can, since they do not want Randolph taking minutes away from Blake Griffin (if that is who they draft).

15. MONON

MONON Member

I think OKC would swap picks with the Clippers plus give them another #1 within the next 2 years for the right to draft Blake Griffin. That would be a smart move for the Clippers - but then again you're dealing with Sterling!