1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If these #1 picks were to be re-drafted in next year's draft, what would the order be?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jacoby, Sep 10, 2021.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

This draft is ordered based on their hype coming out of High School/College, not how good they were in the pro's.

'92 - Shaquille O'Neal
    '96 - Allen Iverson
    '97 - Tim Duncan
    '02 - Yao Ming
    '03 - LeBron James
    '04 - Dwight Howard
    '05 - Andrew Bogut
    '07 - Greg Oden
    '08 - Derrick Rose
    '09 - Blake Griffin
    '12 - Anthony Davis
    '14 - Andrew Wiggins
    '19 - Zion Williamson

Obviously, someone like Greg Oden didn't have a successful NBA career, but I remember him being extremely hyped coming into the draft out of Ohio State. If all these players carried their hype into the 2022 NBA Draft, how do you think the draft order would go?

2. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

This is a pretty easy sorting activity. When you get to the top, after you pick Lebron, you have to choose TD. Then, I suppose it's hard to choose Shaq?

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

pretty much bogut, wiggins, and oden

Invisible Fan and robbie380 like this.
  4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

'03 - LeBron James
    '92 - Shaquille O'Neal
    '97 - Tim Duncan
    '19 - Zion Williamson
    '96 - Allen Iverson

02 - Yao Ming
    '07 - Greg Oden
    '12 - Anthony Davis
    '09 - Blake Griffin

'14 - Andrew Wiggins
    '04 - Dwight Howard
    '08 - Derrick Rose
    '05 - Andrew Bogut

#4 plutoblue11, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    FLASH21, robbie380, Haymitch and 2 others like this.
  5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Hype is so much different from '92 to '19. Media has changed so much. I can't imagine the hype shaq and LBJ would create in today's bubble.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

LeBron was like the most hyped prospect ever maybe in any sport. Everyone knew who he was even before social media.

It's hard to pick between Duncan and Shaq. I mean Duncan would have been no 1 pick after his sophomore year, but I think I would go with Shaq cause of his personality. After that it's harder to pick.

1. LeBron
    2. Shaq
    3. Duncan

plutoblue11 and primtim24 like this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm going to cheat a bit and factor in what we do know how these players' careers play out. My mock:

1. LeBron
    2. Duncan
    3. Shaq

LeBron is a no-brainer at #1--he gives your team a dominant player who can not only will your team to the Finals but also stay on the court (e.g. rarely miss games due to injury). After that, while Shaq's dominance can't go unnoticed, I put Duncan 2nd for his ability to maintain a high level of play over a longer period of time. Shaq's peak will give you a solid 4-5 year window for championships but Duncan can anchor a team for 10+ years on both ends of the floor.

4. Iverson

It's hard to look at the kind of shots and misses AI had during his career and say "Yea I can build a team around this guy in 2021" but his durability can't be overlooked. He also brings two things that translates well in today's NBA--the ability to get to the rim and either score or get to the free throw line and his defense.

after that is a crapshoot for me. You either take on immense talents like Yao, Oden, Rose, and Howard and hope they don't have the same career-shattering injuries or you take on the guys that didn't or hasn't fulfilled their hype in WIggins or Zion.

But if we're going strictly by the amount of hype these guys had coming out of high school, college, or international ball, I don't think my top two would change because LeBron and Duncan came in to their respective drafts with a TON of hype. #3....if you're basing on hype and hype alone...it would probably be a toss up among Shaq, Yao and Oden.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

To be fair, you have to consider the era in which the players is drafted in, as well.

I know you left out Andrea Bargnani (1st overall pick, '06) but with only the knowledge from before the NBA, it'd be easy to take him in today's NBA over a player like Oden or Dwight Howard, simply because Bargnani was just as tall but could also shoot from anywhere; something Howard and Oden couldn't do. If this draft were conducted in '93, I'd imagine Bargnani wouldn't even sniff top 10.

clos4life likes this.
  9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Shaq goes #1 ... don’t kid yourself

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Shaq was more hyped than Duncan.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

1 and 2 are Shaq or LeBron
    3 Zion? I recall ridiculous hype
    4 Duncan

Wiggins/ Davis/ Oden were all pretty hyped, no??

Yao might be last. The hype turned to Jay Williams as the draft got closer

13. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Just curious, but why did you exclude guys like Chris Webber, Glenn Robinson, and Kenyon Martin but include Andrew Bogut and Greg Oden?

javal_lon likes this.
  14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Where’s Kwame Brown?

15. jacoby

jacoby Member

I am only old enough to remember basketball starting around '02 - '03, but I included some of the more well-known 90's picks to compare them with more recent players. I remember Oden being a highly sought-after prospect out of Ohio State, and I don't really remember what Bogut's hype was coming into the league so I included him for clarity.

16. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Duncan is the obvious 1st choice. Others just hype and leave.

Honerable pick Yao.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Jarrod Uthoff.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Disagree. People were watching Lebron's games when he was a sophomore in high school. And on top of that, he's asking if this draft occurred today. And in today's game the post up game is almost dead. I'd have about a half a dozen guys ahead of Shaq for that reason.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

At the snack bar posting live feeds on Instagram

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I forgot to reply back to you on this one :) I was 9 or so when Shaq got drafted so you're probably right. I just remember people were saying Duncan was the surest thing as surest things could be.

Easy likes this.